“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Worcestershire
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed for one night in August 2012. We had a night in Amsterdam before moving on to The Hague. We choose this hotel above the Doubletree by the station due to price. Normally this seems an expensive hotel but we got a good price so we gave it a go. I am fortunate to be a Diamond Hilton Honors member it made sense to make use of the fact this hotel has an Executive Lounge too. We were upgraded to an Executive room over looking the canal on a high floor so we had a great view across the city to the old town. The hotel is older than most Hiltons I have stayed in but it's modernised and has a grand open entrance and reception area. It's a very stylish hotel. The Executive Lounge was different than I have been before on top of the hotel in a glass sided room. It was small and I can image at rush hour for breakfast in the morning it may be to crowded, but it was fine for us on this particular occasion. We had breakfast in the main breakfast area and we could not fault the choose and quality. The location of the hotel is a bit out of the main city areas but we used the tram to get to the main station and worked our way back to the hotel via the main tourist areas so don't let this put you off this hotel.

The highlight to me was a concert in the gardens over looking the canal. We had a drink at the outside bar and watched a short Opera on a warm summers night. It was a real memory on a lovely summers evening.

Overall I liked this hotel and would recommend this place to anyone who is considering a stay in Amsterdam. The John Lennon and Yoko references mean this hotel has a history. We are glad we choose the Hilton Amsterdam as it was good value and the Beatles sung about it so can't be bad.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Sfran10536,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

We highly appreciate your positive words about the Hilton Amsterdam as a loyal Diamond Hilton Honor member.

Our hotel is a monumental building with rich history. We strive to maintain the modern design and unique style. The modern interior of John & Yoko suite was designed by Yoko Ono and our Half Moon Lounge, with a view over the canal, was designed by famous Ralph Lauren.

The Executive Lounge offers complimantary breakfast and a wide range of drinks and snacks throughout the day. Only guests staying at the executive rooms and suites have access to the Executive Lounge, which allows having a quiet and peaceful breakfast in the morning. In addition to that, it is indeed possible to enjoy a great breakfast variety at our Roberto’s Restaurant.

It is a pleasure to read that the Grachtenfestival including the concert in our garden was one of the highlights of your stay.

The Hilton Amsterdam is located in the residential South of Amsterdam while it is indeed a short tram ride to the city centre. The location offers very exclusive shopping streets and is close to the famous Museumplein.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Amsterdam while we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

1,261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Metairie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Amsterdam Hilton. The accommodations were great, large room with a nice balcony. The staff was friendly and the executive lounge added a nice extra touch to the stay. The hotel was located near the museums and transportation. It was also easy to walk from the hotel to the historic district. It’s a beautiful walk that you can do leisurely in under an hour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear bluegumbo,

We are extremely delighted to hear about your wonderful stay and friendly assistance from our team members. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the accommondation as well as your room including the balcony.

Our Executive Lounge is indeed a nice extra touch for guests and offers a beautiful panoramic view over the city.

The Hilton Amsterdam is located in the exclusive South of Amsterdam, surrounded by the Museumplein while the city centre is easily accessible via public transport or by taking a pleasant walk.

Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here on my Birthday last year and the place was excellent. Not very close to the city center and a little tricky to find at first, but a good spot and right off a tram line. Loved the rooftop area where you could have a cup of coffee and breakfast. The view from my room was amazing. Make sure that you face the city and you won't regret it. Wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear Travel1776,

It is a pleasure to read about your excellent stay at our hotel, we hope it made your birthday really special. Indeed, the hotel is located in the Southern area of Amsterdam, easily reachable by different tram lines. The hotel is within walking distance to the famous Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum and nearby the main entrtainment area of Leidseplein.

While having a hot cup of coffee or delicious snacks in our Executive Lounge on the rooftop, our guests can enjoy a panoramic view on the whole city.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the first time I stayed in this Hilton although I do normally use them out of choice. I found this particular hotel to be very comfortable and I was welcomed very politely at reception. I didn't eat in the main Restaurant in the evening but believe it has a very good reputation. I ate in the lounge bar and was surprised at the choice available and did not think it was too overpriced.
My room was very comfortable and modern with a view over the canal. (try to ask for that option if you can).
Breakfast was the usual Hilton choice which is very wide and well presented. The Restaurant staff were very attentive and polite.
I found this hotel to be very central for my needs as it was only 10 minutes from the centre of Amsterdam and 10 minutes from our Netherlands office.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view over the canal
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear threetenors,

It is a great pleasure to read about your positive comments about our hotel including a warm welcome from our team members. Our team members take great pride in service delivery and quality and we are glad to hear that you experienced it in the same way.

We are glad to hear that you found your room very comfortable and modern and enjoyed the beautiful canal view. In addition to that, we appreciate your kind words regarding our Half Moon Lounge as well as breakfast varieties.

