“Very good location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Carlton Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added NH Carlton Amsterdam to your Saves list
NH Carlton Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 4, 1017 HK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #198 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Copenhagen
“Very good location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We originally booked a room at NH Schiller. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that they had moved us to another hotel, but we had not recieved any info about this! We were moved to NH Carlton and got an upgrade for our trouble ;-) The staff was very welcoming and the service was great. The room was a nice size, but it really needed a renovation. The marble was cracked almost everywhere, and the table were pieced together with tape ;-) The location was very good!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1,127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June. When I checked out I thought that I had received good value for the money I paid but afterwards the hotel added charges to my Visa card. Be warned that the management of this hotel cannot be trusted. They have your credit card info and may add bogus charges. I booked and paid for my stay with Priceline and when checking out the hotel wanted to charge me a city tax. I explained that all taxes are paid by Priceline and after 15 minutes I spoke to someone who identified themselves as the manager. They apologized and said there would be no added charge and so I was disappointed to have the tax appear on my next Visa bill. After speaking with Priceline I got an email from them stating that the hotel "comfirmed that I had been charged in error" and a refund would be forthcoming. It never came and the hotel later explained to Priceline that the charge was not a city tax but some other made up charge. This is a regular scam by this hotel. I stayed at 2 other hotels in Amsterdam this year using Priceline and never had any extra charges added. Be very wary about staying at this hotel and check your bill carefully.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
La Plata, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

It is located to walk distance of everything.
Rooms could be bigger, but they are well equipped.
The best of the hotel is the breakfast.
Should I be in Ams again, I would return, although I am disappointed with the "Free" internet access: the "free" service is for a VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF DATA. After few minutes of browsing the web, you have to buy a 10 Euros a day service to continue.

Room Tip: Noisy air conditioning. We have to turned off in order to get sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kocaeli
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed three nights at NH Carlton Amsterdam.
First of all I would like to express that location of the hotel is excellent. It is at walking distance to every places to be visited during Amsterdam visit.
Secondly, the food was delicious. Variety of alternatives during breakfast was impressive. However, the rooms need to be renovated. Carpets, curtains are very old. Small tv (37 cm screen) is from previous century.
Receptionists were very friendly and solution oriented.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Kent, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I got this hotel as part of a "secret hotel" on lastminute.com. I must admit that I was apprehensive about staying here after reading most of the more negative reviews, however, these could not be more wrong.

It took us about 20-25minutes to walk from central station to the hotel and we arrived an hour early but the check in staff were able to accommodate us early for no extra charge. We had a twin room and it was huge and the beds were comfy. The room had 2 chairs with a small side table, plus a desk, mini bar and tea and coffee facilities. The TV was an old style set and not flat screen which doesn't really make a difference as a TV is a TV at the end of the day. The bathroom was clean, had a bath with overhead shower and 2 sinks and a toilet. The water pressure in the shower leaves a lot to be desired though. We heard a little street noise on the Saturday night, but not enough noise to really disturb your nights sleep as the windows kept most of the noise out when kept closed. I do think the hotel is more 3* than the 4* they claim it to be.

We had breakfast each morning we were there and because we pre-booked the day before it only cost 15euros. The selection was amazing, a small cooked section (i.e. sausage, bacon, tomatoes and eggs), a continental meat and cheese section, a juice and fruit station, cereals and a very large selection of pastries!! yum!

Everything is in walking distance as it takes 20-30mins to walk to the van gogh museum / anne frank house / central station (of course these are all in opposite directions!)

Just around the corner is a Marks and Spencer food hall which we bought snacks and water from.

Overall we had a great experience at this hotel and would recommend it to all those looking to stay in a great central location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The NH Carlton in Amsterdam is very well located, right next to the flower market and two minutes from Rembrandtplein. The Breakfast at the hotel is also very good and rich, the staff were friendly and courteous, but the hotel's qualities end there. The rooms I saw (mine and my colleagues) are shabby, smell of cigarette smoke (even though they are non smoking rooms) and in urgent need of refurbishment. In my room the chairs were worn, the TV reception was snowy, and the wallpaper peeling. The "view" was a grubby internal courtyard.

Overall I think you can do much better for a hotel choice in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Found out about priceline on TA and got decent price, well situated hotel. Only complaint is room a bit small, no fridge. But kettle provided, good bed, good shower. No eating in hotel so can't comment but overall pretty happy with room at back (as requested), not luxury but quite adequate.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to NH Carlton Amsterdam? Share your experiences!