“Great budget place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
leicester
“Great budget place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

We stayed here in Nov 2009 and although the colour schemes are a little bold, we found this place very good value for money and a good all round hotel. The 3 person room we stayed in was a decent size, clean, and well maintained. The only potential issue was the rather small corner window, which did almost nothing to light up the room (althogh this was acceptable and I belive ours was the only room with the unique window, due to it's postiion on the building corner). We didnt try the breakfast, but it seamed very nice (and expensive at EURO 16.50). I would happily return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

1,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I booked this hotel through Orbitz and got a great deal. While the room I stayed in was a little small, I was thoroughly pleased and very satisfied with my stay at the Mercure. The rooms (as others have mentioned) were clean, and the linens were relatively new. I thought the bed was very comfortable as well. The location is pretty convenient to wherever you want to go in Amsterdam, and I felt very safe in this neighborhood. Don't expect 5-star accommodations here, but if you want a decent hotel that will make your stay enjoyable, I would definitely consider this location. Next time I go to Amsterdam, I will certainly look to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

This hotel has been a favourite of a friend and mine since 2002.The manager and staff go out of their way to help. The rooms are comfortable,always clean, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The staff in the breakfast room work very hard and are very courteous.The receptionists are friendly and any problem is quickly resolved. The main barman is a mine of information and knows his trade very well. The location of the hotel is in an excellent area and near to trams.

This is a hotel not to miss in a city which we love.

David and John, London.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

This hotel is really well situated, close to Heineken Experience, museums and a few nice restaurants, as well as being an easy walk from the centre of amsterdam.
The whole hotel was nicely decorated and our room was small but very comfortable and clean. The staff were very polite and helpful but we had little reason to ask them for anything.
Our only problem was that the room was always too hot for us and the AC didn't seem very effective. Also, the deal we'd booked didn't include breakfast but they were going to charge us a whopping 33euros for breakfast for two people everyday. Luckily they didn't quibble when I said we hadn't had any breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

We enjoyed our short break in Amsterdam staying in this hotel. It was in a convenient location handy for the trams and canals and yet in a quiet back street. The staff were very friendly and we got a great discount booking on the internet - I don't think we would have afforded it otherwise. Very clean and comfortable with air con (only when it's steamy outside). Staff recommended a reasonably priced eatery on a nearby corner and they were spot on.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

I have previoulsy stayed at this same hotel before with 2 friends and our triple room was fine. Good decor, good beds... this time, I came back for a double room and had a somehow negative surprise: room was much smaller, with a much poorer decor... and very very very noisy - every single morning, we were woken up by the continuous noise of doors, cleaning... really unpleasant.
We did get an early checkin, which was great, but the staff was not pleasant with us at all - made crystal clear to us they were doing us a big favor. And that continued during the whole stay.
Lobby was recently renewed and looks much better - but not a very good taste, I would say.
The room was small, but fair - good equipment, good bed. Bathroom was small as you expect in Europe -and had the basics. Just an important note to women: they do have a hair dryer but it's crap. So if you need a dryer, better take yours, because that things if just for them to put at their website they have a hair dryer.
They do have ONE single PC you can use with internet access - but many sites are bloked. And I mean regular sites - I couldnt access my email because the site was blocked (it's my company's public website), and I guarantee there's nothing pron or not appropriate there. Staff just told me there was nothing they could do. At the end, I could at least print my boarding pass there, at least...
Price was not cheap, so it's definetly not a good cost benefit relatoinship.
The only excellent thing is location - between the center and the museum district, near cannals... really nice location.
At the end, the experience showed us that the management and staff really do not care about guests' experience - all those details that show they care lack, at all levels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Hotel is near Heineken Experience, restaurants, coffee houses and more. Hotel was clean, front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Room was small based on US standards but adequate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mercure Amsterdam Arthur Frommer? Share your experiences!