“Beware - no air conditioning” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Schiller

You added NH Amsterdam Schiller to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Schiller
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rembrandtplein, 26, 1017CV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Schiller) (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5% EXTRA DISCOUNT
Ranked #139 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canberra
“Beware - no air conditioning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

It was quite warm when we stayed here but there is no air conditioning. We slept with the windows open but, even though we were in a room at the back, it was very noisy.

Our room was very small, we didn't have room to leave both suitcases out, one had to be closed and stashed in a corner.

Great location, very central.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

We've become quite fond of the NH chain of hotels around Europe, they offer good value for money and there are usually no major unpleasant surprises in store. So when my girlfriend and I needed to spend an overnight in Amsterdam we made a booking at the NH Tropen. Arriving at the hotel we found it a little out of the way although in a beautifully green district, near the Tropical Gardens, Zoo and so on. We wanted however to be somewhere more central and to be able to explore historic Amsterdam on foot so the girl at Reception was very helpful and actually transferred our booking to another property, the NH Schiller on Rembrandtplein, at the same price and without any fee or surcharge!

The Schiller is in an older building with a turn-of-the-century feel to the lobby (19th - 20th obviously, not 20th - 21st!). It gives on to a rectangular plaza with a statue of Rembrandt, tramlines, cafes, two more NH Hotels some restaurants and so on. Are you surprised at there being three NH hotels on one square? They have thirteen in Amsterdam and there's not really a lot of space to spread them around! Back to the neighbourhood, shops and restaurants and even cinemas abound in the lanes that lead from the square and 5 minutes to the south or east will find you strolling along the famous canals, looking into houseboats and trying not to get run over by strange half-bicycle-half-wheelbarrow contraptions.

Our room was not particularly spacious but it was comfortable and spotless. As with quirky older buildings, sometimes the ensuite bathroom is actually larger than the actual bedroom which was almost the case here. Everything was clean and well cared for but pretty old. A nice touch were the little sweeties they'd placed on the pillows and the desk and a book of short stories actually compiled and published by the hotel chain, on the bedside table.

To sum up, we were satisfied with our stay. We didn't try the breakfast as we had an early morning flight the next day but if up to the usual standards for this chain I'm sure it would have been perfectly acceptable. A little surprise was when we asked room-service for some ice and drinking glasses they said they would charge us if they had to bring it up but it was free if we went down to the restaurant and fetched it ourselves. And a word of warning if you get a room that actually faces on to the Rembrandtplein: there is a MASSIVE advertising LED display on the building opposite that is on all night and that the very heavy curtains only barely manage to block out. Without the curtains it will burn your silhouette onto the wall behind you or blind you like those interregation lamps in a prison somewhere!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

The Schiller is a grand dame of a hotel from another era, situated on one of Amsterdam's liveliest squares. Its public rooms have a gentlemen's-clubby feel, and the sugarcube elevator just off the lobby barely has enough room for two people with luggage. That being said, our room was contemporary and comfortable, with a spacious bathroom and well-stocked mini-fridge. Even the hotel staff, which was no doubt strained to its limits during the lunatic pandemonium of Queens Day, handled our visit with calm professionalism. When one can get to them, the Flower Market, the Herrengracht, the Amstel, the Munt Plein and the Opera House are all within short walking distance. And, except for transitless Queens Day, the number 4, 9 and 14 trams run directly past the hotel's front door. The Schiller is a great value in a superb location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Chester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

My husband and I visited Amsterdam in Jan 09 for three days and chose this hotel with the help of Tripadvisor and it was perfect for our needs.
We had a room overlooking the square and I loved sitting in my window seat looking at the passers-by and listening to the trams.
The bar was really traditional and the bar men real characters. My only complaint would be that the bar and restaurant cosed at 11pm prompt but we thought our room was comfortable and would return to this hotel on another visit. The location was perfect.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2009

The Schiller Hotel (Rembrandtplein 26-36, www.nh-hotels.com, 15 Feb 09) was ideal for a Sunday in winter for a single woman traveler. It is the tallest hotel on Rembrandt square; ask for a quiet room on the 5th or 6th floor for peaceful views of the Amsterdam rooftops. 507 had a small balcony facing the square, for the minimum single twin price (89 euro). The 1892 lobby and adjoining brasserie are spacious and the rooms updated and well appointed. This was the first minibar I’ve seen to have a choice of smoothies! My only complaint is that the hotel faces a 24-hour jumbotron across the square at the largest club in the city, Escape, which mars the view. Inexplicably the hotel normally charges extra for a room facing the square and this blight.

Rembrandtplein is a 10-minute, e 1.60 ride from the train station via the 4 and 9 GVB trams. The square offers many restaurant choices, from Indonesian to English to Argentinian in addition to a few grand cafes. For some very traditional Irish music, Mulligan’s (www.mulligans.nl) a block away on the Amstel River features a cosy seisun on Sunday nights.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

A wonderful stay of 7 nights. I loved the place.

Exqusite decor and surroundings. A great location. At least in the off months. I reserve judgement on staying there in the summer until I have done it.

The staff was excellent. Professional and helpful.

The room and bed I had was fine. Although two beds pushed together might not work out the best for honeymooners.

A nice 25% reduction on breakfast buffett at least thru Feb. 14 euro instead of 19. Ask for a chit at the desk for your discount.

The 15 mins, at a time, of free computer usage is a nice touch.

My one little gripe comes from the english tv selection they have. Hard to believe I would even mention it. But a 4 star business hotel catering to english speakers should have at least one or maybe two full time news channels. BBC? CNN?

You can get english TV stations. Its just that they are a mish mash of quirky stations showing not all that popular sitcoms for the most part.

In this day and age a 24 hour news station is not to much to ask.

But other than that the hotel was just about prefect. At least for the great priceline price I got.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fribourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

This hotel gave me the following impression

Good points:
-Location
-Noise (due to the location, but only if your room is facing the Rembrandt Square. The rooms at the back of the hotel are reasonably quiet).
-Cleanliness
-Room price (without extras)
-Temperature. My room was quite cold in spite of the heating. I realised that the windows did not have double-glazing.

Bad points:
-The price of all extras (breakfast, mini-bar, internet connection, ...)
-The staff should receive a proper training (see below)

During my stay at the Schiller, I had the following problem:
1. My colleague and myself were assigned to the wrong rooms. I was in 309 and he was in 409, although it was the other way around in the system.
2. The only drink I had at the bar was charged to my colleague's room (easily explained by point 1)
3. When my colleague checked out, he paid for my drink as I agreed that I did have it. But the staff tried to charge me again for it.
4. We had a power cut on my floor, which was due to an FI-switch which went down. It took them around 25 minutes to flick it back on, which is a long time.
5. My colleague gave them some clothes for dry-cleaning, and instead of actually cleaning them, they placed them in the storage room, as the receptionist did not know the process to send clothes to dry-cleaning.

All the problems above could be easily solved if the staff had been trained properly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The errors of the staff at reception
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to NH Amsterdam Schiller? Share your experiences!