“A disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

Romantic Getaway
Ranked #13 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“A disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Booked on strength of TA reviews (and availability) and, while the hotel's far from bad, we left feeling it was over-priced. For over £200 per night excluding breakfast (an additional €18 per person), I'd expect room with more than 70cm around the bed, I'd expect a full length mirror in the room, I'd expect to be able to apply make-up without worrying that I'll go out looking like a clown (the bathroom lights have dark brown shades over them….), I'd expect a TV that works consistently and I'd expect the cleaner to exit the lift when we wanted to use it, rather than announce "I'm going down". They're little things, I know, but, combined, they just left us thinking that Estherea had promised more than it had delivered. Oh, and rather than get stung for €36 for breakfast, try Greenwood's, a 10 minute walk up Singel - absolutely fantastic breakfast, charming staff and you'll have change from €10….

Room Tip: Go to top floor, you'll be spared elephants above you. We can only assume the canal rooms are n...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

As this was our first visit to Amsterdam we spent time researching TA for the right hotel for us. Hotel Estherea fitted our requirements and we booked a canal side room. If anything the hotel exceeded our expectations - clean, spacious room with a wonderfully comfortable bed and modern bathroom. We loved all the little extras - from the L'Occitane toiletries in our room to the free tea and coffee in the lounge. We are not particularly bothered about a full breakfast and opted to have coffee and croissants in one of the many local cafes..

The big plus for us was the friendly and knowledgeable staff. They all spoke perfect English and always had time to give advice on places to go and how to get around the city. The were able to walk that fine line between absolute professionalism and friendliness and were a key ingredient in making our stay so pleasurable. A good sign is how they cope with problems - there was a considerable difference between the quoted price and the bill when we checked out. The head receptionist carefully checked all the details and confirmed it was their mistake,

There is no evening dinner service but there are plenty of good restaurants within a short stroll. We would particularly recommend 'Restaurant Haesje Claes' about 5 minutes stroll away in Spuistraat.

Should be come back to Amsterdam, Hotel Estherea would be our first choice. Thanks to all who made our stay so enjoyable,

Room Tip: For us the canal side rooms were worth the extra 20 euros per night per room
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I needed a decent place for a recent 2-day business trip to Amsterdam and was lucky to have chosen this hotel. The location is perfect - close to everything and still not too crowdy and noisy. My deluxe double room seemed of right size and felt very comfortable. The coffee/tea machine with complementary cookies and pastries in the lobby area came in very handy late night and early morning. Finally, but the most important, is the Hotel Estherea staff and their attitude. All my questions and requests were dealt with quickly, gently and effectively. With a smile I should add! And this counts a lot for me. I do want to come back there and would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We spend 4 days in Hotel Estherea celebration my 70 birthday. Everything was just as we wanted it. We meet up with our daughter in law and son, who come and stay here a couple of times every year. The bed was the best we have slept in. The breakfast was good and plenty, enough to keep you going for hours. We felt very welcome . My Daughter in Law and I got a very nice present from the Hotel, this warmed our hearts. We will for sure again meet up with the family here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Didn't know if we'd made the right decision when we chose this hotel for our week in Amsterdam. It turned out to be a very good choice as the Estherea is friendly, efficient and seemed to be in just the right location for us - a quiet, pretty neighbourhood from where we could walk to almost anywhere tourists would want to walk. Complimentary tea, coffee and nibbles at all times; fresh pillow slips daily; colourful bar - these were some of the delights. We were upgraded to a canal view as well. Good value, highly recommended.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I visited this hotel for 3 nights in March 2014 and found it to be a great hotel, it has a lot of character and is very comfortable. We were upgraded from a standard room to one with a Jacuzzi bath, the rooms are beautifully decorated and very old world. Its location is perfect and is a short walk to most attractions and only a 10 to 15 minute walk from the central station. Dam Square is about 5 minutes walking. The hotel is quite expensive but you are paying for quality. We would highly recommend it, for couples especially.

Haslemere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I couldn't have been happier with the hotel. My Mum and I spent three nights, delicious breakfasts, great location for walking to the sights, comfortable beds and lovely decor. Best of all the staff were all so helpful, patient and genuinely wanted to make our stay the best it could be. I would definitely recommend the Estherea, in fact I have already and would like to return myself.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Hotel Estherea? Share your experiences!