“Excellent from start to finish..........” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #50 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
England
“Excellent from start to finish..........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Enjoyed a long weekend in a fairly spacious Junior Suite and from the moment we arrived the hotel was faultless. Swift and efficient check-in, HHonors Gold Upgrade, cozy Executive Lounge and very attentive but unobtrusive staff who went out of their way to ensure that our stay was excellent. We are regular Hilton guests but this was the best Hilton stay for a while. Location for us was great, being 10 mins from the centre of the tourist areas by tram but nicely placed in a leafy suburb away from the noise and bustle. If I return to Amsterdam I will definitely stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I am a frequent traveler and stay in many nice hotels around the world. This Hilton is a really poor value for the money. For what they are charging (I got a decent rate with Priceline.com), this hotel should be better and not nickel dime you for everything (they charged me a room service fee for delivering a plate and knife). The rooms have been renovated in the last few years however I am not sure if it was designed for my grandmother or it is trying to be modern. The fit and fittings of the room are mediocre and the hotel looks tired in general.

The neighborhood is a very nice one and it is about a 20 minute walk to the Van Goh museum. I didn't find this to be a problem and enjoyed the little shops in the neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
new york, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My brother and I stayed here for 6 nights. We would not have been able to afford it if not for hotwire. That being said, most of the people there were business people or families. We could not even afford to eat breakfast there (27 euros per person!). It was located near the 16 tram (at Emmastrat) and the 5 & 24 trams (at Apollolann), so it was easy to reach the center of the city in about 20-30min on the tram.
It was by far the most luxurious hotel I have ever stayed in, but probably not the "Amsterdam Experience" most young people would be looking for. Nearer to the center of the city (at least on the outside of the canal belt) would have been a better location.
Note: You have to pay for internet access and you have to pay to use the pool.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

Before the review a short background. For many years, I have been a loyal Hilton Honors VIP because they have great hotels, excellent service and offer wonderful perks, superiors to other hotel chains. For the mentioned reasons, I decided to cash in 80K HH points for 2 nights at Amsterdam Hilton. That is a lot of points! This was the first leg of 18 days European vacation in 5 different Hilton hotels and the most expensive HH points of all other hotels. From the AMS airport we took the train and the tram #5, which was fine, although the tram was crowded and with 2 mid size suitcases was difficult to get in and out without bumping anyone’s legs. We arrived at 9 am at the hotel ready for a nap. The lady at the reception welcomed us and give us the good news: they have a room available. I email the hotel a few weeks prior, asking for a room with a view, if possible. mentioning that this was a special occasion, our 10th wedding anniversary. After the good news we got the bad news: because of my HH preferences profile, we wouldn’t receive any perks; meaning not a room upgrade or executive lounge privileges. I tried to explain that I spend with Hilton approximately 150 nights per year and never heard of such rule but she kept telling me that these are the hotel rules and she can’t change them for me. We needed some sleep so we left for the room, a second floor small room, supposedly with canal view. As it turned out, being on the lower floor, the room has mostly view of the hotel roof rather than the water. After a few hours of sleep, I returned to the reception asking, a different lady this time, to clarify why I wasn’t able to receive access to the executive lounge. She wasn’t sure but after a few minutes of confusion and asking around, she came back with the same reason. I told her that was ridiculous and I wanted to speak with a manager. She looked around, went back to her computer and after of few minutes decided that we can use the executive lounge which is really great for breakfast and refreshments. At night they have all kind of hot finger foods. I noticed many people eating there at night. We did not because we wanted to go out for some nice dinners, but someone could easily make a meal out of the food is around. There is also a computer with free Internet access available in the lounge, however, the connection is very slow and even downloading my email took long time. I never encounter any lines for food or tables as others complained in previous reports. The hotel is nice, comfortable and for the most part the staff is friendly, professional and helpful. The room we got appeared to be one of the smallest they have and for Europeans standards was ok, meaning you can walk around the bed and have 2 people standing around the room in the same time. I stayed in a few hotels in Paris and Rome where you could not do that. The hotel’s location is not the best. Although is situated in a very nice upscale neighborhood, is relatively removed from most attractions and if you are planning to spend most of your time in the center of the town you might want to reconsider. The trams stop running at midnight and a taxi ride is approximately 15 Euro. We liked the hotel and the executive lounge privileges are awesome; however, because of the location and reception staff attitude, next time I will probably try a hotel more centrally located. When we left, the hotel called a taxi for the airport, about 20 Euro.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We recently returned from a trip to Iceland, Belgium and the Netherlands. We stayed at the Hilton Amsterdam both on entry to Europe and on departure from Europe.

This Hilton is one of the finest. They service was superior in all respects. There was always someone waiting to assist you discreetly, immediately withdrawing if you did not require assistance.
We had Executive privideges since we are Hilton Diamond members but an upgrade to the Executive services are recommended if within your budget. The view over the city is awesome, the staff gracious and professional and the food devine. There is an open bar in the evening and the hours are from early moring until late at night. They offer a full breakfast there as well. There are other restaurants downstairs. The lounge serves food and is about as comfy as a hotel lounge will ever be--you can curl up by the fire with a good book on leather chairs.

The rooms are on the small side but the beds are marvelousa nd there is a pillow menu and other amenities.

Since it was my birthday, there was a chilled bottle of champagne and a one of the most marvelous cakes we have ever tasted.
Enjoy "anything goes" Amsterdam. It's a great city and this Hilton, while a bit out of the way, is worth the quiet location.

This Hilton also has nice-looking boats for rent and bikes for these so inclined. They offer a taxi voucher to Shciopol for 33 euros--we met someone who had paid 100 for the same distance. (As previously noted, taxi service in Amsterdam can be risky).
Tuppence

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I enjoyed this hotel very much! The rooms were rather large and very new. The lobby and back grounds were amazing. The hotel is located on a canal and the views are great. There is a restaurant/bar/sitting area in the back that overlooks the canal-beautiful. The staff were amazing...we were only there for 2 days and they knew our names!

Two drawbacks-the hotel is located a bit far from the sites. Before we travelled to Amsterdam it seemed that we were only going to be just slightly outside the main city area...BUT Amsterdam is set up in such a way that traveling a short distance can take a while because the roads and canals. Don't get me wrong the hotel was great...we were only there for 2 days so we would have liked to be closer to the sites. Second drawback-no free internet.

Also, the hotel has bikes to borrow but we were advised to not ride them closer to the city...good idea! We saw a few close calls with taxis and bikes.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

Pros: Nice view if room facing the back and good service.

Cons: not all rooms have been updated, slight distance from the city centre.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Amsterdam? Share your experiences!