“Great Little Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plantage Middenlaan 48, NL-1018 DH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #196 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
scottish borders
“Great Little Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My Wife and I stayed at the Hampshire-Lancaster for 3 nights recently, it was our first trip to Amsterdam and in our opinion we could not have picked a better hotel, it was perfect for us not too far from the centre but set in a nice quiet area, there was plenty nice eating places nearby if you didn't fancy going into Town at night, or if you did the Number 9 Tram stops at the door. The Hotel itself was spotless and our room was lovely. I must thank the staff they were all so pleasant. We had a wonderful 4 days in Amsterdam and the choice of this hotel was a great part of it. I must add when we arrived home I realised I had left my phone in the room, after emailing the Hotel to see if it was there, 'it was' and a few days later I received it through the post. What service. Ian and Carol Hawick Scotland

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights while visiting for work. It was okay; I arrived - after midnight - to a sign that said the receptionist would be there shortly; I waited about five mins before anyone appeared. Not quite sure where someone would be at midnight if they're supposed to be manning a desk! The welcome was a warm one though, so sort of made up for the annoyance of having to wait at that time of night.

The room itself; well, there's small and then there's tiny. This was tiny. Barely enough room to swing a cat around in, let alone finding a place for a suitcase without tripping over it. The bathroom was so small that you could sit on the toilet and your shoulder would be touching the bathroom sink. Not one for claustrophobes.

The bed is comfy and there is a good range of TV channels in different languages, including English. Breakfast is good - wide range and variety, plenty of tables and friendly staff.

The hotel itself has an air of old charm, but some of the decor and furniture are faded and worn. I'd stay here if you're looking for a budget place to stay, but are only looking for a place to crash - rooms are too small to do more than that!

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Hansk020, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Joanna,
Thank you for writing your review about our hotel. It is true, we have small rooms but this is due to the fact that we are located in an old building in the centre of Amsterdam. It sometimes happens that our receptionist is not at her/his desk; the receptionist also handles requests from our guests like bringing something to the room or explaining how the safe works.
I am sorry that you had to wait for her.
It is good to read that you enjoyed our service and we hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

it's a decent hotel. We enjoyed the stay and it's very much accessible to all tourist attraction... It's walkable.. I had booked through MakemytriP and the reservation were not reflecting in the system. The staff was courteous and made us comfortable. Even at other instance my sister needed a tissue for which the staff walked all the way to ground level to oblige... The staff also guided us to the tourist attractions.. The rooms are very good... For mentioned price it's really commendable.

• Stayed October 2014
Hansk020, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you for review and your kinds words about our staff.
It is nice to learn that you appreciated their service and I will certainly inform them about your review.
We hope to see you again in our hotel.

Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Everything was great about our stay and never felt like something could've been better. The room was clean, wi-fi was free and worked great, staff was very polite and helped us with every touristy problem we had. Breakfast was great, many choices for every kind of taste.
You could say the room was a bit small but that wasn't an inconvenience, we didn't have any problems because of it's size and we just slept in the room anyway, it's not like you come all the way to Amsterdam to stay inside and throw a party in your hotel room. Bed was also quite confortable.

Lobby area was cozy and a great place to have a cup of tea or socialize. There were guests there every evening burning some time or resting after a long day.

We're already planning our return to Amsterdam and we're definitely gonna come back.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mihai,

thank you for the time to write your comments about our hotel. It is good to read that you have had a good stay and we hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Greater Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

On Tuesday 23 Sept 2014 myself and wife stayed at the Hampshire Hotel in Amsterdam.
It was my birthday treat from my wife. The hotel is 10 minutes walk from the train station. Inside the rooms,they are just first class. I honest believe this hotel should be a 4 star hotel. The rooms are immaculate,very clean and tidy. Wi-Fi is free all over the hotel. The breakfast buffet is outstanding, with lots of choice.

The staff there are so helpful and friendly it's untrue. Can't do enough for you. Hot drinks in the reception are is completely free. This was our second visit and it will not be our last to Hampshire Hotel.

Room Tip: Always book a double room with breakfast buffet. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Hansk020, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Mr Nigel F,

thank you very much for your kind words over here.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you and your wife again in our hotel.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our hotel booking in Amsterdam (Hampshire Lancaster) was absolutely not worth it !!! We were given the room 404 which was nothing more than the size of a jail cell however other rooms were decently spaced. When we asked for a room change it was out rightly rejected. There was no space to even keep two bags of luggage in the room. There wasn't enough space in the room to even walk from one side of the bed to the other.

The person in charge at the receptions was extremely rude and unhelpful.

I will not recommend this hotel to anyone !!

The only good thing about this hotel was its breakfast. That's it !!! I have traveled to almost 20 countries till now and haven't seen a staff as impolite and rude as at Hampshire Lancaster.

Room Tip: Go for superior rooms not the standard one. The Standard rooms are really not worth the price.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sir, Madam,

I am sorry to read about your experience in our hotel.
Roomchanges are not always possible at or after the check in because the hotel may be fully booked but it is always possible the next morning.

We do hope that we will see you again in our hotel.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday.
We planned to be out and about all day and only use the hotel as a base to sleep and shower. But I was still concerned about some of the reviews saying the rooms were really small. As it turns out I had nothing to worry about.
We were given a room on the 1st floor at the front of the hotel and it was huge. We even had 2 double beds, which would've come in handy if we'd had a falling out (which we didn't).
Tea and coffee making facilities, T.V, hairdryer, and a small safe, everything you need.
The cleaner came in every day of our 3 night stay.
Like a lot of people have said, the hotel is in a leafy suburb of Amsterdam but still within easy reach of the centre. Trams stop just up the road from the hotel. #9 will take you through the city to cental station. When coming back, get off at Artis and walk 2 minutes to the hotel. We brought 72 hour passes to use on trams and metro, 16.50 euros each.
I'd also booked tickets to see Lady Gaga at the Ziggo Dome. Waterlooplein metro station is only one stop away so the hotel is ideally placed for people who have booked tickets for a gig.
My wife and I had an amazing time and plan to return some day.
We would not hesitate in booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try and get room 201, its massive.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Hansk020, General Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Sir, Madam,

thank you very much for writing your review overhere.
It is good to read that you have had a nice stay in our hotel and the city of Amsterdam.

Hans

Been to Hampshire Hotel - Lancaster Amsterdam? Share your experiences!