“Interresting” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Doelen

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam Doelen to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Doelen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat, 26 | City Center, 1012CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Doelen) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #233 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
“Interresting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The place is nice, but not as we expected. For sure isnt a hotel 4 stars, maybe 3. Isnt so clean the rooms are very small, the walls are scratched, the floor make soundsc the same as in an old house.The vue from the room is beautiful.The hotel is very near to the city center and the staff is friendly.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Bucharest, Romania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and what I can say is that : for sure is NOT a 4 stars hotels!
The cleanning was very poor , we had in the room a very big spiderweb and I think was there for many many times!
The rooms are small , the furniture is very old , the rooms that are a front of the street are noisy in the morning and in the night!
The curtains are not a blackout ones , in the morning all the light is inside the room:(!

Good things: the position is quite good near red district, the staff is helpfull, the wifi is free and is working !

So is not a 4 star hotel maybe a 2 maximum -3 hotel !

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I am sparing with my "poor" reviews as there is usually something good you can find to say about a hotel. In this case, the location is good, the bathroom was refurbished to a reasonable standard and the staff were helpful. but there is a limit to what even the most helpful staff can do in such a dowdy past-it hotel
If you call it a plus, I must admit that it was also cheap at about £60
The first room I was offered was so dark, (with the lights on! ) that I genuinely thought there had been a power cut. The receptionist came up and wittered something about green and power saving but the only credible excuse for using (I would guess) 15 watt bulbs is miserliness. I was given another room, bigger but only brighter in that there were more 15 watt lights in it.
This may not matter to you but it does to me if I want to read a book, or find my shoes.
The furnishings are old and dowdy and must be at least 40 years old. I am fairly sure the carpet was quite dirty but it was difficult to be certain in the available light.
The breakfast was just adequate. It served as a meal but I can't say it was enjoyable.
This is all a great shame because I used another NH hotel a few weeks earlier, in Museum Quarter which was very good.
I am unapologetic about this review because the staff agreed with me and said that it was due to start renovations in July 2014.
My advice is to stay away until it is renovated and reviewed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bucharest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The deal we got for the hotel was very good so considering this the experience was overall more then average.

Good parts: central, hot water, change towel, elevator, free wifi, hot over night

Bad: spider web on the walls, small room, noisy, bad condition walls, exfoliating wall paper.

So, it's not a 4 star, but maximum 3. But if you get a good deal and you want to be central, this is a good choice.

I would come again only for a very good deal

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

friendly staff, clean towels every day. receptionist is always ready and happy to help u, even after midnight. fast check in and check out. Old fashion style of that hotel makes u feel that u r spending ur time in a castle :) smoking rooms are also available !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We are a family of 5 with 3 teenage children. We upgraded to superior rooms with a canal view on the 3rd floor. Two of our rooms 303 and 304 were doubles and in dire need of decoration. I would say a 3 star at best. Our other room was a twin 319 - this had been renovated and was of a good standard. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and had a fridge and minibar. Towels were plentiful and clean.

The hotel is an impressive building from the outside and in a central location. It could be fantastic, but needs some investment. We went next door to Cafe Jaren for breakfast and did not eat or drink in the hotel at all.

I would not return to this hotel as I'm sure I could have found better quality accommodation for the same price now that I know my way around Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Room 319 has been renovated. Rooms overlooking the street will be noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel is pleasant. I was only in a single person room, and so it was quite small. I was allowed to check in early, which was great. I was initially put in a smoking room which stank (of tobacco), but I was moved upon request immediately and the new room was fine. The bathroom was modern, and the TV had BBC One and Two as well as Dutch and some German channels. The staff were very friendly. My only criticism, and it is a minor point, is that they didn't have plug adapters to lend, which is something I've had in other hotels. Overall though, it was a nice hotel in a good location. It is very good value.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to NH Amsterdam Doelen? Share your experiences!