“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Heidelberg, Germany
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Excellent hotel in center Amsterdam. Extremelly attentious front desk staff - provided us with a map + explanation of main points of the city, as well as with a list of restaurants around the area (the ones we tried were very good). Rooms are nicely decorated, with free Nespresso. One added bonus was the fact that bathroom goodies were by rituals. We stayed in the adjourning building, a few steps down from the main one. The stairs were a little steep, but I guess that is the rule in amsterdam. In all, we were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

1,325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

A cozy, boutique hotel right in the center of Amsterdam's most charming area. Take long walks along the canals and admire rows and rows of beautiful historic townhouses. The Toren is a great place to spend a romantic weekend or even the entire honeymoon. Excellent breakfast, superb customer service. Dark colors were chosen for the luxurious decor (burgundy and black mostly) so it may feel a bit overwhelming to those accustomed to bright, open spaces. Do splurge on a Suite or a Superior Room with canal view if budget allows. Or a Garden Suite for more privacy. Lots of quiet cafes and wonderful restaurants nearby. Highly recommend the casual fish restaurant Lucius (oysters!) and gourmet De Luwte with a perfectly romantic ambience, great meal choices, and a nice wine selection.

Room Tip: Do NOT. I repeat, do NOT choose room 424 even if it's the last one available and you're desp...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg, Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We chose The Toren to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday in Amsterdam. Which divine spark gave us this intuition?!

Our room-choice was the executive garden suite, it revealed itself FAR beyond all our expectations, and these were high. A little pavillon divided up in 3 areas: the living-room (closeable with a sliding door), the spacious sleeping room connected to the high-tec bathroom, separatable by a thick curtain. The bathroom itself comes with a large closed green double eucalyptus-steambath, sitttings and superb rain-shower, a huge double jacuzzi, illuminated inside (with chosable colours and massage-techniques), two sinks with an avant-garde water-tap, like a fountain. Everything, from the temperature, to the light system etc. is adjustable with remote controls, which can be tricky from time to time, but a simple call to the reception and a service member shows up, before you hung up. The interior shows such a formidable creativity, splendor, finesse and love for details. The door to the outside opens to your own roofed terrace in a lovely garden, very practical for smokers.

Please have a look at the hotels website, the photos give you only a small impression, the reality as far more overwhelming, trust me. When we entered our suite, we could not believe our eyes and decided spontaneously to spend more time at the hotel, than in the city itself ( a shame, I know). Due to our north-western climate in february, not only ourselves made that choice, I suppose.
The garden must be pleasant in summer, we saw comfortable sitting areas all over.

One of the many glorys about The Toren is their obviously amazing taste and style regarding the fine materials and cloth, the quality of it, the thrilling colours, the genuine fine and precious linnen of the beds, the matrasses, pillows of different softness. For the very first time of my life, I would immediately swap my home-bed with the one of the hotel, including the duvet, that reposed on me like a feather. Best bed ever! When it comes to lights: all of it, even in the jacuzzi and the shower: it can be dimmed and changed in colours to create your own desired atmosphere, from bright day light to romantic and sensual ambiance - The Toren has definitely been made for lovers.

Guests are spoiled with sumptuous bath items of the well known brand "rituals", even fixed to the wall of the rain-shower and the sinks and replaced every day. It is simply not necessary to bring your own washrag. There is a multitude of smooth towels, 2 soft bathrobes with slippers. After a relaxing massage in the huge jacuzzi, wrapped in your bathrobe, you might just drop on your delightful bed and leave Amsterdam to itself. If so - you can order food from a restaurant outside, that is brought to your room and later taken away one second after your called the reception. Every room is equipped with a Nespresso machine with an abundance of coffee-choices, all for free. It is virtually impossible to desire more from an hotel room, all you would want is topped. Needless to say, that The Toren is spotlessly clean, the housemaids do a great job too.