The Hilton Amsterdam is located in the South of Amsterdam, which is a residential and exclusive area with many shopping streets and food outlets. The Museumplein, Concertgebouw and RAI congress centre are in short walking distance while the city centre is easily accessible via public transport.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I like this hotel, I have stayed here a few times. I have read the other reviews and see where folk are coming from. The attitude in customer service varies greately between europe and North america, and I think thats the reason for the unimpressed customers here.

I also have had a hilton gold card for a few years, but you do get more bang or your buck in US than western Europe. (in Budapest they came and woke me up to give me some chocolates and biscuits that I thought was weird)

Yes, the lounge is small, but its on a panoramic roof which is cool. If you dont like it you can go downstairs and have breakfast with everyone else. Also, they dont like to upgrade you in Europe either, Ive had to ask every time and youre always made to feel that they are doing you a huge favour, and its coming out of their pocket.

But having said, I like the Hilton brand. Its clean, its consistant, I have a gold card that sometimes gets me an upgrade, I know what I am getting, so all is good.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear 1014772047,

It is great to read that you are a regular and satisfied customer of our hotel and a gold member of the Hilton brand. We thank you for your loyalty and explaining the cultural diversity that meets different expectations. It is correct that different countries have different attitudes in customer servies although we try to adapt to our guests culture and to meet their expectations. Our team members give great pride in service delivery and quality and we take your comments very seriously.

We are glad to hear that you enjoy the view of our Executive Lounge and that you feel comfortable at the Hilton Hotels.

We apologize for any inconvienience concerning the uprgarde method and discussed your review for future developments.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nice hotel although slightly worn. Notwithstanding room was pretty cool, and bed very comfy.
Hotel is located close to the Rijksmuseum but a little bit far from the city center. Really friendly front desk staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Andrew Brooklyn,

We are very delighted to read that you were satisfied with our hotel as well as rooms and that you had a very comfortable stay. It is most important that our guests feel comfortable and welcomed and we are glad to hear that you experienced the same with our front desk team.

As all our team members, the front desk takes great pride in service delivery and quality and we appreciate your kind words.

The hotel is indeed located close to the Rijksmuseum as well as the Concertgebouw and RAI congress center. The city centre is easily accessible via tram and on the way you can find many exlcusive shopping streets and restaurants.

Manama, Bahrain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been a regular hilton customer, and have recently got Gold Hilton honors membership, and front this poor experience I was going to cancel my booking with this hotel and stay with another hotel.
Try to avoid dealing with reservation manager Milan worplel, as he is extremely rude, and gives u the impression that he is doing u a favor although we are getting is normal compared to all the hilton hotels I have stayed in including Waldorf Astoria and Conrad hotels which are the highest brands within the hilton. We booked an executive room and requested an upgrade to the junior suite which comes after executive rooms... Anyway got that only after escalating to the GM before canceling all the booking.
Room category: junior suite
Lobby: Very basic, and simple. The hotel allows dogs inside, which I find to be extremely dirty.
lounge: small, very small variety if snacks and drinks. Have been to more than 40 hotels from jan 2012 till now and this was the smallest and with poor food and drink selection. Although my perception was not high due to the general understanding of the Dutch stereotyping of being stingy.
Guest room: average room size with floor to ceiling windows however poor taste of interior
Bathroom: average quality and size
Room service: slow and actually offer u less quantity of whatever u order from housekeeping
Breakfast: average quality and variety.. They have a very courteous waitress (Hana, if I recall) and friendly chef serving pancakes
Concierge: ok
Location: 10 mins by bus from city center attractions
Facilities: haven't used

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Mr. Al Alawi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your personal review of the Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

We were very sorry to read that after all we have done to make your stay comfortable you still did not appreciate our efforts.

We were so kind to upgrade you to a Junior Suite, during a sold out time period. Upgrading to a suite is only given upon availability and this was done as a gesture of goodwill. Your room rate was Euro 149,50 per night, including breakfast.

The lobby, while simple in your eyes, has been designed by Skidmore, Owen & Merrill, one of the top architects in the world, but I understand that this did not meet your approval.

We understand that the style of the suite was not yours but would like to advise you that one of the top designers in Europe, Designers Guild, has designed the room.

Pets are allowed in the room In most of the hotels in Europe and we are proud that we offer the same facility. We secure the hygiene of the room by a special cleaning method and for this the guest is charged an additional fee.

The lounge is maybe small, but offers a beautiful 360 degrees panoramic view over Amsterdam. Our lounge offers a full bar including champagne and snacks. We do not serve a full dinner. I would appreciate if you could advise which kind of drinks you missed?

The size of our Junior Suite is 40 m2 and overlooking our garden and the canal.

We have taken the liberty to review your bill and found that you never ordered room service. Could you please advise us what exactly you mean?

We hope that the guests who read our reply will see the situation from both sides.

Yours sincerely,

Roberto Payer

Been to Hilton Amsterdam? Share your experiences!