“Toren - the best hotel around!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Toren - the best hotel around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Just returned from our second stay in the amazing Bridal Suite at Hotel Toren. It is, without any doubt, the most luxurious, romantic hotel that we have ever stayed in. We stayed to celebrate our engagement and was delighted to have been offered a complimentary bottle of champage. Rather cheekily, we asked for wine instead and to our surprise, we returned from dinner to find not just wine but chocolates and fresh strawberries too - a very, very nice touch.

I travel quite a bit due to my work so I have stayed at hundreds of places, but Toren really is miles ahead. The staff are efficient, genuinely friendly and discrete.

The decor is opulent - the attention to detail of the designers is evident. The hotel bar is pefect for an indulgent drink.

The bridal suite is in a separate building a few doors down from the main reception area so it really feels like your own private apartment. The room itself is enormous; 70m2. It features high ceilings, huge windows, a marble fireplace, the biggest 4 poster bed you'll ever see, flatscreen TV, DVD player, ipod dock, hi-fi, Nespresso coffee machine and minibar.

The absolute best part of this room is the bathroom. In the bedroom, there is a staircase leading down to a beautiful huge marble bathroom; his'n'hers basins, a double headed shower and most importantly, a jacuzzi with ample room for 2!

The room was incredibly quiet (although the cleaners were a little noisy in the surrounding rooms when we checked in at around 2pm) but this was over quickly.

Location wise its situated on a relatively quiet street with shops, restaurants and bars nearby. Dam square is about 5 mins walk away. If you're looking for a bite to eat, I reccomend Restaurant De Struisvogel, about 4 mins walk away on the same street (number 168 I think).

You should note that the bridal suite is due for refurbishment very soon, to bring the decor in line with the rest of the hotel. No doubt it will look great so we hope to be back again soon to check it out.

Overall, if you're looking for a special, luxurious place to stay whilst in Amsterdam, you will not be dissapointed at the Toren.

• Liked — Huge luxurious room and the jacuzzi
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
West Midlands, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

Fab Fab fab, hotel, booked this place on the strength of the reviews on this site and it did not fail us. Hotel location 10/10, hotel staff 10/10 hotel 10/10. I had stayed in the radisson sas previously but this did not really compare to the Toren for the feel you get from the min you walk through the door ! My girlfriend and me spent our birthday here (we have the same birthday) and it was exactly what we wanted. oh and the breakfast was 10/10 too, we took the option to have it in the room and found we had enough for lunch too !! GO ON STAY HERE !!!

• Liked — Style and staff
  • Disliked — price but im tight !
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed at this great hotel a weekend in November. We had a flight in to Amsterdam very early one morning and were able to check in almost immediately!

Our room was very small, but beautifully decorated. And we absolutely loved the bar/dining room as well as the breakfast which was better than most big international hotels.

Also the location is great. 10 min walk to the Dam

The staff were polite and very helpful and I can definetly recommend this to anyone.

A great experience.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Belgium, Leuven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

One of the great hotels EVER!!!! And certainly the team is so friendly and very nice Rooms and soo quite!!!!!
Located in the middle of Amsterdam!!!!

• Liked — The TEAM
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hull UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

I wanted to celebrate my 70th birthday by taking my wife and my daughter and her partner for a short trip to Amsterdam for a visit to the Resistance Museum, the Hollandsche Schouwburg and a meal at "Heavenly Mud" (also highly recommended) with old Dutch friends. I wanted the hotel experience to be relaxed, happily sophisticated and memorable, near a reasonable tram line, on a canal and quiet.
I researched dozens - many dozens - of downtown Amsterdam Hotels on the internet, and again and again I found myself coming back to The Toren with its support of apparently sincere and appreciative visitors.
Once I'd taken the plunge and telephoned for a booking, the relaxed and friendly reception was the first in a series of good experiences. The choice was one of the best I've ever made. My party all shared my happiness with this hotel and I very much hope to be able to return for a longer stay in the future.
I unreservedly recommend The Toren, thank the designers who fabricated and sustain its unique environment, selected the quality of furnishings, and also the charming and helpful staff who match the delightful ambience with their generosity.
And its really not at all expensive, compared with so many others, and more than worth what it charges.

• Liked — The quality of the furnishings, the supremely comfortable and enormous bed, the quality of the bedding
  • Disliked — That we could afford only to stay one night :)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

I booked this hotel because it had quite high ratings on Tripadvisor. The booking .com offered it at 90€ /night which is very cheap for hiring a room in the center of Amsterdam in the middle of the shopping season.

We are very happy that we opted for this hotel. The staff is VERY friendly and helpfull.

The bar is an oasis of style.

Breakfast is great (lots of choice)

Room is not large, but very well decorated.

What we really appreciated, is that we got a full set of Nespresso in our room. Very nice

• Liked — in the middle of Amsterdam next to a canal !
  • Disliked — I can't find any negative points...it really was perfect
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Just back from a 4 night stay at the Toren to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I absolutely loved the Toren. The bar/breakfast room is stunning. The staff are the friendliest I have ever encountered in all my travels, so helpful and welcoming. The rooms are a little scuffed around the edges but decorated beautifully, a lovely big bed with lots of cushions, a modern bathroom, a flat screen TV, a coffee maker and a mini bar. The decor was definately to my taste lots of romantic touches and fabulous christmas decorations. The breakfast was simply perfect, a huge selection, fruit salad cheeses meats hot food smoked salmon cereals juices yoghurts etc plus anything else you could wish for prepared by the chef. I would never stay anywhere else in Amsterdam, this is by far my absolute favourite hotel. It is also very convenient about a 10min walk to the Dam. My only negative comment would be the small rooms (ours was a deluxe and still very cramped) but this is typical for Amsterdam and was more than made up for by everything else.

• Liked — The Staff and the decor
  • Disliked — The small sized rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Toren? Share your experiences!