“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed 3 nights. Great location in terms of cafes and restaurants. Breakfast was good. Fresh orange juice was great. The tea & coffee set in the room is very handy. Free newspaper was a surprise.

The room (privilege) is spacious and ceiling is very high. Although it's on the ground level literally, so no windows can be open. It's a pity.... Also all the noises from the street (garbage truck) are a little nuisance. Carpet needs some serious wash or a change.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MercureArthurFrommer, General Manager at Mercure Amsterdam Arthur Frommer, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.
Your remarks will help us to improve our service in the future !

1,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife has stayed here before and really rates it .My complaint ,we were given a room on the third floor which was really only suitable for an average size adult and a very small child Im told all rooms on this floor have the slope of the roof which dramatically decreases the head height You soon get used to it when you bang your head half a dozen times
Other than that it's Ok Staff excellent Make sure your taxi fare to the airport is 45euros

Room Tip: Room on any floor except the third you have been warned
Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Edward,

Thank you for your comments and remarks.
They will help us to improve our service !

Berlin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have booked the hotel because the explanation of the room mentioned that my room will have a terrace or balcony. That was not the case. Instead I've got a room with a big scary picture behind the bed. Interior was ok, but nothing special. The TV was too small compared to the distance to the bed. The bathroom was small, under water after a shower (no, not because I don't know how to use it), but enough for its purpose. I had a "Mercure Preferred" writing at my door, If this room was for "preferred" guests, I wonder how the normal rooms have looked like.

The staff was ok, but far away from being friendly. Additionally there was a lack in organisation. I stayed for 2 days and wanted to park my car at the hotel (45€ a day compared to 25€ a day at the car park). I parked my car and on the second day I needed to go to a different town. When I came back the car park was occuied because the hotel staff booked only 1 day parking instead of 2 (which obviously made no sense during a 2 day visit).

The location itself was good, close to Rembrandtspleein and therefor is a good starting point.

I liked especially that Mercure has now signed me up for their partner program which I have never requested.
And additionally: How is it possible that this hotel has got an Tripadvisor Excellence 2013 sticker at their door, 2013 is not over yet?

3 stars for the hotel, as it was nothing special, -1 for the lack of organisation with my car and the wrong information about the terrace / balcony in the hotels description..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Matthias,

Thank you for your comments. They will help us to improve the service in the future. We will start a search to find out where is mentioned that our rooms have terraces or balconies. We offer our apologies about the misunderstanding with the car-park.

Sincerely Yours,
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Spent 3 nights when i was on amsterdam at the end october 2013 for business.
I have miss direction to find this hotel at the first.
The lobby located upstair, so its hard to pick my luggage.
The elevator only one & very small.
The bedroom is nice & clean....also the bathroom.
Overall....is so..so..;)

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Duddy,

Thank you for taking your time and efforts to inform us about your findings.
They are useful to us to improve our services !

Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 2/11-4/11 and were delighted that we had chosen the Arthur Frommer. From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. We normally stay in a very large hotel just off the Damrak but decided to go somewhere quieter and less expensive. We are so glad we did! Not only was breakfast included in our rate but we saved around half of what we have spent previously. The rooms are a good size and the wet rooms are clean and well stocked. The towels are small and t hin but they do the job! Breakfast was exceptional, so much to choose from and all very fresh. The tea assortment was glorious. We will definitely go back there when we return to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We had a Privilege room on the first floor which was spacious, quiet and light.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureArthurFrommer, General Manager at Mercure Amsterdam Arthur Frommer, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We were pleased to read your comments about our hotel and our services ! Thank you for your positive review !

With kind regards, Francis A. Windt
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is located between two quiet little side streets south of the Herengracht close to the Rijks Museum. It is well located for walking around the city. Our room was on the third floor with a pleasant view of one of the little side streets. The bed was comfortable, the room warm and the room and en suite clean. My partner also asks me to mention that the tea and coffee making facilities were exemplary. The price was very reasonable given the accommodation. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review ! We are happy you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and in Amsterdam !

Kind regards, Francis A. Windt
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Firstly, I'd like to comment on the friendliness and helpfulness of all of the reception staff, they were all truly professional, well mannered and extremely helpful and always had advice for us regarding transports, bike rentals and restaurant recommendations.
The bar area was nice and we ate here on the first night as we had checked in late - the food is served until midnight which is quite helpful.
Brekfast is OK. Continental options are great but cooked is limited to egg and bacon or sausage and it was usually quite cold. There are a nice selection of breads and pastries, fruits and cereals however. The tea selection is quite strange - I was disappointed not to find any green tea but I will remember to take my own in future! (there was mint-green tea which was too strong for my liking!)
Rooms were fine but we had a problem with the TV, we reported this to a male member of staff who seemed in a frenzie - he walked away and said "I will see to it later!" and didn't bother. So we did not get to watch TV at all during our 3 night stay.
Beds are really comfortable and maid service is good. I was disappointed that there were no fitness facilities but the bike rental facilities are good.
Overall despite the small TV issue I would definitely stay here again. It is in the nicest part of Amsterdam and is close enough (to walk) to the main attractions but is still in a quiet, safe and very clean area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureArthurFrommer, General Manager at Mercure Amsterdam Arthur Frommer, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Rachella,

Thank you for your postive remarks on our hotel and our staff.
We will have a close look at what happened with your television and thank you for informing us !

Mercure Amsterdam Arthur Frommer

Been to Mercure Amsterdam Arthur Frommer? Share your experiences!