“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Munich, Germany
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you plan to stay in Estherea Hotel be prepared for an unexpected deposit payment and a hassle to get it back.

I booked my stay via the official website. I arrived for my stay on 22nd December and was surprised to be asked for my credit card even though I had paid in full €707 in advance. Only when a large amount appeared on the card reader and I was asked to enter my pin was I made aware of this charge vaguely explained as for "incidental occurrences".
Not exactly a friendly welcome. I don't mind paying deposits but was very disappointed at that point as it wasn't mentioned anywhere on their website/booking confirmation.
On the day of my departure I checked out and was promised that the deposit would be refunded to my account that day. I was also asked to pay 5.5% city tax which was fine as it's clearly mentioned on the website/booking confirmation so I was aware of this extra charge.

I was expecting to see the deposit refund on my account within 24 hours as promised but after 3 days there was no sign of it. Be aware that the actual transaction may not be visible on your account (as in my case) but the balance will be much higher than the available amount.
I emailed the hotel and was told the following:
"It is common policy to request a credit card inprint on arrival, on which we request an authorization of euro xx.xx for any possible charges guests may book on their room account like breakfast charges, drinks at the bar, laundry, etc… The authorization is not an actual deposit, it is an amount which is reserved by the credit card company for usually 5 to 10 working days after which it is automatically released. The period may change according to the country or bank guests use." I was also told that if I don't get it back within 10 days I should email my card number and its expiry date so they can check it. Strange this "common policy" is not mentioned anywhere on the website or booking confirmation (unlike the 5.5% city tax) and when I asked about that my question was ignored.

It's been more than 10 days since I checked out and still no sign of the refund. I decided to contact my bank to see if there's anything they can do about it. I was told the refund should have been made within one business day as it doesn't depend on the bank location. I was given transaction details (which I can't see on my account) and was advised to contact the hotel which I did and was told the following: "We have contacted the company and the authorization is released,
but it may take another 2 weeks before all systems have been cleared."
At this point I'm not sure if I get my money back but I just wanted to say I'm very disappointed with this hotel.

You should make it clear on your website and booking confirmations that there is a deposit charge which takes 5-10 days (or a month!) to refund. Otherwise it makes you look like scammers earning interest.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
EsthereaHotel, Owner at Hotel Estherea, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Ms Nila,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have taken your advise and we have now mentioned our policy on our room confirmation. It is also already mentioned on Booking.com. Please also be advise that we have a plate at the reception where we also mention the procedure during check-in. Furthermore please be advised that it does depend on the bank you use and country you come from, how long it takes for the authorization to be released. We request daily around 50 authorisation of arriving guests and usually the authorization is released within 10 working days by the creditcard company. The number of complaints we receive regarding this topic is very limited therefore we have never mentioned it on our confirmation and I would like to point out that we do not receive the authorization amount. This amount is reserved by the credit card company and not transferred to our bank account, therefore we are dependent on the credit card company to release the authorization and arrange the refund. This is not something we can do ourselves.

Herewith we would like to inform you more about our hotel policy conditions regarding credit cards.

Your credit card details are required to guarantee your booking up to your arrival at the hotel. Payment will be made exclusively to the hotel. If you cannot take up your booking, you need to cancel no later than 1 day before your date of arrival. Please take into account that the date of arrival starts at 0.00 am (CET.). Bookings not cancelled 1 day before arrival will be billed at a cost equivalent to the price of the first night. In case of no-show, the total price of the booking will be charged. A different cancellation policy may apply for group bookings. The hotel will contact you within 24 hrs. if this is the case.

In case you booked a NON REFUNDABLE room or package, the following conditions are applicable: Your credit card details are necessary to qualify for this promotion. No change or cancellation can be made after booking. Upon booking, you accept to be charged for the full price of the stay, this amount is non-refundable in case of cancellation or change of dates of stay.

Please be advised of our authorization policy. We do ask an authorization (room rates + deposit for any additional charges) on your credit card or full pre-payment in cash (room rates + deposit for any additional charges) at check-in. Debit and check cards will actually hold a euro amount from your checking account until released after at check-out.

Once thank you for your feedback and consideration.

Kind regards,
Esther Peper-Esselaar
Owner at Hotel Estherea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Glen Gardner, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here for 2-nights in December and this hotel has it all! Excellent location! The lobby, library, bar, and dining areas were beautifully decorated for the holidays. The well-appointed room was large, comfortable, and very clean. It was in the front of the building with a nice view of the canal, but just a bit noisy in the morning.

The receptionists were helpful, professional, and friendly.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others and would stay there again if we ever visit Amsterdam again.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The location is great and the room was clean. Service was very good. Only complaint is that there is no door lock inside the room which is very unusual in my experience. The hotel provides free coffee 24/7 and ponchos in the rain. I would stay here again but wish there was a lock I could lock on the inside.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great City , Great Location , Great Hotel , Great Service... Great Breakfast,
we enjoyed our stay very much , everyone was a great help to find us good restaurants arrange the boat trips etc, , definitely coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Tirana, Albania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

A very pleasant stay in a cozy warm perfectly located hotel in central Amsterdam! The main sights, canals, and shopping all right there. The room was a bit small though just fine for a solo traveler (perhaps other rooms are larger), with a lovely view of the canal. Enjoyed the cocktails and ambiance of the bar. Great pubs and restaurants within walking distance and direct proximity to the 9-Streets boutique shops!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in December and were extremely delighted with the hotel. Check in was quick, good and informative. The reception and bar/library areas are large and make it seem real "homey". Our room was large enough for us, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom facilities were plenty adequate. I liked that the windows could be opened to allow some fresh air inside. We did not have any problems with external noises at all.

Tea and coffee making facilities are available in the bar/reception area with cakes and slices at different times and gorgeous little bowls of boiled sweets (also in the room).
We didn't do breakfast here but there are many places within walking distance to do so.
The hotel is located in a fantastic location, close to everything.
The staff were always very friendly.
I would highly recommend this hotel as it has so much character and is clean, tidy and friendly.

They do not do airport transfers but if you ask they can organise a set price with a taxi, charge it to your room and give you a taxi voucher. We did this returning to the airport and it was so much cheaper than the taxi we got from the airport to the hotel.

Bedfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here 21st-23rd December. It was just wonderful. We had a canal room with a four poster bed which was ready for us at 10.45am (perfect after a very early flight!). It's about a 15 minute walk from Centraal Station and overlooksthe Singel - so easy to find. It's very plush and luxurious and the staff were incredibly helpful and kind. even leaving us champagne and chocolates as it was our wedding anniversary. The bed was very comfortable indeed. During the day you could hear guests in the room above but there was no noise at night so we didn't mind and it wasn't an issue. The breakfast was fantastic and included prosecco which is a rather nice way to start the day! There were hams, cheese, fruit salad, eggs, bacon, sausage, cakes, pastries, juices, etc. Throughout the day the hotel provided free tea, coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits and cakes which was a lovely touch. It's very well placed - being out of the direct touristy bit but close enough to walk everywhere. It's very very close the nine streets which are beautiful. The nearest restaurant Haesje Claes was also fantastic and they also provide a room service for the hotel. Highly highly recommended!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Estherea? Share your experiences!