“Great location, clean, good rate hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rembrandt Classic Hotel

You added Rembrandt Classic Hotel to your Saves list
Rembrandt Classic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 255, 1016 BJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #223 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Paris, France
“Great location, clean, good rate hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I stayed at the Rembrandt Classic Hotel in Amsterdam for two nights in June 2011 to attend a conference. This is a decent little hotel in a fantastic central location in Amsterdam for a good price. The hotel is located by a river, amongst cobblestone streets and traditional Dutch buildings. Amsterdam is an interesting city, and has a real personality of its own and is quite a pretty city.

I arrived in Amsterdam by car and had no idea what problem parking was. The hotel had no parking but they offered a great solution for me: hotel staff arranged a type of valet service. A parking attendant came to pick up my car and took it to a garage outside the city. And when you want your car again, you just call and wait for about 20 minutes for them to bring it back. A brilliant solution to local parking problems!

This classic Dutch building has lovely exteriors but is perhaps not in the best shape on the inside. The reception area felt a little less updated than my room, which was clean and fresh. Check-in could perhaps have been a bit more efficient. The interiors of the hotel was fairly basic North European hotel-design and perhaps not the most inspirational, but the location was great and its a fully decent hotel.

My single room was on the first floor, small but not cramped, comfortable, qiuet, and had two lovely tall classic windows and a comfortable bed. Breakfast was included in the rate and was modest but sufficient. Be prepared to orient yourself in Amsterdam and bring a map and your hotel address once you leave the hotel, because its easy to get lost amongst all the waterways and roads if you have never been to Amsterdam before.

Would I recommend the Rembrandt Classic Hotel? Yes. You get a small rate for an older hotel in a great location where you'd probably pay much more in other hotels. And the staff is helpful too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

By chance, we spent several days here on our way back to the states from a conference in Copenhagen. This hotel was the perfect base from which to explore the incredible city of Amsterdam.
Our room was on the top floor (American 4th) with grand views of the canal and houseboats below and a beautiful old cathedral in either direction. The lights at night were lovely, especially given that it was mid-December. Most hotels there mingle with residential apartments and small shops at street level. Our room was extremely large for Amsterdam with a sloping ceiling on one side. There were 2 large windows, a queen bed and several chairs. The building is OLD, and it's not seen a remodel in a while but even with worn carpet and crooked walls (standard in Amsterdam!), it's a delight. As is typical in Europe, the bath was small but clean and functional and given the nice size of our room, we were completely comfortable.
I would absolutely recommend this hotel for those who want to experience the true feel of Amsterdam without the 5 star veneer.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Bruges was less than half the price per night...but we were late into Amsterdam and hadn't booked...and there was a conference on (well there would be, wouldn't there?) but is this an excuse for scalping?Apparently.
The hotel is tired , tired, tired but the beds were okay and it was reasonably clean- that's why I rated it a three.But everything involved an extra charge - info says free wifi for 1st half hr ... never worked.
So all in all I would book well in advance and stay out of town...which is where we are now at Inn on the Lake.....gorgeous....watch this space as a review from the property while staying here would be bounced.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Southsea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Check-in service short and efficient, requested a kingsize bed at time of booking, which was fulfilled along with a huge room. Hotel is a bit shabby and run-down, also there was a deposit required at check-in, as well as something else to do with freezing payment (my partner dealt with it so I am unsure) which seemed a bit unnecessary and was quite inconvenient when it came to the lengthy process of checking out (about half an hour!). The hotel is in a good location in a quiet side street, our room had beautiful views of the canal. Be warned if you are on the tall side though, as my partner managed to knock himself out on the low roof beams. Overall I thought it was good value for the deal we had, and would return if we were to have the same room as I've seen some of the others and they are tiny!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My friend and I are both young women in our twenties who have visited Amsterdam several times and adore the city. We are both polite and reserved, and as a result I feel the hotel took advantage and treated us terribly.

Firstly, the pros: This hotel is extremely well located, the rooms are fairly clean and of a decent size (at least for the price).

Cons? Where do I start? On our first night a pipe burst in our room, spewing boiling hot water- steam and smoke filled the air quickly- across our bathroom and onto our carpeted bedroom. We gathered up our belongings (we both burnt our feet and had to wear shoes), stuffed everything back in our cases and exited the room. We were hastily given a second room, and being 3 in the morning and tired we accepted, presuming we wouldn't be charged for the room, at least for that night! The next day the entire floor was without hot water. As we were to find out, however, the receptionist had made no note at all on the system that the event had ever occured.

In our second room, a window smashed with such force that I presumed someone had thrown something through it. What actually happened was more to do with the fact the hotel has ill-fitting, old fashioned and paper thin glass in the windows. The windows do not stay open independently- guests are required to prop them up with chunks of wood. The wind had blown one of these devices sideways, which resulted in our window slamming shut. The pressure had smashed the entire window. Luckily, both my friend and I were not near the area at the time, as shards of glass covered the carpet and one of the beds. The hotel, having no free room, boarded up the window with a sheet of carboard.

Two days (!) later, my friend and I were doing our make-up at around 2pm when, without a knock or a phone call, two men walked into our room to fix the window. Now surely this is ridiculous? We should have at least been warned or asked beforehand.

Our room was not cleaned for several days, we had to ask staff for clean towels at one point. The reception also checked us out a day earlier than we had booked, and we had to have our key cards re-activated. Again, no apology.

Finally, upon checkout I was agast to discover we were to be charged for all five nights of our stay. The hotel did not offer us ANY compensation- not even a free breakfast- or even an apology. When we pointed this out to the staff they appeared confused and at first seemed to deny the flood on our first night had even occured. No note was made on the system, and we had to stand arguing as polietly as we could before a manager finally confirmed the event and printed us out a short letter with his signature for our insurance. We were not given an apology at all.

I also have a problem with the method the hotel used to take payment- they freeze your assets and only unfreeze the amount at the end of your stay. Furthermore they took a 50 euro desposit on my card and I had to ask for this to be cancelled, as it was not on my invoice...I study law and I am fairly certain this is illegal.

I love Amsterdam and have stayed several times before, and I have never encountered such a ridiculous turn of events. Both my friend and I are young women and I am also fairly certain the hotel treated us as they did because they felt they could get away with it- if I had been travelling with my mother I am sure they would have been a lot more apologetic!

We have both made seperate official complaints to the hotel's Head Office, but, surprise surprise, have yet to hear back. I doubt we will. This hotel seems to have a knack for denying all wrong-doing.

Don't stay in this hotel- accidents happen, of course, but the staff were rude and extremely unhelpful. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Excellent city break hotel. Clean, basic and very well located for sightseeing and walking from the station. Breakfast is extra but good value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Manaus, AM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I spent a couple of nights at this hotel and this was by far the strangest hotel I ever been. The staff is pretty strange, they do not help you the way you need, and looks like they do not care much of you. The location is great, between two channels and near of Dam Square and Anne Frank House, the rooms are good but the internet access is too expensive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rembrandt Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!