“Nice Hotel-Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #92 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Montreal, Canada
“Nice Hotel-Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel was clean, the rooms are modern, and it is located in the heart of everything. We literally walked everywhere. Staff was a bit rude, but I noticed the same rudeness throughout the surrounding shops and restaurants. Over all a nice stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were told that this was one of the best hotels in Amsterdam. Perhaps 30 years ago when it looks like it was last updated. When we arrived, we were shocked to see that the city square that it is situated in front of was full of trash, vagrants, thousands and thousands of tourists and all the debris they leave behind. It looked like thousands of cockroaches surveying about. The steps of the hotel are covered with a rubber mesh, non-slip type of covering I would imagine to be in an industrial kitchen. It's completely filthy. There was a smashed tomato right in the center of the steps and a homeless looking bum smoking and picking through the potted plant where people leave their cigarettes. While we were checking in, a gentleman came to the desk next to us and asked for change. They asked if he was a guest. He said, "Well, I used to be, I just checked out." The clerk informed him that if he was not a guest she could not give him change. He went on to explain that his party has just spent thousands and thousands of dollars at their hotel booking their convention and that he could hardly believe that they could not give him change. That should have been my first clue that this was not going to be a good experience.
When we got to our room. We were shocked to be given a view of trash cans. The room furniture was old, scratched up and in terrible condition. It looks like an old outdated college dorm room from a not-so-nice college. I called to express my displeasure. A clerk came to our room to help is look at another room. Once we
moved to this room, we discovered that it was above a street that filtered to the red light district. At night, not only did it sound like a Manchester United football game, but every loud mouthed drunkard utilizes this alleyway all night long. Additionally, because of no carpets, the floors were cold and of course if things couldn't get worse, the air or heat did not work so we froze all night long. The management finally moved us to another room in the new wing that they were updating. This room looked like a cross between the "W's" Tokyo chic and Star Trek (from the 60's.) The restroom is simply separated by a non-insulated wall of glass. Beware, when you take a shower anyone in the room can see you through the poorly frosted glass. Not a place for the self-conscious. The sound barrier between you and the rest of the hotel room (god forbid you have guests) is
like a simple shower curtain. Ladies may be very uncomfortable about making any restroom noises. Imagine going to the restroom in a room where there's simply a shower curtain between you and your suite mate. Additionally, there is NO PLACE to put your clothes. The closet has a few hangers but whoever designed the new wing simply made no provisions for dressers to put your clothes away. There's a long shelf that runs the length of one wall but where do you put your freakin' clothes??????!!! You literally have to live out of your suitcases. I forgot to mention, the restroom which tries way too hard to be modern, has a simple sink hanging from the wall. Where the Hell do I put my toothpaste and toothbrush? You actually have to put all your toiletries on the back of the bathtub and hope they don't get wet. They're trying to update the new wing and make them much more fashionable with the darkly lit hallways. It may be somewhat fashionable but the design they chose is not one that's on the comeback just yet. But, putting that aside. Fashion is great, but without function, it makes no sense. We have stayed in some the worlds nicest hotels and this hotel was absolutely horrible. Three or four different wings with varying non-functional room decor.

Okay, so at the end of the day we decide to grab some food and retire to our room to watch a movie on the movie channel that the Hotel tv's advertises. Sadly, we find out that they're not offering that service that they're advertising. It's not in our wing they tell us. Then why advertise it? So, we sit,and sit, and sit. Until we finally fall asleep. I wish I could post pictures of the horrible place to show exactly what I'm talking about. I seriously recommend that you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2013
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I don't understand why this hotel is so underrated in Tripadvisor.In my opinion as a tourist in Amsterdam, it is the best located hotel hands down. It is located right on Dam Square, a very walkable distance from the Amsterdam Centraal train station. Check-in was very quick and we booked 3 rooms. My daughter was given a room which was on the third floor facing a street with lots of shops and restaurants and she said it was quite noisy. My son and I had rooms in the back of the hotel on a high floor and I think it is the best. No view, but very quiet.My room seems to have been recently renovated and had plenty of space to put 2 suitcases up on a long shelf.The bathroom has a glass wall separating the bedroom, also newly remodeled but has draining problems. During a shower, the water was up to my ankles. I just think the pipes are old. This is my only complaint about the hotel.
We didn't use the restaurant but peeked in, menu was French food and expensive.
The concierge was very helpful in suggesting dining options.
When a member of my family had to find a space to work, they gave him a conference room with free wifi which is all over the hotel including the rooms.
Outside the hotel was the Dam square and great for people watching, shopping, dining. There is also a big supermarket nearby. Tram stops were within a couple of blocks.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good hotel and the best location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Mid-August trip to Amsterdam staying at the NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky right in Dam Square. Arguably, the heart of Amsterdam. Right in the center of it all and right next door to the red light district -;). The hotel is old-world, but the rooms are fantastic and the decor makes you feel like you are on a beautiful cruise ship. The bar is a great respite later on in the evening. The restaurant was fabulous.

Room Tip: Non-smoking, fourth floor, in the front on Dam Square.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Valley, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Short stopover in this hotel. Asked for quiet room which was located at the rear of the building. Very quiet indeed. Newly renovated and exceptionally clean. Staff were most accommodating and very polite at all times. The hotel is centrally located right on Dam square and if the price is right I would not hesitate to stay again. I will say that it requires a mastery of orienteering to find one's way around this expansive series of passages and floors. I was asked on more than one occasion to assist people find where they were.

Room Tip: If you are not worried about the view, ask for rooms at the rear. They are newly renovated and extre...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location of this hotel is what makes it wonderful: right on Dam Square, easy access to Trams and great restaurants. The rooms are a little outdated but certainly above average. The front desk is generally understaffed; they are friendly and helpful with information, but not always particularly interested in making your stay perfect. The breakfasts are absolutely wonderful, perfect in every way, and the Winter Garden, where they are served, is spectacular.

Room Tip: The accessible room has an air conditioning problem.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel's location is perfect, it's situated on Dam Square so is close to all the city's attractions. I've stayed in Amsterdam previously, but none of the other hotels I have stayed in can beat the Krasnapolsky on location. The receptionists were helpful and allowed us to check-out 2 hours later on the final day of our visit at no extra cost. When we arrived, our room wasn't ready and my travelling companion was exhausted after a very early flight and little sleep, so, after a hot coffee and sitting a while in the comfortable hotel lobby armchair, he fell asleep, only to be roughly and rudely awoken a couple of minutes later by a staff member, who simply stated "Don't sleep here!" Had my companion been lying out on a sofa I would have understood the objection, but he wasn't, so I felt the rule-bound small-mindedness of the staff member was unwarranted and, more importantly, the manner in which he applied his rule of "No Sleeping" was rude.

The hotel lobby and common areas are tastefully decorated and clean, our room was reasonably large and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was dated, but clean and in good repair. The hotel offered very reasonable rates considering its central location, and for this nightly rate I would anticipate a far inferior hotel and service. The cafe adjacent to the hotel lobby faces Dam Square, so you can enjoy a wonderful view of the city and their excellent selection of cakes!

The hotel is comfortable, clean, offering generally friendly service and a central location... just don't dare drop off in public!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!