“sufficient place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dam, 9, 1012 JS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #90 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Gdynia, Poland
“sufficient place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Just spent two days in NH Krasnapolsky. The hotel was apparently rebuilt many times (the interiors of the hotel have a bit complicated layout), but no wonder the main building is more than 100 years old.

My room was located in the "Amsterdam Wing", which is a separate (and quite new) building, divided from the main building by a little pedestrian lane. You had to go out to get there, which can pose a problem in wintertime.
The room was generally ok, a bit tired but clean, very silent, the aircon worked nicely (but you should not expect any breathtaking views). I then recommend the Amsterdam Wing, as the other guests told me that it was noisy their rooms located elsewhere.

The only disappointing thing about the room was the shower - with not enough water running, it takes ages to get showered. Also, the water unexpectedly changes the temperature. So you should be patient and alerted.

All in all - good hotel if you book the silent room. This is what I did, and they respected my booking request, said "oh yes, you have booked the silent room, we have one for you". I think there are no silent rooms the "regular" rooms category, so you should be prepared to pay more for the "exclusive" silent rooom.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Amsterdam Wing are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Essex, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This is a complete honest review to help others with finding a hotel.

I booked this hotel with a group of friends and my partner, and to be honest didn't really pay much attention when booking the hotel. This meant I didn't really know where or what hotel i was going to. On arrival, we were greeted and our bags where taken as we couldn't go into our rooms until 3pm. The staff seemed fine, not particularly friendly, yet not rude. Lovely location, right in the center, yet quite enough to get to sleep easily.

We went and roamed the streets for a while, came back to see if we could get into our room any earlier as at this time (12pm) we were tired and needed to refresh, however we were told our rooms were still being cleaned and to come back at 3pm. Fair enough.

3pm came and we went to our rooms, my partner and I, and our two friends shared a room each and were located down the corridor to each other which was good. It did however seem hectic when grabbing our bags.

The room was clean, no complaints, the windows however did not open. Also no English t.v channels apart from bbc1 and 2, but we were not bothered about that as we were never in the hotel except sleeping. There are toiletries such as: shower cap, one toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shower gel, shampoo, gel, soap etc, and you can get these replaced when your room is being cleaned. Not enough tea/coffee, and no milk. Also our beds were two singles pushed together, and tend to move on the wooden floors when moving on the bed, so we had to place both chairs next to the end of the bed. Not a nice view, but nice curtains that block the sunlight out.

The only problem we as a group had with the hotel, is our rooms were about a 5 minute walk around the hotel before we reached our rooms. The lifts were very slow and the doors shut suddenly, so be careful.
Also at the end of your trip, you will be expected to pay city tax (or something like that) roughly £11 per room?? but I'm not 100% sure about that, sorry.
And a payment was made to our friends room of £11. They "brought" a coffee and an espresso. While this was happening the staff looked bored and uninterested, and looked as if they just wanted us gone. Turns out someone made the payment to their door number, and the payment was voided. We asked why the payment was charged to us, and their answer was "we ask them to confirm the door number, and if they seem confident, that is fine".

Amsterdam is a beautiful relaxing place, enjoy yourself.

p.s. do not go into the "Pizzeria" restaurant just off Dam square. It was terrible, all meals under cooked. Rude staff, not knowing what to do with our food. Saying it was our thought we didn't like the food. Then tried to charge as a higher price of 55euros for the meal, turns out our order was 48euros, and in the end we paid 30euros for a large bottle of water, a side of garlic bread ( which consists of two a roll cut in half, one square of cheese slightly melted and a spread of garlic butter) and 4 main meals, which none of us ate. This is shameful for the restaurant. Very unprofessional, and a low standard of food, that conned us out of 30euros just because the confrontation was getting us no where ("as it is our problem, not theirs") and we wanted to leave.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend in early May for two nights. I booked via Lastminute.com and used the 'Secret Hotel' offer so we didn't know which hotel we would be selecting until after paying online. This allowed us to stay for 2 nights in a standard room (without breakfast for £270).

