“Brilliant stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Carlton Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added NH Carlton Amsterdam to your Saves list
NH Carlton Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijzelstraat 4 | City Center, Rembrandtplein, Binnenstad, 1017 HK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #205 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Brilliant stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is brilliant the location, service, value and cleanliness is excellent! My cousin and I went to stay in Amsterdam mainly for a good time to experience the coffee shops and bars! The NH Carlton offered us a smoking room and the location was perfect for what we needed! The location of the hotel is bang in the middle 10 minutes max to Dam square 15 to red light district! A cinema opposite the hotel! We couldn't check in until 3 as our room was not ready although we put our luggage in the safe room! Staff were also very friendly! We did not try the food or breakfast. Due to the location of the hotel mornings may possible be noisey when the windows are open but It was to be expected in the city! We are thinking of travelling to Amsterdam again and will stay at the NH Carlton

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Greek first
Hellerup, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Stayed here for a single night in late June. I must agree with my fellow reviewers and admint, that the location is very central, but the street noise might be annoying if your room doesn't face the rear of the hotel.
Rooms and bathrooms could use some refurbishment. The furniture and carpets were not quite up to date and the bathooom was small and hasn't been updated for some years. That said, the cleaning standard was good - one of the better which I have experienced.
The biggest issue was the A/C, which despite running on full speed, didn't contribute much to lowering the room temperature. Luckilly, as my room faced the rear of the hotel (closed courtyard) I could turn off the A/C and sleep with my window open. Another issue was a quite low water pressure in the shower. Calculate with some extra minutes for washing shampoo out of your hair.

Breakfast was what you might expect from this hotel standard in Netherlands. OK, without being extraordinary. Costing 20€, you might be better off finding a nearby café.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

The location of this hotel was fabulous! The room was in a great location, big terrace and great view but....It was SO NOISY outside around 2:30 or 3:00 every morning when the local bars got out. We could have closed the windows and when we did it was very quiet but our no-smoking room had a pretty bad smoky AC smell and the AC never really worked so we just lived with it. The people in the hotel were very healpful and friendly and we liked the room so much, we just lived with it all. The cafe on first floor was a great place to sit outside and watch the flower market over a coffee or glass of wine,

Room Tip: Get a room on the side or back - ask for quiet, they will help!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel is in a great location by the canals with lots of shops and restaurants close by and the flower market is right on the corner. The rooms are run down and small although the bed was comfortable and the sheets very clean and nice. The bathrooms are tiny and difficult for 1 person let alone 2.

Check in was exceedingly difficult because we'd booked online through a booking website. It took three front desk staff to figure it out while I waited 30 minutes for them to do so. And I had handed them the email confirmation when I got to the desk. Check out was similarly confused.

Breakfast for 15 Euros (if you sign up beforehand at the desk; 20 Euros if you just go in for breakfast) is not worth it. The breakfast room is nice, but the buffet is meager by Dutch standards. With so many cafes around, no reason to stay at the hotel.

The hotel was extremely helpful in arranging a meeting room for us at the last minute -- the room was arranged exactly as requested and we were able to order lunch for our small group via room service. I was quite impressed with this service.

