“High Class, Wonderful Staff and Perfect Location! Kicking off the Honeymoon at the Toren...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Toren

Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

My wife and I spent almost three weeks in Europe for our honeymoon. We decided to book through a travel agent (who was excellent), and she had us stay at the Toren in Amsterdam, our first city of the trip.

We arrived at the Toren early in the morning, because our flight came in at 7 am. Our room was not ready, but we expected that to be the case. To pass time, we decided to explore Amsterdam, and immediately, the front desk staff were helping us get our bearings, making suggestions and really making us feel comfortable in the city.

The hotel's location is perfect. It is on a nice, mellow canal, but just a few blocks from the hustle and bustle of city center. It is walking distance from everything, and close to many private homes, with niche restaurants, cafes, boutiques, and local flavor peppered throughout the neighborhood.

When we returned to the Toren, we were offered a drink before heading to our room. The bar in the hotel, along with the sitting/dining room is really well designed. It is a perfect mix of old world (as in castle) furniture with a fresh, modern feeling. I can't say enough about the friendliness of the people that worked at the hotel.

Anyway, they had us follow the bellman to our room, and it was way, way, way better than we could have ever anticipated. It was probably the most unique and relaxing hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. With direct access to the courtyard, our room was fully loaded with a huge bed with a ton of soft and fluffy pillows, a giant jacuzzi tub, high-tech steam shower, cappuccino/espresso machine, flat-screen tvs, and even a bottle of champagne and some other goodies.

It was the perfect environment for us to relax, unwind and retire to after explorations in such a neat and unique city.

The question I always ask myself after exploring a new city or place: "Will I go back?"

I can say that the comfort offered by this boutique hotel, the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, location and overall experience of staying at this place added a ton of value to our trip and helped to make Amsterdam stand out in my head as one of the most friendly, fun and interesting cities in the world.

Will I go back? Absolutely! I would recommend anyone traveling to Amsterdam to spend their nights at the Toren Hotel. I've found "my spot" for sure. Highly recommended for an upscale, non-snooty, warm, comfortable and laid back place to stay.

1,320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

As a business traveler I truly appreciate a hotel like The Toren. Having stayed in everything from big hotel chains to trendy design hotels it's amazing how few hotels manage to deliver the kind of service which make life on a road that little bit easier. The Toren gets it right every time though; from the consistently welcoming service (it truly is a place "where everyone knows your name"), to sorting out anything you might need (continental plugs, sushi craving sorted and delivered to your room or bar, last minute meeting room required for an all-day workshop for 10 people, cash back, etc.).

It must be said though, that if you are looking for a bland and beige, blank canvas-type of hotel then this place is not for you. But for me, it's a relief to stay somewhere with a little personality, somewhere I can happily recommend to my friends and colleagues.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Manhattan Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I stumbled across the Toren years ago on Trip Advisor, and have been absolutely in love ever since. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, the staff are delightful, and the location can't be beat. It sits on a large, but quiet canal on the edge of the Jordaan.. and is literally stumbling distance to everything. 5 minutes to Dam square. 2 minutes to the Anne Frank House. Quaint and alluring neighborhoods and restaurants... just around the corner. The staff even took time to start teaching me Dutch! I've been going to Holland for years, and have had to stay in other hotels because the Toren was booked... and regretted it! I'm truthfully afraid of writing this review because I don't want the place to be discovered. One of the last true gems.

Staffordshire,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Where do I start to explain how we feel about the Hotel Toren, My husband and myself have been going to the hotel for the last 8 yrs we have stopped in Feb, Easter, and June. every-time has been fantastic. great location. great food . great atmosphere, great staff. great owners, lovely bedrooms lovely garden to relax in. near all local attractions,and close to the Jordan where you will find Anna Frank house. great places to eat right on your doorstep.would fully recommend. we love this hotel very-much and would not stop anywhere else in Amsterdam. we will be back for the 9Th year next year can't wait. Phil and Kay staffordshire England.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I booked my parents into my local hotel in Amsterdam which I use frequently for my business guests. They were both delighted with the welcome and level of service, which is especially important as my father has mobility difficulties. The staff at the Toren made them feel very comfortable and even arranged a wheelchair for my father. The Toren overlooks the Keizersgracht so is both quiet and central. I will continue to direct my friends, family and business guests there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Mumbai, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed two nights at the Toren in mid-June 2009. The entire hotel seems to have been designed to evoke a feeling of being in a hipper-than-thou lounge bar or nightclub. Right from walking into the little lobby, it is all dark velvet drapes, scarlet and purple wallpaper, black desks and chandeliers, and a general feeling of deliberately hip gloominess. We absolutely hated it.

Our room in the annex to the hotel [the hotel is split into two buildings, 164 and 146 Keizersgracht] smelt musty and the bed linens did not feel fresh. The carpets are thick pile, the duvets on the bed are thick velvet in black and red, and both of them felt dusty and a bit dirty. There was a black chandelier right above the bed, giving a very dungeon-like atmosphere. The bathroom was adequate, with a powerful shower, and the toiletries by Rituals were excellent.

The hotel staff was friendly enough and we received prompt and cheerful help with our bags and at checkout. We have no complaints about the staff or the amenities of the hotel. In fact, the location was fantastic with an excellent Thai restaurant just around the corner. We just absolutely despised the decor, and as this hotel ages [some signs of aging are already visible], it is not going to be a graceful proceess.

Superior, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Overall, I LOVED this hotel! I stayed in the Annex, which is about half block from the main building. I had a double room for 2 days, then a single for the remainder of my stay. Overall, VERY impressed. The first single I was in was not the best location (right next to the elevator) and therefore noisy, but I was able to move to a different room without issue.

The rooms are very comfortable, and the single rooms are large by European standards with oversize single beds. I would recommend earplugs as the building is very old, so sound does tend to travel through the floors. The rooms are also clean, have an espresso machine in each room, and also have internet available for a small fee. The rooms are a bit dark, but not bad - it is really relaxing. Be aware that there are no elevators (at least not in the Annex), and the stairs are narrow given the building style.

The location can not be beat - 5 minute walk to the Anne Frank House, and 10 minute walk to Dam Square, Centraal Station and Royal Palace. Very easy to get a tram to anywhere you want to go within a 5 minute walk. The hotel is on a quaint canal, and the area is not noisy like the hotels on Dam square. The restaurants close by are more upscale, but I was able to find nice neighborhood restaurants in a 5 minute walk.

Staff is incredible - very accomodating, polite and knowledeable. I did not try the restaurant while I was a guest, but it looked very inviting.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo

Been to The Toren? Share your experiences!