“Large dark room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Doelen

You added NH Amsterdam Doelen to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Doelen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Doelenstraat, 26 | City Center, 1012CP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Doelen) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #229 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Uruguaiana, RS
“Large dark room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We reserve this hotel for 3 people, I, my husband and my son of 10 years.When we arrived the room I saw that there was 2 single beds together and they told me that was a big bed and we can arrange the 3 people in this bed and they couldn't did anything at that day just the following day.We had to sleep in this bed I, my son and my husband together.The second day they got us a spare bed.The room had a fridge, a eletric kettle , a safe,an iron, etc. It was big but so dark at night.The localization is wonderful it's just few blocks from the central station and you can reach the center just for a block.It's an old hotel but, at backside it's by the water the view is very nice.When we leave they charge us for a city tax that was 6,27 on a Saturday and 5,32 on a Sunday

Room Tip: Rooms to the side to street are a little noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

the location is very good however everything else was bad. During my recent 2 day stay, the staff was very bad, not helpful at all! My room was not only small and shabby but very cold. When I tried to turn on the heating, the thermostat fell off! The breakfast was poor and the dining room cold as well :-( I will not come back or recommend it to anybody...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hmm. In theory, everything going for it: central canal-side location and a grand Amsterdam building.

But all a bit tired and lacking in any kind of sparkle. I was in a large room ( can't complain about that ) but I couldn't help feeling I had been teleported back to the early 1980s which may have been the last time the room had been redecorated. Those feelings were not connected to the warning sign by my bed, promising a hefty fine if I chose to smoke a bit of weed in my room. A proper bit of local colour....

Just needs a good overhaul, not least the flaking paint on the walls as you walk up the stairs.

Breakfast was in an adjoining cafe, accessible via the hotel lobby. That was pretty groovy actually.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. Breakfast was great. The room was very small but bathroom was a nice size. The location is perfect, walking distance to all the big sites and nice cafes/bars. The staff here is very friendly and were willing to help us with all of our questions. The even went out of their way to help us track down a local cafe we were searching for, by using their internet search. And they found it for us and gave us directions. The housekeeping staff did a great job. We left our "do not disturb" sign up one day, and they left a bag of clean towels and soaps outside our room. I was very impressed with this service. Overall, would probably stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just spent a weekend in Amsterdam with a friend and booked the Doelen through secret hotel deal with Expedia. After finding out where we were going I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews on the Expedia site, however I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Yes it is a bit 'shabby' but no different to many character European hotels. It was clean, lovely white bed linen and towels.

We were upgraded to a canal room for free, but unfortunately this had a double bed and we wanted a twin room, so were re-allocate a very large room on the street side. A number of comments I read complained about the noise, however I can honestly say that in the three nights we were there, we were not at all disturbed by any noise.

The best thing about the hotel was its location at the edge of the city centre. It was a few minutes walk to the main shopping area, Rembrandt's Plein and the other 'interesting' sights of the centre, but also within easy walking distance of the museums and markets. The staff were extremely helpful. We were there on a room only basis, and avoided the breakfast which seemed very overpriced, but there are numerous cafes in the vicinity.

Just one tip, the internet is free but you need to ask at the desk where they will give you the days code and password, if you try to log in from your room, it says there is a cost.

Room Tip: Canal side rooms have a lovely view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

There was no milk with the coffee/tea making facilities in the room - I mentioned it to reception, but teh receptionist didn't seem to be very concerned. I found it very irritating. Also a portion of the bed-head fell off in the middle of the night - it needs reglueing (Room 501)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to NH Amsterdam Doelen? Share your experiences!