“Location, Location,Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 50, 1012 SC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Tulip Inn) (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #80 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Limerick, Ireland
“Location, Location,Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

As the title suggest the location is the key here! Let me start by saying if I am on a city break the hotel is used for sleeping and showering! I wouldn’t be one to spend hours reading, watching TV, or surfing the net in my room. If you are one that does then this hotel (or this room!) wouldn’t suit you.

The room we were allocated was very small, I had booked a standard twin as a friend and I were travelling. The room was very very small with two rather narrow single beds pushed together, the pillows were more cushion like than pillows, however it was still comfortable. We had a small bathroom with sliding door, bath & super powerful shower just the thing to wake you up in the morning, no frosted windows as described in previous posts. We were given a room at the back of the hotel, when the window was open it was noisey but when closed I couldnt hear a thing!

The foyer and halls were clean and tidy and while the décor is a little outdated in the bed room we were allocated.

The staff were polite and friendly and they gave us a map of the city and how to get where with what tram or train, we walked everywhere though. Also there was free wifi in the hotel that came in really hand when we used our iphone to map out our next destination.

I can’t comment on the food here as I didn’t have breakfast there is a bakery up the road where I got croissants - come out of the hotel and go right - and a juice bar on your next right!

This hotel is very close to Seasons restaurant, its two/three blocks at the back of the hotel, I would most definitely recommend Seasons it was fantastic, but that’s a whole other review!

I don’t know if I would stay here again or suggest this hotel, purely because of the price. They would need to re-evaluate their pricing structure for their smaller rooms. On a location note, then I would suggest you stay here but be prepared for small living arrangements!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
HotelRepr, Owner at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you so much for your compliments. I hope you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again at WestCord City Centre in Amsterdam.
Christian Westers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
nyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I agree with the other reviewers. The location of this hotel is great! Right in the middle of everything you needed and walking distance to the train. However, the rooms were in poor condition. One of the lights in the room was broken, there were stains on the walls and carpet, also the chain lock on my door was broken. This place is ok if you're not spending too much time in the hotel. Also the staff was helpful with answering my questions. I would not recommend anyone coming here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

This hotel was the base for our weekend in Amsterdam. It really is very central, which would usually mean that it is noisy at night, but it wasn't at all. The rooms were fine, not huge, but perfectly adequate. The foyer is modern and the staff were so helpful, pointing us in the right direction for anything we needed. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but it worked out well to go in search of good pancakes, which Amsterdam has in abundance!
The staff set this hotel apart. They were really great. Our friend bought a really lovely bottle of wine, which we wanted to drink in the hotel. the rooms are a little small for four, so we asked if we could drink it in the foyer and there was no problem at all. They gave us a corkscrew and four wine glasses. Above and beyond the call of duty. On our last morning there, we discovered how close we were to some of the red light district, (with some red light booths in the same block as the hotel) but it wasn't an issue at all.
Great service and very central location for all the sights in Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a three night break at The Wescord. To be honest after ready the reviews I was a bit worried about what to expect. We arrived early in the morning and the staff were very friendly and helful, they took their time to show us a map of the City and point out everywhere we wanted to visit.
We had booked a deluxe double room, yes it was small but very modern, great comfy bed and flat screen TV. The bathroom has frosted glass but it was spacious, clean and modern.
The reception of the hotel is large airy and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble.
The location of the Hotel is fabulous, 5 minutes from the Station, a short stroll to Dam Square and all the attractions ie The Red Light District, Anne Franks, madame Tussaudes and the Dungeons.
If I had to pick one downside to the Westcord it would be the breakfast. To be honest at fifteen euros it is overpriced and the little cafes across the street would be better value.
I would most definately stay at this hotel again and have already recommended it to friends, please dont be put off by bad reviews, you just cant please everyone, but the Wescord certaintly tries.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We have just returned from a visit to Amsterdam ,We have been a few times before and never had a bad experience with any hotel we stayed in , But this was a disaster .When we arrived all went well with checking in .We went to our room there was delux on the door so we were delighted thinking it would be fab,only to get a shock /the room was tiny rectangler shape there was no main light in the room only two lights on the headboard there was no bedroom room lockers either . the bed would be fine if you were a child but it was tiny for a double bed the mattress kept falling off the bed there was only a small duvet for two of us,But the best is yet to come the bathroom was frosted half way up fine but there was a design on the glass which meant you were looking at the toilet .Who wants to look at somebody on the toilet even a basis hostel would not have that. The Breakfast was very basis tin fruit cornflakes bread the hot water machine was broke so we had to wait till more was boiled .I would never stay here again because it is only one step ahead of a hostel,The only thing going for it , its location

