“Quiet Hotel in a Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken

You added Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken to your Saves list
Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luykenstraat 58, 1071 CS Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #73 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary
“Quiet Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is ideally situated on a quiet street in the Museum district of Amsterdam. It is very easy (and cheap) to get to from the airport as you can pick up a bus from the airport that will drop you in front of the Rijksmuseum - the hotel is a short one block walk from the stop. Because it is situated in a residential neighbourhood, their are great restaurants within a 10 or 15 minute walk - a nice contrast to the large number of touristy restaurants found near Dam square. It is also a short walk to the Vondelpark - Amsterdam's version of Central Park - which provides a nice break from the crowds of the city.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and relatively spacious (at least by European standards). The staff are friendly and courteous.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Janluyken58, General Manager at Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I will pass on your compliments to the entire staff.
How nice that you noticed our nice neighbourhood, which is quiet but still close to the main attractions in Amsterdam. We hope to welcome you back in our hotel another time!

Kind regards,

Ed.W.M. Jongen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
St. Albert, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I booked this hotel for a solo trip to Amsterdam to explore museums and history. The property is located within two blocks of three major museums, which made it easy to enter the museums carrying minimal stuff, and to slip back to my room for a quick rest and refresh before heading off again to explore markets and nightlife. I was very grateful for this, as the weather was rainy and cold during my stay, and I could dry off in between activities. The hotel in general is somewhat pricey, but my room, #114, was well within my budget. However, the room is on the first floor just above the entrance door, so was noisy all night, and it would not be possible for two people to stay in this room, no matter how much they like each other. Luckily I had ear plugs along! The staff was professional and helpful, and accommodated my jet lag in cleaning the room. They also went out of their way to assist when I left something in the room after checkout - much appreciated. The wifi is NOT FREE (unless booked somehow as part of the room charge), and the breakfast is a whopping 19.50 Euro per person, so check your booking carefully to see if either is included. There was a small fridge in the room, so I made use of that and the nearby supermarket to take care of breakfast. I did not use the mini-bar supplies available in the room, so can't comment on the cost. The computer in the lobby is connected to a printer, which can be used at no extra charge, to print out online tickets and boarding passes - a must to save spending huge amounts of time standing in lines. The front desk also sells public transit passes, and the staff was helpful in giving directions and answering questions. There is a very handy bus stop at the top of the road for the 197 bus that goes back and forth from Schiphol, 5 euro per person, an inexpensive way to get into the city - this is another way to save a few dollars. All in all, I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again, if the price was right.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on an upper floor, away from the front entrance. There is an elevator t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and other travelers regarding your stay at the Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken.

I am really pleased to read that you have enjoyed our clean rooms, location and service.
We strive to provide the best service as posible and appreciate that you have noticed our good location and how helpful our staff is.

We really hope to welcome you next time you will visit Amsterdam.

With warm regards,

Ed W. M. Jongen
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We just spent three nights at this charming hotel prior to taking a river cruise. The location was perfect for us (just a five minute walk to the Van Gogh Museum and less than ten minutes to the Rijksmuseum). It is located on a quiet residential street but is quite close to a number of restaurants. Our room was large and airy with a small balcony (2 chairs). The A/C worked well, the bathroom was large and all in all we had a pleasant stay. Kelly at the front desk was extremely helpful in suggesting restaurants and areas to walk in. Our only complaint was the price of breakfast (19euro) and the rather meager selection. We tried it once and then discovered a breakfast jewel (Beans and Bagels) located less than 5 minutes away. A great breakfast for under 9 euros (see separate review).

When I return to Amsterdam I will once again stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we really appreciate it.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Superior room with balcony, especially in the summer it is nice to end the day with a cold drink on your balcony.

I have passed on your kind words to the entire the team, especially to Kelly and she was really grateful.

It is by such lovely reviews that motivates us to work even harder to deliver high level guest service throughout the hotel.

Looking forward welcoming you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Ed W. M. Jongen
Herefordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here for four nights and used it as a base to visit the main museums as well as other sights in the centre of Amsterdam. Well served by trams, it's easy to get into the centre. The hotel has a small bar also serving light bites. We found the staff to be most helpful. We needed a room for three people including our 16 year old daughter. They put out an extra folding bed in the room which was perfect. The room faced to the front and we could open the french windows to let air in and take in the street - we could see the Rijksmuseum building just a few blocks away. We rented some bikes from the hotel which were perfect for a three hour cycle around the canals.

Breakfast is served in a basement room for EUR15/19 which we did not think was great value so went out to the nearby stedelijk museum which had a great breakfast serving till noon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel 3 night on a weekend, the hotel is perfectly located next to the museum area, vondel park and only 10-15 minutes walk from the pubs and restaurants areas. we got a big room on the 2nd floor with free wifi, nicely furnished. the hotel staff is great and helpful. One can also rent bikes from the hotel. The bus shuttle to/from the airport is on the street corner (30 min. drive, 5 euros).

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Claremont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The rooms are lovely and spacious, the location is splendid, and the staff is excellent, but this is not a perfect hotel--the beds were uncomfortable, breakfast was severely limited and not included, and the price was quite high. This is an average hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I picked this hotel based on trip advisor reviews. This was my first solo international trip, so safety and location were most important for me. I had an amazing experience from start to finish. I stayed here for the first half of my trip, and moved to a hotel next to Dam Square for the final three days.

I arrived 5 hours early for check in and they were able to provide me with a room. The room had hair on the bedding, so I called down to the receptionist who offered me a new room or change in bedding if i preferred the original room immediately. They agreed that the hair situation was "gross!." - her words.

There was a tv, refrigerator and toiletries in the room. The room was small but, I expected that based on reviews of amsterdam. It was quite updated and cozy for me.

The staff was absolutely incredible. Every single receptionist I encountered was helpful with directions, recommendations on places to eat, which way to walk. I felt like this is how every hotel experience should be.

The location is one block away from The Van Gogh museum, 5-7 min walk to the Heinekan experience (and through a very charming, non touristy neighborhood), 7-10 min walk to Leidesplein. There is a bus and tram stop one block away. Bus 197 brings you directly here from the airport for 5 Euros.

Overall I would stay here again if I ever visited amsterdam! It was the perfect hotel traveling solo. The refrigerator was really helpful to keep drinks and food, that I purchased at a grocery store (late night hunger, and food is very expensive in Amsterdam!)

The only downside was that there was no complimentary internet. Which originally was a requirement for me. This was the only missing star. Regardless I would still stay here again. The hotel cost was high, but I booked very last minute. Plan ahead you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Bilderberg Hotel Jan Luyken? Share your experiences!