“Close to perfection” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken

You added Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken to your Saves list
Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luykenstraat 58, 1071 CS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Ranked #75 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Close to perfection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Must say first; Amsterdam is generally a very expensive city for accomadation!
But I was able to book this hotel at a low rate, normally it's much higher, and they gave me a free upgrade to a superior room... these are 2 big +'s of course and color my review even more possitive.
The hotel is/looked very clean and located in a silent area not far from the center, easy to reach by foot.
Tramway 2 and 5 to the central station are just around the corner.
Only satisfaction about the room; luxurious, clean and quiet.
The staff was very friendly and helpfull.
Breakfast, wich was included, was more than good and also here; very friendly and helpfull staff
Maybe 1 minus; only 1 elevator, waiting time can take a while sometimes...
My general opinion; warmly recommended, I'll possibly be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Janluyken58, General Manager at Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and will pass on your nice compliments to the entire staff.

How nice that you noticed our quiet neighbourhood, which is still in walking distance to all the main attractions.
I am delighted that you liked all aspects of your stay from the hotel itself to the room upgrade to one of our Superior rooms and the friendly, helpful staff.

We truly hope to welcome you back in our hotel during your next visit of Amsterdam.

Ed.W.M. Jongen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Cannot recommend highly enough this excellent 4star hotel in South Amsterdam. Arrived here very late after a 12 hour delay from UK! The reception staff were excellent. Food is also of a very high standard and reasonably priced. Rooms very well appointed and tastefully decorated. All in all, a great location close to the main museums, and concert venues.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and other travellers regarding your stay at the Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken.

How nice that you noticed our nice neighbourhood, which is close to the main attractions in Amsterdam.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire the team.

We really hope to welcome you again in our hotel next time you will visit Amsterdam.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I traveled to Amserdam for vacation with my 18 year old son (mom and son team) and we were in Amsterdam for 4 days. I picked this hotel after an extensive search for a hotel that was not terribly expensive, close to museums and other central parts of town, had some character and was nice but not extravagant.

Bilderberg Jan Luyken was excellent in every way. Our room was rather small but I understand this it typical and was not surprised or disappointed by the size. It was immaculately clean, everything that we needed was provided, the AC was working great (and it was warm on certain days in Amsterdam).

The hotel had tickets to the Van Gough Museum and other museum. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a breakfast buffet that is rather expensive (14 euros a person) for the selection you get but the convenience of having it available can be very worth it and the food was quite good. We ended up getting breakfast there only half the time, as there are lots of other places around. A few blocks away there are wonderful pancake houses that are much cheaper, but with that said, I appreciated being able to not worry about breakfast on the first morning in town.

There is also a grocery store about a block away and they have a wonderful selection of all kinds of food.

A cash machine is on the end of the block, about 2 minutes walking distance.

All the central museums are a block away.

I could not have been happier with a hotel and if I ever come back to Amserdam, I will for sure stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay in the Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken.

It is by such lovely reviews that motivate us to work even harder to deliver high level guest service throughout the hotel.

We are looking forward welcoming you again in the near future.

Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Good Hotel, staff very friendly and helpful, reasonable prices, great location. Many attractions are within walking distance e.g the museums, the Vondelpark. The 197 bus from Schiphol airport stops 30 metres from the hotel as do the trams from the Central station. I'll definitely stay there again

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about us following your stay at the Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

I am delighted that you liked all aspects of your stay from the hotel itself to the staff and location. I have passed on your kind words to the entire the team.

Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is ideally situated on a quiet street in the Museum district of Amsterdam. It is very easy (and cheap) to get to from the airport as you can pick up a bus from the airport that will drop you in front of the Rijksmuseum - the hotel is a short one block walk from the stop. Because it is situated in a residential neighbourhood, their are great restaurants within a 10 or 15 minute walk - a nice contrast to the large number of touristy restaurants found near Dam square. It is also a short walk to the Vondelpark - Amsterdam's version of Central Park - which provides a nice break from the crowds of the city.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and relatively spacious (at least by European standards). The staff are friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Janluyken58, General Manager at Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I will pass on your compliments to the entire staff.
How nice that you noticed our nice neighbourhood, which is quiet but still close to the main attractions in Amsterdam. We hope to welcome you back in our hotel another time!

Ed.W.M. Jongen
St. Albert, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I booked this hotel for a solo trip to Amsterdam to explore museums and history. The property is located within two blocks of three major museums, which made it easy to enter the museums carrying minimal stuff, and to slip back to my room for a quick rest and refresh before heading off again to explore markets and nightlife. I was very grateful for this, as the weather was rainy and cold during my stay, and I could dry off in between activities. The hotel in general is somewhat pricey, but my room, #114, was well within my budget. However, the room is on the first floor just above the entrance door, so was noisy all night, and it would not be possible for two people to stay in this room, no matter how much they like each other. Luckily I had ear plugs along! The staff was professional and helpful, and accommodated my jet lag in cleaning the room. They also went out of their way to assist when I left something in the room after checkout - much appreciated. The wifi is NOT FREE (unless booked somehow as part of the room charge), and the breakfast is a whopping 19.50 Euro per person, so check your booking carefully to see if either is included. There was a small fridge in the room, so I made use of that and the nearby supermarket to take care of breakfast. I did not use the mini-bar supplies available in the room, so can't comment on the cost. The computer in the lobby is connected to a printer, which can be used at no extra charge, to print out online tickets and boarding passes - a must to save spending huge amounts of time standing in lines. The front desk also sells public transit passes, and the staff was helpful in giving directions and answering questions. There is a very handy bus stop at the top of the road for the 197 bus that goes back and forth from Schiphol, 5 euro per person, an inexpensive way to get into the city - this is another way to save a few dollars. All in all, I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again, if the price was right.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on an upper floor, away from the front entrance. There is an elevator t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and other travelers regarding your stay at the Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken.

I am really pleased to read that you have enjoyed our clean rooms, location and service.
We strive to provide the best service as posible and appreciate that you have noticed our good location and how helpful our staff is.

We really hope to welcome you next time you will visit Amsterdam.

With warm regards,

St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We just spent three nights at this charming hotel prior to taking a river cruise. The location was perfect for us (just a five minute walk to the Van Gogh Museum and less than ten minutes to the Rijksmuseum). It is located on a quiet residential street but is quite close to a number of restaurants. Our room was large and airy with a small balcony (2 chairs). The A/C worked well, the bathroom was large and all in all we had a pleasant stay. Kelly at the front desk was extremely helpful in suggesting restaurants and areas to walk in. Our only complaint was the price of breakfast (19euro) and the rather meager selection. We tried it once and then discovered a breakfast jewel (Beans and Bagels) located less than 5 minutes away. A great breakfast for under 9 euros (see separate review).

When I return to Amsterdam I will once again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really appreciate it.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Superior room with balcony, especially in the summer it is nice to end the day with a cold drink on your balcony.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire the team, especially to Kelly and she was really grateful.

It is by such lovely reviews that motivates us to work even harder to deliver high level guest service throughout the hotel.

Looking forward welcoming you again in the near future.