“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam

You added WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 50, 1012 SC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Tulip Inn)   |
Ranked #89 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Chose this hotel based on the good reviews on here and they where spot on. I stayed here for 3 nights with my fiance and couldn't fault a thing. The location is 2 minutes walk from Centraal Station, 10 minutes from Dam Square and The Red Light District and 15 minutes to Anne Frank Huis. We stayed in a deluxe room which had a double bed, desk and chair, flat screen tv with mostly English/American programmes with Dutch subtitles which was a bonus and a free digital safe. We didn't eat in the hotel just because right across the street is the main centre of Amsterdam which leads to Dam Square and there is hundreds of different types of bars and restaurants. Great location, great rooms, great staff, great hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe room, it only cost us around an extra £10 per night.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelRepr, Owner at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear guest, thank you for the great comments which you posted on Tripadvisor. I look forward to meet you again at the Westcord City Centre hotel in the hart of Amsterdam.
Regards, Martin Lindelauf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We are currently staying in this hotel and are very happy with the room, location and staff. After all the differing reviews we read on these rooms I am very pleasantly surprised. Our room is a deluxe twin room no 517. It is an unusual design as you have the foot of the beds touching a carpeted wall on the foot end. The TV is on that wall so nice and close to view from bed. The bathroom is a nice size compared to many hotels I have been in lately. The walls are frosted glass, no lock on the door. I can understand people who are not a couple finding this a little less private than a solid wall but it is still adequate for privacy. A hair dryer is supplied in the bathroom. There is a desk and chair behind the head of the bed (again unusual) with phone, two power outlets, drawers with tea and coffee making facilities inside. Good size robe with safe. The window opens to let in fresh air, we have no view but that is fine and also means absolutely no street noise. There is a choice of street or back of building, we chose back for peace and quiet. The beds are two singles made up separately but pushed together. I do not know if a non couple can get beds apart. They are very comfortable and lovely and clean with two pillows. The room has air conditioner which we have used almost constantly - also have an opening window for fresh air. Good block out curtains. There is room to put two good size suitcases on the floor if you work out the best location for ease of moving around the room. This room has been perfect for us, it isn't the largest room we have had but I would say it is as good as we have had for appointments. The Hotel has a nice lounge area downstairs if you feel the room is small. There is an elevator which cannot be accessed without a room card. The location is just about as central as you could get. We paid 104 Euros including taxes and feel this is good value, would pay up to 130.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelRepr, Manager at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive comment on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed our hotel and our service. For your information we do have twin rooms.
Looking forward to welcome your back in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I almost wrote this review immediately after my wife and I checked in to this hotel. Besides the central location in Amsterdam, there were no redeeming qualities at the hotel. We started out by being given 2 twin beds and when I went down right away to change rooms I was told there were none even though I reserved this room months ago. I then called downstairs to ask for extra pillows because I have a bad back and was then greeted by the staff with half the pillows I asked for and was told "this is all you can have." There is no air conditioning in the room so if you are used to AC then don't stay there. Later on the first day, we went to the front desk to see if we can buy a bottle of wine and they said they don't have any. The TV was small and only had 1 English channel. My wife and I are really not complainers but staying there was just so awful. We didn't receive a warm welcome and I believe the man that brought our bags up to the room (who is also the maintenance person) was under the influence of marijuana.

I went to take a shower to only find out the removable shower head was broken and wouldn't stay up. I called and when they sent up the maintenance guy he basically balanced the shower head so it appeared to work and as soon as I turned it on later that night it fell to the ground and I was forced to shower with one hand and hold the shower head with the other. They said they would come back the next day to fix it and never showed.

To make a long story short, I wouldn't suggest this place to my worst enemy and I hope the hotel owners read this review.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that the room and service received in our hotel did not meet your expectations. Indeed, in our comfort rooms which you booked we don't have AC, however we do have this in our deluxe rooms. I can assure you that our staff was not under influence of marijuana. However I do apologies for the broken shower.
When you return to Amsterdam and want to come back to the Westcord City Center Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me. I will personally look after your reservation and your room.
Nutley, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This hotel was in a good location, about 5 mins walk from centrall station. All areas like dam square, damrak were few mins walk only. Van Gogh was about 20 mins walk. The rooms were nice and clean and very modern. The bathroom doors did not have locks so little problem with kids. The room is small but cozy. The property overall was nice. There is a grocery store about 3-4 mins walk in the opposite direction of the central station called Albert Heijn so it was good to buy fruits and bread and milk. Any small place around the hotel would cost twice as much.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive comment on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to welcome your back in the future.
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

If you are a tourist in Amsterdam, this hotel is perfect for you. It is walking distance to everything----train station, red light district, the canal, restaurants. The rooms are VERY small, but new, modern and well appointed. It offers free wifi in the rooms and free coffee in the lobby. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience in our hotel on Tripadvisor. The location of the hotel is indeed centrally located.
Hope to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed here during the second week of September. Got to Amsterdam Centraal Station and were hailing a cab who told us it was a 5 minute walk - we were hesitant but it really is a 5 minute walk on one straight street - very easy to get to and we had what I would call an average amount of luggage. Huge plus - saved on cab fare and quick access in and out the city, to the airports, etc.

The rooms have been recently renovated (most of them anyway) - so they are quite clean. Certain areas of the carpet looked a bit in need of a good steaming but overall, I was very comfortable (and I am a massive clean freak!). Rooms are definitely small - much smaller than North American hotels but they have maximized the efficiency of the space with functional layout. We asked for a room with a view and we were facing the main street --- the front desk warned us that it could get loud at night, however, we slept with the window open and were undisturbed --- that being said, we were there on a Monday-Wednesday --- so i imagine it could get a lot noisier on the weekend.

Bathrooms are glassed in - so if you arent with your significant other or a close friend, it could be a bit uncomfortable. Loved the shower though - rain shower head, great pressure, hot water - just what we needed after a long day touring.

The location is amazing -- we were a 15-20 minute walk to the Anne Frank house, same to the red light district and basically did not need to take the tram anywhere to see most of the mainstream tourist attractions. The tram stop was right in front of the hotel though - so very convenient.

Overall, great value for the price (we booked for approx. $150 CAD per night) and i would definitely stay here again!

PS: do not go to the Ice Bar - worst 15 euros I ever spent!!

Room Tip: If you can deal with some noise, ask for a room with a view. It fronts the street and is nice to wak...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelRepr, Owner at WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear gueast, thank you for your positive comments regarding the service and location of the hotel. We do our utmoast to perfectly clean the hotelI. It was nice to read that we met your expectations in this subject.
I hope to meet you again at the Westcord City Centre Hotel.
Kind regards, Martin Lindelauf
edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

my husband and I stayed here in august for 2 nights,it was kinda pricey but everything is during the summer in amsterdam is.I was pleasantly surprised when we got there,the staff was nice and the room was quite new and very clean! The shower is very tiny and does fill up in minutes as others have said. You cant beat the location here,it was close to everything,we pretty much walked everywhere, Central station is right down the block as well so catching the train is super easy!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear gueast, thank you for your positive comments regarding the service and location of the hotel. I am sorry to read that you faced the problems with the drainage in the shower. I can assure you that we do a weekly cleaning of these drainages but still I face these comments. Thank you for writing this in your comments.
I hope to meet you again at the Westcord City Centre Hotel.
Kinde regards, Martin Lindelauf

Been to WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!