“Very nice hotel with spacious rooms. Location is out of town in a quite area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Amsterdam

You added Hilton Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hilton Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apollolaan 138, 1077 BG Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Summer Sale - Save 25%
Ranked #53 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kapolei, Hawaii
“Very nice hotel with spacious rooms. Location is out of town in a quite area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

This was our first hotel in Europe for our honeymoon. We booked it on price-line for a good price through the "name your price" thing. The front desk was very helpful and accommodating. The room was just perfect, faced the canal with large windows. The bed was big and everything was well placed and felt fairly new. The bathroom was plenty big and the wife loved the deep bathtub. There was a nice area to work on the laptop or just sit and gaze into the skyline of Holland. The location is very nice. It is only about a 5-8 minute walk to the Metro stop which runs every 10-15 mins. It is a quick ride into town. We did not find much in walking distance but a small and VERY local grocery store call DH. It is a great little shop to pick up some necessities but be ready to speak dutch and bring your own shopping bags. You can walk to the museupliem in about 30 minutes. We did not attempt to walk all the way to the centre but it would take a few hours I would assume. But what was nice is after a long day in the city you can retreat to this wonderful hotel away from the busy street and honking cars. We are young, club goer type but really enjoyed coming home to the peacefulness of the Hilton. Another thing to note the price of anything you buy from them. Buy your Metro tickets at the train station not the hotel. It is 7 Euro for a bottle of beer and 5 for a soda so beware of the over priced refreshments. The breakfast in the morning is FABULOUS!!! Just wonderful, go every day you are there. Worth at least 25-35 Euro a person. The service is second to none. I would pay top dollar for a breakfast like that even when not on vacation. We could not believe that it was complimentary. The doormen were always helpful and took extra care to ensure we had a great time. Over all we loved it and would stay there again. It was expensive but it was worth it considering what you get compared to other same priced hotels in the city.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I had to stay in Amsterdam for a meeting in the South-Axis business area. I had very busy and stressful week and I wasn't looking forward to my trip. That changed when I checked-in. The staff was taking care of everything, doors, bags, fast check-in, drink... Just what I needed. After a short rest I went down for a drink in the bar and altought I was alone I didn't get bored. The bar overlooks their terras, a small harbour and the canal.
First I wasn't happy about the location (just out side city center), but actually it was perfect. No noise and within 10 min walk in city center.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

I had booked this Hilton hotel before reading the
comments on this website. It was with great trepidation
that we arrived at this hotel in Amsterdam. However,
to our delight and in our experience this hotel was NOT
as some others have indicated. We were met by a
warm, friendly and caring staff. Our room was clean,
comfortable, bright and spacious with a view of the
canal outside the hotel. The breakfast included in our
room rate was great. Yes, this hotel is a little out of
the downtown core however my wife and I preferred
being in a quieter residential neighbourhood and found
the public transport (only a few blocks walk from the hotel)
fast and efficient in getting us to and from town. The
concierge staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and
helpful. Our checkout was fast and efficient. When we
are in Amsterdam again we will stay at the Hilton Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed here last night and it was a good experience. I chose it because it was convenient for work. If I was a tourist, I would stay more centrally.
Cheerful, attentive service.
Nice room with canal view.
Although May, the weather was dreary, so I couldn't enjoy the lovely canalside terrace but can well imagine it would be perfect for an evening drink and dinner in warmer months.
Instead, the roaring fire in the bar was very cosy and welcome.
Taxis in Amsterdam are expensive so if you stay here longer than the one night I stayed, I recommend you get to grips with public transport!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I had booked the hotel some months previously using LastMinute.com's 'secret hotels' facility and thought I had got a good bargain at just over £100 per night.However,I was slightly nervous when I read the more recent reviews about the overbooking problems others had experienced.We had no such problem and certainly when we arrived on a Sunday afternoon the hotel seemed very quiet --I think we may have been lucky that there werent any major conferences going on at the time.
I thought the service throughout the hotel was excellent and at 19 euros the breakfast was good value.Drinks and snacks are expensive but thats the nature of that type of hotel.We found some nice cafes/restaurants in the area behind the hotel and across the canal.Its well serviced by 3 different tram lines and after we purchased a 3 day travel pass it made travelling so much easier and convenient.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Leuven, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

It was an okay hotel, but a bit out of the city center, and did not have much of a feel of 'charm' to it. Would have preferred to stay in the city center itself. I recommend that you ask for a canal-side (even-numbered) room at check-in, however, if you don't already have one - that helps, rather than the drab southern facing (odd-numbered) rooms. The distance requires taking the trams, which happily are not that difficult if you're only out until they shut down at midnight. Ask for a 7 euro 24 hour pass.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

A group of us availed of a 'Last Minute' deal to stay at his hotel. The deal included a 2 night stay in 2 x double rooms and 1 x King family room. On arriving at the hotel we were advised that the hotel was overbooked and that we were being transfered to the Holiday Inn at the Airport. The receptionist was unsympathetic and unapologetic about this change despite the fact that we had booked our room almost 3 months previous to our arrival. The receptionist tried to pursued us that the airport was close to the city centre!
She seemed surprised at our refusal to be transfered to an inferior classed hotel located 20 minutes outside of the city centre! we asked to speak to the duty manager who confirmed that the hotel had been overbooked that morning by conference delegates . When I asked her if the hotel had sold our reserved rooms to the higher paying confernce delegates she did not deny this suggestion. To cut a long story short, we refused to move as they were unable to offer us rooms in a 5* hotel in the centre of Amsterdam.

The hotel manager managed to 'find' us rooms in the overbooked hotel. we were further disappointed however at the accomodation provide for the King family room which we had booked for 3 people. The room consisted of 1 double bed and one roll out bed for the 3rd person. The room was cramped for 3 adults and definitely not what we expected of a 5* hotel. When we raised our concerns with the duty manager he stated that it was Hiltons policy to accomodate 3 adults staying in a family room with a roll out bed. He very arrogantly asked me 'if I would like the hotel to refurbish the room for us'? He also stated that the King Family room which we booked via Last Minute did not match the type of rooms which Hilton offered.

Overall we were very disappointed by the attitude of the management staff whom we found to be arrogant, unhelpful and snooty. We left with the impression that they did not welcome guests who had reserved last minute deals.

If this hotel is going to accept reservation from the Last Minute.com company, it should honour its contract!!

On a slightly more positive note, I would like to compliment the breakfast staff who were by marked contrast to management staff, friendly, helpful and professional.

Stayed March 2010