Yesterday evening I returned from a 3-day city trip in Amsterdam. My colleague and I came to see the Take That concert in the Arena. After much reviewing on Tripadvisor and Booking.com we decided to book a standard double room in Hotel Estheréa, which receives rave reviews. I am now adding mine.
We arrived late Sunday morning and the kind receptionist who did our check-in said it was a bit chaotic that morning, soooo, they had upgraded us free of charge to a deluxe room. The room didn’t have canal view (which we had secretly been hoping for) but she kept saying that room 402, which had been allocated to us, was a beautiful room. We decided not to make it any more difficult for her and accepted the room. It wasn’t ready yet, but we could leave our luggage. Later in the afternoon we returned to check out our room and enjoy the complimentary coffee, tea and cakes in the common area we came to call “the living room”.
Our room was located on the back side of the hotel, overlooking Spuistraat. Each room in this hotel is different and during our stay we often tried to catch glimpses of other rooms when the maids were cleaning, to see if they were as lovely as ours. Room 402 has the same look and feel of the living room and lobby, with bordeaux red coloured wall paper, dark wooden beams and a golden glow when the lights are on. The bed mattress, pillows and feather bed were amazingly soft. It’s the best hotel bed I ever slept in.
The bathroom had a jacuzzi bathtub, a shower, two sinks, hair dryer, shampoos, towels, washcloths, make-up mirror, Kleenex tissues and even cotton wools and cotton buds!
In the bedroom there was a minibar, safe, closet and ironing board. We had a writing desk and a table + two chairs at the window.
We didn't use the flatscreen tv or the airco (too chilly).
There is no free wifi in the room, nor are there tea making facilities, but both can be found downstairs.
Besides the living room there is a library, bar and a corner with two computers (free internet). We often found ourselves sitting in the living room, at all times of the day. And we weren’t the only ones! Many people sit here, enjoying the sumptuous decorations and the warm feeling the common areas exude. I loved the large soft chair (it easily fits two people), I curled up here to read while my colleague was soaking in the jacuzzi. There are newspapers in several languages available at the reception and the library is, duh, filled with books that guests can use.
It’s very easy to start a conversation with other hotel guests. This inviting hotel is like a second home and at the end of the day I looked forward to returning to Estheréa every time. They even have a hotel cat, called Hegje. She was saved from the animal shelter and now lives in the hotel. She has her own place to sleep but when its calm you can find her walking around in the common area or sleeping in one of the chairs. Hegje isn’t the only animal in the hotel, the lobby has a very beautiful aquarium as well.
You can also find a gym and a public telephone in the hotel. There are two lifts, but you can take the stairs if you like. The hotel also provides free umbrellas and ponchos when it rains. You can rent a Vespa scooter or order a taxi. Personally I find walking around the best way to discover the city, since the hotel is located inside the city center. We walked from the Central Station to our hotel in about 20 minutes, it’s very easy to find. All of the museums we visited were within walking distance.
All staff are incredibly kind and knowledgeable about the city. There is always at least one person at the reception and usually there is also someone walking around the common area.
We didn’t have breakfast in the hotel (price is € 16 per person). There is a small bakery (Lanskroon, Singel 385) two minutes walking away. So we bought something there and came back to the hotel to have breakfast in the living room. Some other people did this as well.
The only downside was that we woke up during the night a couple of times and early in the morning, because Spuistraat is apparently a busy road and the house right in front of our window was being renovated. The construction workers started at 7.30 a.m. but of course the hotel can’t do anything about this, so it didn’t really bother me for those two nights.
* good location on Singel overlooking a canal, and within walking distance of Central Station and most important highlights
* splendid and comfortable room
* helpful, attentive, agreeable and polite staff
* luggage was already in our room when we first entered our room = great service
* beautiful and cozy common areas, like living room and library, where you can just sit and relax
* free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cakes and candy all day long in the common area
If I’ll ever go back to Amsterdam I will most definitely return to Hotel Estheréa, I don’t want any other hotel than this one.
The official website of the hotel provides lots of pictures of the common areas, so I will mostly post pictures of our room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the city, Hotel Estherea is housed in a row of historic buildings on the major canal. Behind the 17th century façade, guests find a warm welcome in comfortable surroundings. With its woolen carpets, crystal chandeliers and sumptuous furniture, the hotel is an oasis of tranquility in the middle of the bustling city.The Estherea first opened its doors in the 1940s. this family business is currently run by the third generation. Although the hotel’s comforts and facilities have been brought up to date over the past sixty years, the concept of personal service and attention remains unchanged. All 92 rooms have been recently renovated and are all accessible by elevator. Each room has its own unique character: a wonderful place to unwind a day of exploring the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Venere, EasyToBook, HotelsNL, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hotel Estherea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Estherea Hotel Amsterdam
- Hotel Estherea Amsterdam