This in my opinion represented good value for the hotel which occupies a dominant position at one end of Dam Square and makes it perfect base for exploring Amsterdam.

The breakfast was an exhorbitant 30 euros each!! I can tell you that I got a look at this breakfast and it is a pretty standard continental buffet, which although it is on a large scale doesn't even include an omelette station. I would expect freshly cooked eggs to my order by a man in a chef's hat for that kind of money!

We chose to nip out to the road alongside the hotel where there is a plethora of eateries and slipped back into the hotel to eat it in bed.... crumbs may have been dropped!

The room itself was spotless, i mean it was surgically clean. I understand that we were in the 'new wing' where the carpet smells new and the fixtures are an Ikea addicts wet dream. We had a dismal view overlooking an alleyway and of someone's apartment opposite. They too were eating breakfast in bed but i could tell they were being more careful with the croissants.

The staff are pleasant, knowledgable and speak good English. They also seem to put up with all sorts drifting in and out of the lobby to use the facilities. We were treated to the sight on an asian teenager throwing up on the carpet next to the piano at about 4 in the afternoon.

The only real complaint i have about the hotel is the 100 Euro deposit I was required to pay upon checking in. I paid by visa card but it was refunded to me in cash. Which means i had 100 Euros on me when i got home and naturally i lost money changing it back into Sterling! I was not given the option to have this refunded to my card even though i was kind enough to allow them to take this deposit in the first place on my card.

As far as Amsterdam goes; well, it is seedy, dirty and stinks of cannabis wherever you go. I can recommend the Reypenaer Cheese Tasting Rooms at 182 Singel for a diverting hour. The 'Jordaan Tour' is a tour of nothing but houses and side streets as far as i can tell.
All in all, the Hotel was fine but two days in Amsterdam is more than enough!

Room Tip: Get a room in the New Wing. We stayed in Room 1080.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed here recently for a conference and it was OK. Not very good value for money but a good location. The lifts are SLOW and a bit jerky but OK.
The room was OK too, but a little tired. Bed comfy, bathroom a bit pokey. Clean and tidy though.
The communal areas were reasonably smart and the breakfast room (Wintergarden) was nice. Food was OK too.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This hotel was perfect, I mean it. :Perfection...First off we were greeted half a block away from the hotel by the bell boy that took our bags, then we were greeted by the manager at the door and he really took the time to get to know us and was really nice. We then requested one of the newer rooms and were given the sharpest ,most modern room I ever stayed in and I travel often. The location is the best in Amsterdam right at the square and close to everything. i would not even try to stay anywhere else, this was the best choice!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Horsham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Good position in Dam square.
Staff were helpful and polite but the rooms were miles away from each other.
The rooms were clean and spacious. But the shower was always fluctuating between scalding hot and freezing cold which i found very frustrating.
There was never enough tea and coffee in the room, only enough for one cup each.
There car park was not available to 4 x 4 so had to park the other side of town at 50 euros a day.
The stay was pleasant but I thought it was well over priced.

Montreal, Quebec
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

A hotel that aspires to have a high ranking should understand that honoring reservations and requests is a high priority. Upon arriving at the airport, we waited in vain for the reserved transportation to take us to the hotel. When we called the concierge asking why there is not car, it was stated that our American Express travel agent did not provide the concierge with the charge card number. Pointless to say that the hotel already had this information as a room reservation was made. If they couldn't figure that out, why was our travel agent not called back for the charge card number?
Next problem: Jet lagged, we decided to sleep, clearly requesting a wake-up call. We would still be sleeping had we not set our phones to ring two hours later. The wake up call never came!
Given these issues, we decided to reconfirm the car to take us to the airport tomorrow morning. No surprise to us that they did not record the correct time for the return trip to the airport.
Happily our stay is only one night - one night too many.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to NH Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky? Share your experiences!