“NOT a 4 star experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Doelen

You added NH Amsterdam Doelen to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Doelen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat, 26 | City Center, 1012CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Doelen) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #232 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
liverpool
“NOT a 4 star experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Booked 7 days at the Doelen Hotel in Amsterdam and what a bitter disappointment. Whilst I appreciate I had a single room, I was surprised to find out that the room was smaller than the smallest bedroom I have ever stayed in. OK I could live with that, but the decor was awful, dirty, marked walls, bathroom had shower only and small sink and in general bad state, not dirty just in bad state of repair. I was on the fifth floor and when I went down stairs I wondered why everyone was walking up the stairs only to find out the elevator/lift was not working. Yes, these things can happen, so I just accepted this. Went out for a walk and on returning spoke to the guy who was attending the reception. I asked if the lift was still out of order, he ignored me, I thought maybe he did not understand me, so I waited for about 3 minutes, he still ignored me. In the end I just walked away up the 5 double flights of stairs (oldest hotel in Amsterdam, I think). Thought I would try the wifi internet service which was free, tried for about an hour without any success so finally I phoned down to reception, sadly it must have been the rude reception guy from before, I asked what I could do because the instructions in the bedroom did not seem correct, he just bluntly replied ''didnt you read the notice on the reception desk'' but then abruptly told me the password and username which did not agree with the details in bedroom. I eventually managed to get the wifi work by the following morning.
The following day I was so sick of the room, the service, the attitude I was honestly going to just leave the hotel but spoke to one of the female receptionists there in the morning, she was called Deepti, I mention her name because she was so helpful, an absolute credit to NH Group of hotels. To cut a very long story to the minimum, she organised a new double room, fresh fruit, and a few simple freebies as an apology. The room was really a decent size but again the decor was terrible, cracked toilet which was also badly stained, cracked sink, no extractor fan, no air conditioning in either rooms. The view from both rooms was amazing so if you want a room with a view, you will probably get one. I never saw the rude receptionist again, the service from reception was excellent but what can they do about a shabby hotel, nothing. I had breakfast just one morning but found that the waiters were just plain ignorant, no greeting, no smiles, and just put me off eating there The food was continental style which I found quite enjoyable, the special price was 15 euro which I found quite expensive still.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We travelled with 2 children and my parents. Minuses: Room was small, hardly big enough to fit a baby's cot. There is not much space to put your stuff once unpacked. There is NO AIRCONDITIONING (and it was 30 celcius the day we arrived!) and there is no ventilation in the loo. They gave us a fan, but it was still quite uncomfortable, and it was noisy with the windows open. Shower temperature is variable but not actually to unpleasant degree. There is only 1 lift and it broke down for one day. The decor and furniture are very dated (think grandparent's era) although clean enough. The hotel needs a thorough renovation. The hotel is overpriced but then Amsterdam is very expensive so it's probably "reasonable". Plus: Location is very good (5 minutes to Rembrandtsplein, 3 minutes to trams, staff are more friendly than most other locals. We enjoyed our trip to Amsterdam but I would not go back to this hotel. There must be better value for money elsewhere!

Room Tip: Choose lower floor in case lift breaks down again!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Very nice location, great service, great atmosphere. Old building, rooms were not modern but very clean and comfortable. Everything worked nicely. Overall I enjoyed my stay very much. I would certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Not the most luxurious hotel, but quite affordable, and very well located. Polite and friendly staff, free wifi and a clean and spacious room.
A very central location great for sightseeing, and in walking distance of all Amsterdam attractions.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Located on one of the center canals, close to many sites. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The morning buffet breakfast was absolutely outstanding with some 20-30 items to choose from; beautifully arrayed and delicious. Very disappointed in the poor quality of the room (frayed and warn carpeting; lumpy pillow and too soft mattress) though it was clean.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Absolutely love staying here, staff and facilities are excellent. Good hearty breakfasts too.A bit far from the station if you have luggage. But situated in a perfect position to enjoy Amsterdam and all she has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Walking distance from Central Station and Museums but also on tram route. Slightly faded but comfortable all the same. Can't comment on dining. Masses of places to eat locally, including large lively restaurant next door.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to NH Amsterdam Doelen? Share your experiences!