“Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Doelen

You added NH Amsterdam Doelen to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Doelen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat, 26 | City Center, 1012CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Doelen) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #228 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Elmira, New York
“Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We just got back from our stay at the NH Doelen. Nothing wrong with the room, clean, not large but not to small, I have stayed in alot smaller in Europe therefore no complaints on the room size. Don't come to Europe and expect the same room size's as in the US you will be greatly dissappointed. No air conditioning either and that is also typical for Europe. I haven't stayed in a place in Europe yet that has air conditioning. Just open the window and all is good. Staff was excellent, courteous, friendly and very helpful. The only problem I had was the trash collectors in the morning dumping the hundreds of glass bottles into their truck but hey, it has to be done. I didn't hear people leaving the bars at 4 in the morning like other reviews but I probably wasn't there at the busiest time of the year either. Location was excellent close to everything, a short walk to the flower market, waterlooplein (flea market), trams etc.. Only ate in their resturant once as they gave us a free breakfast while waiting for our room to be ready. Internet is not free, they give you 30 minutes but that's it. It was like 5 euro's for 1 hour or 10.70 euro's for 24 hours. I would definately stay here again and can't wait to return to Amsterdam again and the NH Doelen.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

Well i have stayed here before and love the location but I had read some really bad reviews of thehotel before hand so i decided to give it a go and see if you are all right in what you have said on these pages, you are.
The hotel has no aircon, I'm Irish dont have air con in our houses but hotel rooms that's shocking, the room was so hot and no window toopen because we had a shared balcony, couldn't sleep at all. Noise level inside the hotel was mental, the fire escape was near our room and we could hear the door slamming all night , no sleep again.
Upon reserving my room I informed the staff that I am a smoker and would need a room with a balcony, to smoke. Second day there I was locked out of the room by the cleaner and had to report to reception to be told off by the staff for smoking on the balcony, I was very annoyed, I had sat shivering on the balcony the night before with the door held closed with a piece of card as the door had no lock on it.....terrible hotel. I have stayed next door in the hotel d'leurope and you would be much better of they have a great hotel there and understand the importance of repeat business. My husband and I travel a lot to holland and we use the NH hotel chain sometimes but I would never recommend this hotel as it's not good value for money , much better hotels in the area for similiar price.
Believe what you read on these pages, I went back to check and it's true, stay somewhere else Krasnapolsky is a better NH hotel on Dam sq. Big balconies too

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
enniskillen,Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

A great hotel in a super location. Ideal for sightseeing - Dam Square short walk away.
All other "must see" places within walking distance - Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank Huis, Rembrandthuis, etc.
Good restaurant nearby for tasty light meals - De Jaren
Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

The Doelen hotel was our first major stop on our way to moving over to Africa. It was also our first trip outside of the US, not including a few quick trips to Mexico and Canada. Needless to say, we were new to this whole travel scene.

Upon arrival, my wife was petrified that she left our 2 kids (that were now in college) and was not sure how she would contact them once in Europe. The front office staff was very helpful, and even let use their phone (free of charge) since she was so flustered when she could not figure out the international dialing. Once that was taken care of, we were off to explore what the city had to offer. Due to its central location in the heart of the city….everything was within walking distance.

We had a corner room with a view of the canal. It was absolutely gorgeous! From one window we could see down the canal, from the other, we could see the city. The bathroom was small, but well kept. When the two windows were opened, the room had a great cross breeze. There were numerous free wireless networks provided by the city. The bed was big and comfortable. Nothing beat the location! Minutes from the flower market, Red Light District, museums, markets, Ann Franks house, and dozens of other locations.

Due to the location, we never stepped foot in the restaurant. There were too many other options around the city. With all the option, I could not fathom sitting in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

NH Doelen Hotel is housed in a beautiful old building but it is not only impressive from the outside but from the inside too. I liked our room- it had an antique kind of design and was equipped with everything one could possibly think of, including a work desk with an internet access. We booked it mainly because of its central location but once we arrived at the hotel we realized we were much luckier than we thought we were, as the central location was not its only advantage. It was really very pleasant staying there. There are cheaper hotels in Amsterdam but this one was so lovely I'm happy we paid a bit more!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

We booked this via hotels.nl - we had no idea which one of 7 NH hotels we would end up in!

Needless to say we were sooooo happy with their choice for us! The hotel is beautiful inside and out, the staff were so friendly & more than happy to help & advise!

The beds were comfy & you get a choice of 4 pillows (on request)

There was some outside noise, but it is Amsterdam!

We will definitely be going back this time next year - but not leaving it to chance and booking direct! This is a gem of a hotel in a wonderful city! Its ideally placed & within walking distance of many attractions

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Me and my partner have just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from the 29th January.
Its only a 5 minute taxi ride from central station and close to the tram lines.
Check in went well but didnt tell us when breakfast would be served and where as we were staying room only. I found one of the those order forms from room service breakfast and nealy had a fit when I saw the price. 19 euro's pp plus a 4 euro tray charge for full breakfast delievered to your room. Its worth the short walk to the local bakery and get breakfast.
I made the booking for the room with last minute.com and paid £212 for 3 nights on room only basis. I booked i through one of thier top secret hotel deals. But was dissapointed when I read some of the reviews. I wouldnt trust all of them. I would defently stay at this hotel if I could get the right deal again. Lovely looking hotel and very 5* looking in the reception area. You have to pay 30 euros extra for a canal view room which also includes a mini bar. I wasnt willing to pay that much extra. We were allocated room 204 which was on the canal side of the hotel!! So I was happy about that. The rooms on the same side as ours, the next one down had balconys which looked lovely.
So if its a special occasion I think its worth the money for the upgrade.
The room was off a good size, very comfy double bed. Large wardrobe with plenty of hanging space and trouser press. There was also a safe within the wardrobe for special items, didnt bother with that and hoped the staff were trustworthy!! Which they were thank god.The bathroom had a bath with a shower over it. The ONLY problem I had during our stay was with the plug in the bath. The chain was attached to the plug hole so wouldnt let you twist the plug down into the hole. Went to reception and reported the problem. 5 minutes later I had maintenance at the door who I though had fixed the problem. When he left I started to run a bath but the plug would still not sit in the hole with a tight lock. So couldnt have a proper bath without keeping the water running. Great for temperature but not eco friendly!! That problem would seem trivial to some people but when you pay for a service, it should work!! But I couldnt be bothered to change rooms just in case we had a non canal view room.
Another bonus for the fussy pillow types- they have a pillow menu!!! 5 different types of pillows to choosed from for every type you could need. I thought that was a nice touch as I always miss my pillows from home.
The hotel location was perfect and was about 5 minute walk to Dam sqaure, the dungeons and 10 mins to Madame Tussuards. I would recommend booking most trips in advance. I paid 18.50 for the dungeons.But if you go on the tussards website you can get a better deal.
The red light district and Anne Frank house were 10 minute walk away which is good for when you are sight seeing.
Most resturants locally do some great deals on food also. 11 euros for steak, chips and salad which is a bargain.
Overall I would most defently visit this hotel. I have worked within 4 and 5 star hotels so I am most picker than the average person. They could do little things like update the wall paper etc but its not dirty!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Amsterdam Doelen? Share your experiences!