All in all, I would not choose to stay here again but would keep it as an option should other places not be available. The location is hard to beat. Just make sure to take your paperwork with you if you book online. Probably better to book through them directly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Amman, Jordan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The location of NH Carlton Amsterdam is to deam for: 15 minutes walk to Central Station, 5 minutes walk to Rembrandtplein, 10 minutes walk to Dam Square,15 minutes walk to museums' area, 10 minutes walk to Ice Bar...
And above all is near the splendid Flower market; it is a pleasure to walk daily by it.
Unfortunately the lady at the reception couldn't find our reservation( made one and half month ago); it took us a lot of arguing and we had to open the mail to show her the reservation: finally she found it!!!!!!!!
We got a room on the second floor overlooking the airconditioning and the bthroom was ancient; a sink on a wooden chair and the cold water tap was leaking.
We got another room on the 5th floor with street view and a better bathroom.
The hotel's site states:"The hotel is established in a monumental premises that was built in 1928, to serve as a hotel during the Olympic Games in Amsterdam. In 1985 it was bought by an Italian hotel chain and thoroughly rebuilt for two years, to restore it in its full splendour. They used the most exquisite and modern materials, which is shown by the stunning result. The hotel breaths a typical Italian atmosphere of elegance and refinement."
Unfortunately the rooms look very old, carpets have dirt spots ; the furniture looks secondhand; you have the impression it was purchesed from a garage sale.
We got a room with twinbeds and the matress was sliding on one side.
The cleaning staff is doing a great job but the rooms are too old and worn.
There are free tea and coffee making facilities.
The lobby is nice and Caruso restaurant looks exquisite: the breakfast is abundant and the table linen are elegant and sparkling.
You have to pay for internet and it is very slow.
I think that a good management would restore the rooms and give back the hotel its past glory.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at the NH Carlton for 3 nights early June - this was our third visit to Amsterdam - and we booked the hotel as a secret deal on travelocity, for circa £200 each for the three nights. Amsterdam is obviously a very expensive city and you don't get much for your money accommodation-wise.... I always spend ages reviewing hotels/ apartments; the key thing for me is to ensure the best value for money. I had worked out from the description that it was either going to be the NH Carlton or the Caransa, and was pleased it turned out to be the Carlton as the reviews of the two hotels seemed to show the Carlton as the quieter of the two.

We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who checked us in quickly and luckily, just before a huge group arrived for check-in. The lobby is as expected, quite grand in an old-skool hotel sort of way, big chandelier etc...... we went to our room to find that, for the first time ever, we had been upgraded and were in a "suite" which had a separate kitchenette area, walk-in cupboard with electronic safe, and usual bathroom with complimentary shampoo etc - the shower is great and thanfully, the shower curtain wasn't overly-affectionate (I hate them! Cringe!). The beds were very comfortable (although as usual in Europe, two singles pushed together), the pillows however were the weirdest I've ever experienced - they were a bit like sleeping on an airbag as they didn't seem to flatten when you put your head on them!! We discovered on leaving that apparently the hotel have four types of pillows to choose from - shame we didn't notice this before as it would have made our respective sleeps that much more comfortable.

This hotel is all about the location - you really are as central as you could ever hope to be, right next to the Flower Market. 15 minutes walk to Central Station, 5 minutes to the canals, 5 minutes to Rembrandplein and 15 minutes to Leidseplein/Museums. Plenty of trams as well although we didn't use them once this time round. Unfortunately, being so central has it's disadvantages in that we were disturbed throughout the night with revellers on their way out of town, groups coming back to the hotel, people leaving the cinema across the road, rubbish/delivery trucks in the morning etc etc.

In terms of other costs, we were offered breakfast at €15 per person which is frankly extortionate - there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby where you can get pancakes or english breakfasts with coffee for under €9 per person. Similarly, wi-fi is available in the lobby of the hotel at €9 per day. You also do need to pay the city tax on departure, which was circa €20 for the three nights There is a big bowl of sweets in reception which are free though!

All in all, I would say that this hotel is all about location but you've got to weigh up what that means for you. The hotel is definitely in need of updating, the carpets and curtains look dated and there's that lingering old hotel smell..... so I wouldn't say it's a 4* by today's standards. I feel we got good value for money having received the upgrade, however I'm afraid I don't think I would return as I would probably go for somewhere a bit quieter next time, or pay slightly more to stay somwhere a bit more current. And I would get my pillow changed!

Room Tip: Room not facing the street, or above delivery bay!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011 via mobile

I recently stayed here while on a busines trip. The room was clean and airy, the bed was comfortable and from the 5th floor I had a good view.

Check-in was an easy and pleasant experience. Breakfast was good with a wide variety of choice. Situated fairly well although quite a walk into the main centre (this does however, keep you away from the drunken stag parties and their noise, so not necessarily a negative).

I would happily return for a leisure trip.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to NH Carlton Amsterdam? Share your experiences!