“A true 5 star experience! Brilliant Christmas.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From €160
Ranked #45 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A true 5 star experience! Brilliant Christmas.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked this hotel for my now fiancée and her family to stay over the Christmas period from 23rd - 27th December this year. It was also a very special occasion as my partner turned 30 on 24th December.
We booked for the Christmas Day, buffet brunch that was served in the diamond ball room, and reserved this prior to arrival by email.
Upon arrival at the hotel, we checked in and were delighted to be upgraded to use the executive lounge. This was on the 10th floor and the 360 panoramic views were amazing all around the city.
We had two rooms 615 and 614 that were close to each other as requested, 615 had a lovely view over the canal and 614 had a city view that was equally impressive.
The lobby was decorated with a lovely christmas tree and made the hotel feel very festive. The hotel is situated on an exclusive street in Appollolaan that backs onto a lovely canal.
All the hotel staff were very attentive and made us feel at home during our stay. Breakfast was excellent and was served in Robertos restaurant that was lovely. The waiting staff are amazing especially the lovely Latvian girl who's name escapes me but always had a smile on her face and made our breakfasts memorable.
As previously memntioned it was my partners 30th birthday on the 24th and upon our return to the room a lovely birthday cake and chocolates had been left in the room! Such a nice gesture.
The Christmas Day brunch was excellent! From start to finish, being greeted with a glass of prosseco in reception then being shown thought to the Diamond ball room. The food was plentiful and lovely. The accompanying wine worked well also and again was free flowing.
The atmosphere was amazing and I took the opportunity to propose to my now fiancée on the side of the canal, that was perfect! And memorable,
Overall I really do not have anything bad to say about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking to stay somewhere in Amsterdam but not too close to the city, I have already even enquired about booking this hotel for our wedding day. A true Hilton faultless experience.

Room Tip: Couldn't fault room 615, canal view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear MikeFaulkner76,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such an extensive review of Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely delighted to read about your positive and memorable stay at our hotel.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the view from the Executive Lounge and rooms. Our team members take great pride in service delivery and quality and appreciate your kind words regarding the service and atmosphere.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your Christmas days at our hotel including the decoration and brunch as well as our excellent breakfast at Roberto’s and the birthday cake surprise.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Amsterdam and congratulations to you and your fiancée while we look forward to welcoming you back on your wedding day.

1,228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel in August, for two nights after a cruise. This hotel has it all. Some reviewers found the location to be out of Amsterdam's center and I respectfully disagree. There is a very pleasant 10 to 15 minute walk to the Van Gogh and Rijk (sp) museum and the Concertbouw, And within 10 minutes there are restaurants and access to public transportation. Taxis are not unreasonably expensive in Amsterdam. My point is that this is an outstanding property in every aspect, even though it is not in Amsterdam's center. This hotel has a charm, style, and location that tells you are in Amsterdam, not any other place in the world.

Room Tip: Ask for the canal side, thatis, with a view of the canal. However, the views from the non canal sid...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear fredderico,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely delighted to read your kind words about our hotel and location.

The Hilton Amsterdam is indeed located in the exclusive South of Amsterdam while the city centre is easily accessible via tram. The hotel is at walking distance from the famous Museumplein and Royal Concert Hall as well as from the RAI Congress Centre and Business District. Moreover, exclusive shopping streets, restaurants and bars are close to the hotel.

We highly appreciate your compliments regarding the charm and style of our hotel and thank you for considering it as one of the best hotels in the world.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Amsterdam and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I had myself second guessing whether we would like this location or not because it was just outside the central core and about a 7-10 minute walk to the closest tram stop. However, even with cold/rainy weather in early November, the location worked out great. I find the chaotic nature of Amsterdam somewhat overwhelming, so being able to get away from the noise/traffic (bikes, people, cars, etc.) to stay at night in a quiet neighborhood proved to be ideal for us with just a few downsides.

The room was very clean, comfortable, and spacious overlooking the canal (yes, do get a canal-facing room for a slight upgrade cost). The only complaint about the room was the lack of storage space for clothing--the drawers were kind of skimpy I thought for such a large room. The other complaint was a fairly high price for internet use which I discovered wasn't so bad if you were using only a mobile device or tablet instead of a PC (rates depend on type of device used). The bathroom was large, clean, very functional and attractive too.

Our rate included breakfast although we could only eat for 2 of the 3 nights we stayed over as the restaurant did not start serving breakfast early enough on our departure day. This seemed a little poor, as I think a 6:30 a.m. breakfast opening time is not unreasonable to ask during a weekday (we were leaving at 6:50 and breakfast starts at 7 a.m.). The buffet breakfast was excellent in both quality and variety in the European fashion of offering a wide array of meats, cheeses, fish, pastries, breads, fruit, cereals and hot items.

While the peaceful, quiet location was a plus, the downside was that there were no restaurants very close to the hotel--everything was at least a 10-15 minute walk away. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was good but expensive. I think in good weather (warmer summer months) this wouldn't have been as much of an issue as the area around the hotel is quite lovely otherwise.

If you a walker and don't mind walking a bit, this is a good location and property. The property has a personality, but not the charm of a smaller independent hotel one might find along a canal closer to the center of the city. Still, we would consider staying here again in the future, understanding the limitations.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade to get a canal-facing room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CatskillMountainM,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed staying at our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear that you feel comfortable in our clean rooms and that you enjoyed the beautiful canal view as well as the location.

