“Nice Hotel Watch out for the Bed Bugs” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Romantic Getaway
Ranked #15 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Nice Hotel Watch out for the Bed Bugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

The hotel itself is very nice. However, watch out for the bedbugs.

We stayed in room 406 at the hotel on the 24-26th October 2008, when my Husband and I woke up on the Saturday morning we noticed that we had little lumps on our skin but did not understand why.

When we woke up Sunday morning with more bites I put 2+2 together. I woke up with a bite on my eye lid, which hurt and itched like hell. A week later I still have the lump without the redness!

Since then, I have had to spray my home and my bags with the clothes I took to make sure this does not spread into my home. Once you have bedbugs they are hard to shift.

Until now I did not know they actually existed. Its AWFUL!

I have yet to email the hotel and see what repsonse I get, however, if you do stay here I would suggest you check the bed first before opening your luggage.

Other than that, its a nice hotel and a nice location.

I hope you have better luck than me!

• Liked — Nice Hotel
  • Disliked — The bedbugs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

2,157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Pulaski, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

Incredible hotel and experience! We loved Amsterdam and the hotel made it an even better experience. The location is perfect and right in the heart of everything. The staff was wonderful! I really cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. The next time we are in Amsterdam we will stay here!

• Liked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Stayed for three nights from 20th October to 23 October & found it more than lived up to our expectations. We had a very comfortable, quiet room with large bathroom. The hotel was warm & comfortable with exceptionally charming, helpful & efficient staff. The breakfast was delicious & the complementary coffee, chocolate or tea very much appreciated. The hotel is on a lovely stretch of a quiet canal within easy walking distance of almost everything. There is a selection of restaurants to suit every taste & pocket just around the corner in Spuistraat . The only negative thing I would say about the hotel is that the grouting & tiling in our bathroom needed some maintainance

The only negative experience we had in Amsterdam was that we were very overcharged for our taxi from the station. We asked the hotel to get us a taxi back to the station. This was less than half the price we paid to get there

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — tiling & grouting in the bathroom was shabby
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay at this hotel. It is full of charm and elegance. The decor is lavish and welcoming and a change from the usual modern hotel. The reception areas were gorgeous with polished wood and chandeliers. But what really sets this hotel apart is the customer service. The staff are friendly and any slight problems we encountered were dealt with efficiently and with a smile. Breakfast was plentiful and fresh. The complimentary refreshment area was a nice touch and very welcoming after a long day. The hotel is situated on a quiet stretch of canal but only 5 mins walk from the hustle and bustle. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet comfortable stay,

• Liked — Decor and Customer Servcie
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

We stayed there 3 nights from 12th Oct. We were absolutely pleased with everything the size of the room has enough space to open 2 hugh samsonite luggages + hand carry + has a writing table, the ensuite has everything incuding cotton buds and even bathroom slippers. On top of that the breakfast has a wide choice of bread and pastries including hot hard boiled egges, the waiting staff were excellent and very quick to respond. The front desk receptionists and the potters were all absolutely wonderful and of course the free flow of hot chocolates and biscuits help when we returned in the night and feeling cold and waiting a hot drink and there it is. No fuss at all. The location of the hotel is just great as well. 5 minutes walk to Dam Square and to where all the food is. We visited Anne Frank's house (10 minutes walked), Van Gogh museum (tram), Behjinhor (where the nun used to stay- 5 minutes walk), Molen van Sloten Windmill (by tram) and of course we walked to the famous Red light district, we truly enjoyed ourselves and because the hotel is so conveniently located, we can come back anytime when we were tired. We had a great stay. I would defintely stay there again if I were to visit. The only thing we weren't sure was why the receptionist advised that we take a cab to and from Schipol airport instead of taking the shuttle bus. We decided to take the shuttle bus anyway and we had a wonderful tour of the various drop off points for free. The shutttle was on time on both journeys and we were equally pleased.

Stayed October 2008
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed in Hotel Estherea for two nights this October. From the moment you enter its opulent panelled lobby you feel welcome. Our room wasn't quite ready and we were invited to help ourselves to free coffee, tea or hot chocolate (really good), while we waited. Our room overlooked the canal and had a pretty four poster bed. It boasted every convenience even down to the free slippers (well at least I hope they were free!).

Breakfast was quite simply wonderful! Every conceivable thing you could possibly want to eat, from fresh fruit and smoothies, cereal, different breads and pastries to lovely crisply fried bacon, 'proper' sausages and eggs (scrambled or fried). Once we ate here in the morning, we didnt need anything until dinner time!

We walked everywhere from this hotel, it couldn't be better placed for any attraction you may wish to visit.

My only critiscism would be the lack of proper lighting to read by at night and to fix my face in the morning (!) and our bathroom was a little small, but these were minor flaws.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to feel spoiled and relaxed at the end of a day.

• Liked — Breakfast!
  • Disliked — Poor lighting in room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

My husband and I spent four fantastic days at the Hotel Estherea last month and what a beautiful hotel it is. Our room was overlooking the canal and it was so lovely to see the activity day and night. Our room was very attractively decorated, ensuite had plenty of room and included were all the soaps, shampoos etc. Plenty of cupboard space which included a safe, iron and ironing board which is a very helpful addition and not usually provided in most hotels we have found.
Breakfast was in a very pleasant environment and included a vast assortment of beautiful food. It was a lovely addition to be able to have, tea, coffee or hot chocolate at any time and often with the addition of a piece of cake or biscuit and also fruit on hand as well as sweets and a cool drink of minted lemon on the bar.
The furnishings in the lounge and reading room were so lovely, it was wonderful to experience a little bit of yesterday today. We would strongly recommend a stay here.
Lance and Jean Pereira, Western Australia

• Liked — Comfortable, convenient location, beautiful breakfast, helpful staff.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Estherea? Share your experiences!