“Good value centrally located hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam

You added WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 50, 1012 SC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Tulip Inn)   |
Ranked #79 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Good value centrally located hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I visited with 3 old friends for a short break. The hotel is within easy walking distance of central station and of Dam square and the other main attractions.

The place has had a recent refurb so it's neat and tidy and well presented. Rooms have a glass box room containing shower/ toilet which means the smallish rooms feel more spacious.

Interesting room layout has the foot of the double bed against the wall with the head in the middle of the room and a desk directly behind. Seems a bit strange at first but makes for easier viewing of the wall mounted TV.

Small criticism is that the double bed frame contains 2 single mattresses with 2 single duvets. Result is that as I was a single occupant I couldn't use the centre of the double bed - as is my wont - without disappearing down the crack! Also the single duvet idea doesn't work too well - bits of me tending to escape from under at regular intervals. I'm sure this is great for those wanting a twin bed experience but it's not for me.

Breakfast costs an extra €12.50 and has the usual selection.

Reception staff are all terrific - Helen in particular was outstanding and very helpful with excursion tickets and good advice on local restaurants. All very friendly.

Overall a good experience but the bed issue means 4 rather than 5 stars.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Urbanfox93,

Thanks so much for this great review! It's always really nice to hear our staff impressed you, Helen sends you her greetings.

With regards to your bed, it seems like you were in a Twin bedded bedroom rather than in a Double room.. For your next stay we will make sure to provide you with a room with one big bed, and one big duvet to keep you all covered the entire night.

In case you would like to share any other experiences; please do contact me!

Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I have just returned from four nights in this hotel with my 15 year old daughter. Location was good, room fine (glass bathroom took some getting used to!), clean and staff happy to help in any way we asked. The bad points are out of the hotels control but none of the previous reviews I had read told you that just round the corner were the streets full of the red lights and girls and this is not marked as the red light district on the hotel map. I was fine with this but my daughter was less happy to be so close. Most nights we went to sleep with the smell of cannabis coming in through the hotel ventilation system even though it is meant to be a completely smoke free hotel. Told staff but they are unable to locate room where people are smoking but were very sorry.

Room Tip: Second floor deluxe twin was fine. Beds are like marshmallows but we slept very well even though we...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Bigshirl2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I can vividly imagine that red lights and girls are not an experience you wish to share with your daughter.

Whenever you plan on visiting Amsterdam again, please do contact me at lotte.dijkmansvangunst@westcordhotels.nl; I would be happy to show you how to walk Amsterdam without passing any red light (best part of my alternative routes; they usually are quicker!) and accomodate you in a room facing the Front Side with a traditional "stone" bathroom.

Warmest regards,

Verwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed for a weekend in April 2014. Nice hotel, very clean but expensive. I have stayed in equally good hotels for much less €€€€.
Breakfast we didn't have as it was €12 each!!!! Really???
Nice hotel but will find somewhere cheaper next year.

Room Tip: Glass walled en suite takes a bit of getting used to but overall a good room. Tea and coffee making...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Andy P,

Thanks for sharing your experience! Happy to hear you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel. We indeed work with an advanced revenue management system as Amsterdam is a very "high demanded" city.

Our full breakfast buffet with fresh, both local and international, warm and cold items can be booked at a discount in advance, did you know we also prepare special requests?

Next time you plan on visiting Amsterdam, please do contact me (lotte.dijkmansvangunst@westcordhotels.nl); we have a "best price guarantee". Looking forward to hearing from you!

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My wife and I and a group of friends stayed at the Westcord for a weekend. The hotel is a very easy to get to, a couple minute walk from the train station and theres a tram line stop down the block to take you anywhere else you need to get to (only a couple stops from the Rikjsmuseum, Iamsterdam sign, Van Gogh museum). The room size was fine (not the largest and not the smallest). The bed was surprisingly comfortable. The one thing you'll have to get used to is the bathroom is basically a glass box (not much privacy if your shy - theres the grey stripe across the middle to keep something to the imagination, haha). It was fine for us, and i do remember seeing something similar in another hotel on a work trip to copenhagen. The hotel staff are super friendly (Elise i think) was very helpful at check in and check out. They let us stow our luggage after checkout, checked the train schedule and even called the train station since they saw "delays expected" to get us further information. I'd recommend this hotel for anyone visiting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear mtfb45,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! Eline sends you her greetings and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights from 1st of April 2014. The hotel is excellent in every aspect. The room was immaculate. The staff were lovely and very attentive. The location was ideal, 5 mins walk from most attractions and shops. I can't speak more highly of my stay. Will be back in the future for sure!

• Stayed April 2014
LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Kiedogg,

We can't thank you enough for this rewarding review!

Looking forward to your next visit.

Pingree Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I recently stayed here and the staff was amazing. Stephanie at the front desk was a sweetheart, helped me find the train time and info I needed to get back to the airport. Plus the two ladies working the front desk when I checked in we're amazing as well. I arrived much earlier than check in time and my room was ready and available for me. Thanks again for a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor if city noise bothers you
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Darrend3,

Thank you so much for this great review! Stephanie sends you her greetings and your compliments have been passed on to our Front Desk team.

We're looking forward to welcoming you, in case you decide to visit Holland, again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I only gave this hotel 3\5 because although it is well located, close to Amsterdam Centre, and clean and friendly there are some points that should be highlighted!
Firstly, the apparently discounted breakfast from €15 to €12.50 is, in my opinion, not worth the money. I would recommend some of the local cafés offering better value for money.
In addition, items for sale in the foyer are considerably more expensive than from the little shop next door. €3.50 for a diet coke compared to €2.
There is a sign in reception giving the opportunity to purchase discount tickets to some of the attractions. A ticket for the Van Gogh museum listed as €15 we were told was in fact wrong and was €16. Fortunately, the lady on reception was unable to get on the computer to make the booking. This is just as well as we found out that the tickets at the museum were in fact only €15. I would have felt a bit cheated if we had bought the 'discounted' one in the hotel. Perhaps someone from Westcord Hotels could tell me why so called 'discounted' tickets are more expensive and also why reception staff told us the sign was wrong and was €16 and not €15 as stated. In this day and age surely it is easy to update signs and prices!!
The room was freshly decorated and clean. The bed was narrow and like sleeping on a marshmallow. The downside was if you moved from the centre you tended to roll out of the bed! Lastly, we had a front facing room which tended to be a bit noisy.
All this being said, the location is only a 5 minute walk from Amsterdam Central and close to the main attractions. The minus points of the hotel didn't spoil our visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LotteDijkmans, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Ang1966,

Thank you for your constructive review! We indeed suffered from severe issues with our ticketing system, I am happy to inform you we have been able to solve these and now have a perfectly working, adequate system so next time you visit I can assure you prices are correct now..

When you visit us next time, try one of our rooms on the backside of an internal room, even with the windows open you will feel like you are at the country side!

Would you please inform me which room you were in during your stay at lotte.dijkmansvangunst@westcordhotels.nl? As all our rooms are highly sound proofed we would like to run some tests..

Looking forward to your reply.

Assistant Hotel Manager

Been to WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!