The Hilton Amsterdam is located in the residential South of Amsterdam surrounded by a beautiful canal and at walking distance from the famous Museumplein, Vondel Park and business district. Moreover, many exclusive shopping streets with restaurants can be found in the neighbourhood, for example at the Cornelis Schuytstraat, which is 3 minutes from the hotel, or the Beethovenstraat from 5 minutes walking distance. The easiest and fastest way to get to the city centre is via tram or bus, which is passing by the Apollolaan as well.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the quality and variety of our breakfast buffet. We are sorry for any inconvenience you might have experienced concerning our breakfast opening time. Our recommendation for having breakfast before the opening time is to order a breakfast box from our room service, which is without additional fees or to order a full breakfast menu to your room with an additional fee of 10 Euros.

We thank you for your comments about the lack of storage room and internet prices and have discussed them with our team. We would like to inform you that our hotel will offer free internet in all public areas from mid-January.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I walked into this Hilton the bellboys the recption staff were fantastic lovely front area great spot to sit and relax or have a drink Amsterdam has it all .. The rooms are small and need some work but a very easy place to get around the staff are from all over the world and are very good at what they do the staff all have management levels excutive lounge is small but good food and drinks with fantastic view all over Amsterdam ... Breakfast was good nice selection of foods and staff here are also outstanding

Hilton with flair

On a low rooms do need work and a little of the way but if you don't mind a walk/ ride its the place for you the walks are great a lot to see and do before you know it you have walked miles people are very friendly and helpful would stay here again when in Amsterdam ...

• Stayed August 2012
Dear TPG_12,

We are delighted to read your positive words about our hotel and our team members.
Our team members do their utmost to deliver high quality and we are honoured to hear your compliments about their work.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our breakfast as well as the view of the Executive Lounge.

The Hilton Amsterdam is indeed located in the residential South of Amsterdam, surrounded by many exclusive shopping streets and restaurants while it is at walking distance from the famous Museumplein and Royal Concert Hall. It is a longer walk to the city centre with many attractions on its way. The easiest and fastest way to reach the city centre is via tram.

We take your comments regarding the size and condition of our rooms seriously and have discussed them within our team for possible future action.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here a while back with my family for a few nights before departing on a week long cruise. What an amazing experience, first class service. I was very pleased with the lay out and the professionalism presented by all of the staff. They all spoke English too! So that definitely helped me out. We were greeted warmed upon arrival, shown to our room and given some excellent recommendations for local eateries and shopping. Later that night I walked around the property and was so amazed with atmosphere, the outside bar area was just beautiful with a perfect view of the river. Strong drinks and smiling faces kept me busy for a while until I desired the nightlife Amsterdam is known for. I was sent on my way by the front desk to some great bars with great people, very safe area. I hope to return to the Netherlands soon and will most certainly be staying at the Hilton Amsterdam. Keep up the great work! Cheers.

Room Tip: I would recommend a top floor, corner unit. Also order the french dip
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Matt B,

We are very pleased to read about your amazing experience and the first class service at our hotel.

Our team members do their utmost to deliver high quality and service. Our team members appreciate your kind words regarding the service and are honoured to hear how you experienced their efforts.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. The Hilton Amsterdam is located in the exclusive South of Amsterdam, surrounded by the famous Museumplein, Royal Concert Hall and many shopping streets as well as restaurants and bars.

Sammamish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 8 nights. The location is perfect in my opinion, because it is a very short walk (maybe a minute or two) to a main bus line (we bought a bus pass and used it every day; it's a great deal), and only about a 20 minute walk to some of the major museums in the city, yet outside of the busiest part of the city by enough distance that it is extremely quiet and peaceful. We were given a lovely room with a view of a canal. Whenever I went to the lobby to ask questions, I was greeted with smiles and provided with helpful information. We ate breakfast there every day, and were delighted with the buffet offerings. On two mornings, a chef even made the rounds among the tables, offering fresh pancakes and an array of specialty syrups.We also had access to the Executive Lounge - the evening "snacks" were quite substantial and very elegantly presented. My daughter turned 21 while we were there, and I asked the concierge if I might be able to arrange for a small birthday cake to be left in our room while we were out, as a birthday surprise for her when we returned to our room. I can't say enough how pleased and surprised I was that they not only accommodated my request with an absolutely delicious cake, but also left a complementary bottle of champagne, two champagne flutes, a vase with a flower, and a personal note from one of the managers, wishing my daughter a happy birthday! I am absolutely sold on this place and would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Maverick98074,

We are extremely delighted to read about your positive stay at our hotel.

The hotel is indeed located in the residential South of Amsterdam surrounded by man exclusive shopping streets and at walking distance from the Museumplein, RAI congress centre and the Royal Concert Hall. Many bars and restaurant can be found in the neighbourhood, while the city centre is indeed easily accessible via tram or bus.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your room including the view over the canal.

Our team members take great pride in service delivery and we are honoured to read your kind words about our team members. We thank you for your compliments and appreciate your positive comments about the breakfast menu and service as well as our birthday surprise.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The staff were so helpful. They called us to ask if we like the room, we did not. It was immediately changed; great service. The breakfast is good and the lobby is nice. Furniture is classical, if you like that, and not new but its very well kept. The 5th. floor smells why ? not the room...we don't know. We did not care since we were moved to another floor when we did not like the room. Its a bite outside the center, u need a car or a taxi.

Room Tip: Change the your room if its on the 5th. floor, the corridor smells.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear drjacomo,
We are pleased to read that you were satisfied with your stay at our hotel.
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our breakfast as well as the lobby and classical design of our hotel, which suits the history of the hotel as well as the monumental building.

The Hilton Amsterdam is located in the residential South of Amsterdam, surrounded by the famous Museumplein and at walking distance from exclusive shopping streets, restaurant and bars. The city centre is indeed easily accessible via tram.

We apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced concerning the smell on the 5th floor. We have discussed this within our team and action has meanwhile been taken.

Roberto Payer

Been to Hilton Amsterdam? Share your experiences!