Here comes the breathtaking bar - a true jewel, where we celebrated my husbands birthday. The most cordial and generous owners of the hotel had offered a bottle of Moët et Chandon, a prestigious french champagne for this occasion. It came with strawberries and pralines. We could not have selected a more stunning location than the hotels bar. Dramatic and theatric, yet intimate and welcoming, just opposite to a smoking lounge (even this profanity is decorated gracefully). The bar is dimmed with lights of all sorts and colours, the sparkling monumental chandelier reflected in our crystal glasses and enchanted eyes...the souvenir of this evening will forever remain amongst our most dearest. And: Thank you Kevin, for pampering us so sweetly that evening.

The bar changes into an inviting and oh-so cozy breakfast room in the morning, looking out on the gracht. I was grateful for the subdued light as I do not wish to spend hours in front of the mirror before presenting myself publically. The dinnerware and the napkins enchanted our eyes, the food left no wishes open, you could order stronger espresso or cappucino, toast and whatever was not exposed and the croissants seemed to come directly from France. The dresscode is fortunately very laid back and the breakfast time ( 07.-11:00) not taken too strictly, a guest-friendly philosophy.

The prices for the mini-bar, the drinks in the bar and the snacks (very tasty) in The Toren are very social, all can be served in your room, as well as the food from outside without supplement. Another noteable amiable fact.

The utterly most remarkable fact about The Toren is the efficiency, competency and patience of the service. Every member of the staff is incredibly helpful, nice, always smiling, but not in a fake polite way, it comes from the heart. You perceive, that they are a good team together, united in the strong wish to contribute to your wellness. You are never left alone, all is set in motion to lend you a hand a show you a way. I have stayed in many fancy hotels, but never experienced this natural kindness. This counts as well for the very friendly manager and above all for the owners, who send us a home-welcoming mail to Luxembourg in warm and kind words. May every single one of them have a happy and joyful life.

The hotel The Toren chants a charming melody that you cannot elude youself from. If you ever plan to visit that great city with its friendly population, don't go searching for another hotel. Please choose The Toren and do yourself a favour, that you will never ever forget.

Both of us are looking forward to our next stay in spring in this Shangri-La.
Dear Toren family: please adopt me, so that I can live forever in your hotel :-)
The Toren: our favourite hotel in the universe. (Why has this heavenly place 4 stars, while others, far more anonymous, monotone, boring and dull get 5?)

Thanks to everyone for this unforgettable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to the garden are more quiet, whilst romms to the canal offer a better view. Rooms on the las...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I had a lovely stay and literally have 0 complaints, which if you know me is hard!

I thank the staff of The Toren for making my stay for two nights alone as homey and welcoming as possible. I already feel like part of a family and will most definitely choose this hotel for the future, and recommend it to my friends :)

Room Tip: Higher rooms give you a lovely view of the neighbours barn with animals such s cats, rabbits, and gu...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel made my trip to Amsterdam completely unforgettable. All the staff are extremely helpful, no request is to big or small. We were welcomed on reception by a gentlemen called Henry who was jestful, friendly and helpful. The decor in the hotel is first class. The toren truely made a mini break into a holiday. The best hotel I have ever stayed in. I'm not usually one to write reviews but the staff at the toren deserve every bit of praise they get. Jenny room 401 23.2.14 x

• Stayed February 2014
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have never written a review in my life but this hotel was so spectacular that I've jus open a account on trip adviser jus to do so
I felt like a VIP celebrity The staff go out there way to make everything perfect There very friendly and polite and Henry is a joker The room (401) was amazing The 3D wallpaper, the curtains, the so soft bed, the rain shower, the double jacuzzi and all the little luxury extras plus the champagne strawberries and chocolate was a brilliant surprise birthday gift
The only problem is having to leave It was so hard I woke up at home this morning wishing I was still there
Thank you The Toren for this unforgettable experience It was amazing in every way and I will be back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Just returned from a lovely stay in The Toren, from previous reviews my expectations were high and I was not disappointed. Great service from the moment we stepped in, champagne, strawberries and chocolates in my room too as my partner had informed them it was my birthday!
Fantastic location, can walk everywhere.
The rooms are opulent and very well kept, we stayed in the annex building which was fantastic, we paid for a canal view and a hot tub in the room which was great after long days of walking around this fantastic city!!
Would recommend this hotel to anyone, so go ahead and book!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Toren? Share your experiences!