After being double-booked at the Hotel Estherea and feeling completely let down by them, my partner and I were relocated by the Estherea to The Toren - described as 'a similar hotel, just 'round the corner with the same rates' etc. We were sceptical and felt fobbed off but arriving on a Saturday evening we knew our options would be thin on the ground and we went with it through no choice.
Arriving at The Toren, our initial thoughts were it looked a bit 'boudoir boutique' and seemed to lack the 'grandeur' of the Estherea. We were then shown to our room within the Annexe - the styling wasn't really to my taste but again, we didn't choose it. This was also our first time in Amsterdam and we just wanted to get out and have a look around while trying to forget our initial greeting to the city.
Leaving our room, we approached the reception staff to share our frustrations with them after our double-booking disaster and landing in somewhere not of our choosing. They were genuinely friendly, attentive and seemed really concerned about what happened. They couldn't do enough for us and even swapped our room to a larger one with a lovely view of the canal on our second night with no extra charge. They didn't have to do that and this made all the difference for us. We were even offered to return to the Estherea on the second night of our stay. We actually declined and decided to stay with The Toren based on the professionalism and friendly manner of their staff, who I have to say, our the best I've ever had to deal with at any hotel I've stayed in.
The location is also great (just round the corner from Anne Frank's house). In the morning their breakfasts are excellent with a great choice of continental and a more familiar British option. In the evening their bar staff are brilliant and make wonderful cocktails and Irish Coffees within a lovely and relaxed lounge and intimate bar salon area.
So, even if our arrival was a bit of a disaster thanks to the Hotel Estherea our departure was a happy but sad one when we left The Toren. We we're made to feel very welcome and in great company, and even if it wasn't our first choice for our first visit to Amsterdam, it will most definitely be our first on our return!
- Also Known As:
- The Toren - Hampshire Classic Hotel Amsterdam
- The Toren - Hampshire Classic Hotel
- Toren Hotel Amsterdam
- Toren Amsterdam
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Treat yourself to an unforgettable experience. Whoever wants to be treated to a unique and memorable stay in Amsterdam should stay at The Toren. The hotel's elegantly designed interior and warm welcome, combined with the beautiful surroundings of Amsterdam's central canal area create a special atmosphere and a safe haven for you to completely relax. The hotel has been designed with your pleasure in mind! Worldwide tourists and business travelers familiar with the hotel will discover it afresh. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Venere, TripOnline SA, HotelsNL, EasyToBook, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The Toren reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.