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

My husband and I spent 9 days including Thanksgiving week in Paris, Venice, Rome and ending the last night in Amsterdam. After re-reading the reviews here, I had to double check to make sure we stayed at the same hotel everyone else was talking about. Yes, it was the Westcord City Centre but we didn’t get the rooms pictured or described here. We only stayed here because it was down the street from Centraal station and we had an early morning flight to catch.

It was also close to dam square and all the shopping. It really is a very good central location. Many trams stop a few feet from the entrance and will take you everywhere in the city. Luggage storage was available which was great since we arrived around 10AM. Free wi-fi was also available. The reception staff was friendly and helpful. Good security –we were provided with a card to open the front door and to use the elevator/lift after hours. Despite our room location, it was pretty quiet at night. Unfortunately, those were about the only good things going for this hotel during our stay.

The lobby is modern and nice but the room we had was in dire need of a major overhaul and remodeling. Our room (on the 3rd floor) which looked out into the main street, looked totally different from the pictures others posted here. I guess we were downgraded to their older rooms since we didn’t have the flat screen and the much talked about frosted glass bathroom. The bathroom was extremely small with the sink on the outside. Furniture was dated with 2 single mattresses pushed together.

The carpet was dark and even in its dark hue, you can see the stains. There were stains on the wall too. There were things on the bath tub that we did not even want to take a shower that night. I felt the need to sanitize everything twice with Lysol wipes. It was like staying at a really cheap, dirty motel. At least, the bedding looked clean enough to sleep on. We had stayed at much more spacious, cleaner rooms with better amenities for lower prices in Italy the previous week.

We definitely would NOT go back to this place as I’m sure there are other and better options. The state of our room left a bad and lasting impression on our last night in Europe. Thank goodness we only stayed here for 1 night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Rucker, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

First off, I read many of the previous reviews (both good and bad). To emphasize the good:

It’s in a very good location (about a 10 minute walk from the Central Amsterdam Train station). The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. There is 1 computer near the reception desk that has free internet service. We had no problems getting access to the computer, but this could be related to the time of year we vacationed (December…..the summer may be much busier).

To emphasize the “bad”

We reserved the “Deluxe” double room. It is small. The website states it’s for 1-2 people. I would agree that 1 should be fine, and okay for 2 people who are traveling LIGHT. We were not traveling light (2 big sport bags and 2 carry on sized luggage’s) and it was VERY CRAMPED. I did an informal measurement, and it came out to be approx 215 sq ft. I’ve read some people were uncomfortable with the glass window separating the bathroom and sleeping area. Half of the glass is frosted so it does cover a decent amount of space, but if you’re the type of person who wants/needs COMPLETE privacy……..go somewhere else.

The place is clean, but the toilet was oddly situated. It’s crammed between the shower and the sink…….it’s almost if it was an afterthought by the original designer. It’s a small toilet, so I’m guessing it’s designed more for the European build. I’m American, and I’d be the first to admit that Europeans (at least from this area) are in better/smaller physical shape (a positive statement on BIKE riding). This isn’t a problem for me (or the wife), but if you’re a little, or A LOT, on the “huskier” size you may want to look in a different direction or book a LARGER room.

So overall, I think it’s about a 3.5 star hotel. It’s not bad, but if we were to visit Amsterdam again, we may look somewhere else; BUT, I wouldn’t lose any sleep if this hotel was the only option.

So I recommend this hotel to a friend(s) if they are traveling light, and have a physical build that doesn't require a different zip code.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!