“Pleasant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Doelen

You added NH Amsterdam Doelen to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Doelen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat 26, 1012 CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Doelen) (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
LOOKING FOR BETTER DEAL?
Ranked #243 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
canada
“Pleasant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

NH Doelen Hotel is housed in a beautiful old building but it is not only impressive from the outside but from the inside too. I liked our room- it had an antique kind of design and was equipped with everything one could possibly think of, including a work desk with an internet access. We booked it mainly because of its central location but once we arrived at the hotel we realized we were much luckier than we thought we were, as the central location was not its only advantage. It was really very pleasant staying there. There are cheaper hotels in Amsterdam but this one was so lovely I'm happy we paid a bit more!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

We booked this via hotels.nl - we had no idea which one of 7 NH hotels we would end up in!

Needless to say we were sooooo happy with their choice for us! The hotel is beautiful inside and out, the staff were so friendly & more than happy to help & advise!

The beds were comfy & you get a choice of 4 pillows (on request)

There was some outside noise, but it is Amsterdam!

We will definitely be going back this time next year - but not leaving it to chance and booking direct! This is a gem of a hotel in a wonderful city! Its ideally placed & within walking distance of many attractions

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Me and my partner have just stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from the 29th January.
Its only a 5 minute taxi ride from central station and close to the tram lines.
Check in went well but didnt tell us when breakfast would be served and where as we were staying room only. I found one of the those order forms from room service breakfast and nealy had a fit when I saw the price. 19 euro's pp plus a 4 euro tray charge for full breakfast delievered to your room. Its worth the short walk to the local bakery and get breakfast.
I made the booking for the room with last minute.com and paid £212 for 3 nights on room only basis. I booked i through one of thier top secret hotel deals. But was dissapointed when I read some of the reviews. I wouldnt trust all of them. I would defently stay at this hotel if I could get the right deal again. Lovely looking hotel and very 5* looking in the reception area. You have to pay 30 euros extra for a canal view room which also includes a mini bar. I wasnt willing to pay that much extra. We were allocated room 204 which was on the canal side of the hotel!! So I was happy about that. The rooms on the same side as ours, the next one down had balconys which looked lovely.
So if its a special occasion I think its worth the money for the upgrade.
The room was off a good size, very comfy double bed. Large wardrobe with plenty of hanging space and trouser press. There was also a safe within the wardrobe for special items, didnt bother with that and hoped the staff were trustworthy!! Which they were thank god.The bathroom had a bath with a shower over it. The ONLY problem I had during our stay was with the plug in the bath. The chain was attached to the plug hole so wouldnt let you twist the plug down into the hole. Went to reception and reported the problem. 5 minutes later I had maintenance at the door who I though had fixed the problem. When he left I started to run a bath but the plug would still not sit in the hole with a tight lock. So couldnt have a proper bath without keeping the water running. Great for temperature but not eco friendly!! That problem would seem trivial to some people but when you pay for a service, it should work!! But I couldnt be bothered to change rooms just in case we had a non canal view room.
Another bonus for the fussy pillow types- they have a pillow menu!!! 5 different types of pillows to choosed from for every type you could need. I thought that was a nice touch as I always miss my pillows from home.
The hotel location was perfect and was about 5 minute walk to Dam sqaure, the dungeons and 10 mins to Madame Tussuards. I would recommend booking most trips in advance. I paid 18.50 for the dungeons.But if you go on the tussards website you can get a better deal.
The red light district and Anne Frank house were 10 minute walk away which is good for when you are sight seeing.
Most resturants locally do some great deals on food also. 11 euros for steak, chips and salad which is a bargain.
Overall I would most defently visit this hotel. I have worked within 4 and 5 star hotels so I am most picker than the average person. They could do little things like update the wall paper etc but its not dirty!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I've stayed here a few times and I guess I'll do so again, but it realy does need a lick of paint. the location is good, everybody is friendly and the connecting coffee shop adds a bit of character. However, its not cheap and the rooms realy need to be updated.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Although the rooms were a bit small, it was very clean, very modern and in the perfect location. Walking distance to everything including the train.

Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Gloucestershire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

As others have said the lobby is pleasant and the staff very helpful, and that is where the good stuff ends. The rooms are very tired looking, ripped wallpaper and very small. The bathrooms are desperate for an update and so once beyond the lovely decor of the lobby it is a disappointment awaiting you. Lovely location, but yet again, noisy. You could find better and for much less money. We paid £200 a night including breakfast and that was indeed a huge rip off !

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
chattanooga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I recently enjoyed my 12th stay at the Doelen Hotel; as always the staff made me feel like a KING. I look forward to my next visit there.
Tom Landis