“Five Stars is Not Enough” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #51 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Five Stars is Not Enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Amsterdam Hilton is simply the best hotel we've ever stayed at, and believe me we've stayed in them all, from 3,000 square foot suites at the Grand Hyatt to Super Eights. The location is ideal (for us), far enough away from the "action" to be a peaceful retreat, but close enough to easily walk to many of Amsterdam's attractions, especially the Museumplein. The neighberhood is very, very safe and you don't feel uncomfortable walking even at night. It's the kind of area you'd like to live in. The rooms are spotlessly clean, large and very comfortable, but the best asset of the hotel is the staff. Every single one from doormen to waiters to housekeeping staff went far, far out of their way to make you feel welcome. This is a top shelf hotel, easily on par with any Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal side room. The view is outstanding.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Traveladdcit037,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

We are more than delighted to read your positive review about our hotel.
Your words of appreciation for the Hotel, the Team members and the overall service make us very proud. Rest assured that I will share them with our team members.

We are very glad you enjoyed your time spent and we would like to thank you for the positive feedback for our Hotel.
Thank you for staying in the Hilton Amsterdam and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Roberto Payer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuopio, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel is situated in quiet and expensive neighbourhood, not too much from Schiphol airport. No use in taking the trains and trams. A taxi ride costs between 30 and 35 euros.

Built in 1960´s but renovated and up to date in every respect. I booked the van Gogh suite but after experiencing it, would not do it again. The room and bathroom were ok but the furniture was old fashioned and somewhat uncomfortable - replicas from the artist´s bedroom. Soundproofing was neither the best I have experienced in Hiltons. AC worked ok. Minibar prices were average: 7 euros for a beer or 5 cl whisky or vodka. And room service prices also bearable (a bottle of wine for 20 to 30 euros).

What made the difference, was the service attitude and professionalism of the staff. Both check in and out were handled masterfully, right cards had the right charges placed. Same went on with the concierges and restaurant/bar staff. Breakfast-buffet was adequate downstairs, I did not sample the top floor executive lounge breakfast.

Exec. lounge was somewhat congested and not all of the guests just had a snack bite and refreshing drink before heading for proper dinner... It always amazes me, how much free drinks and snacks can be consumed by some individuals. Sitting in a smallish lounge and tapping a laptop (for hours) is neither very considerate for other guests!

Despite the small disappointment in the above mentioned lounge, I really enjoyed the stay, the old day´s Hilton ambiance from sixties and seventies was vividly present!

Room Tip: Canal side and high floor have a nicer scenery.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Hilton Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear TuomLapv,

We are happy to read your positive review about the Hilton Amsterdam. I will certainly inform our Team Members about your wonderful comments.
I would also like to thank you for your feedback about our “Van Gogh” suite furniture as well as about our Executive lounge.

Also I want to thank you for the very positive feedback about our Breakfast selection, our Italian restaurant Roberto’s and our Concierge team.

If you have any questions about how to get around in Amsterdam and what to explore in the surrounding of the hotel, please do not hesitate to conatc our Concierge desk in the lobby.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked the Hilton for my wife and I having stayed in many Hilton brand hotels in the USA and the UK. We both enjoyed the canal view room and found it very comfortable, clean and spacious. The staff in the hotel were always courteous and helped out wherever they could with advice and maps of the local area.

My only gripe with the hotel is the extortionate cost of everything - We managed to travel to Hard Rock Cafe, eat and travel back cheaper that we could buy two club sandwiches and a drink from the room service menu. I found the mini bar much worse and it still bothers me that hotels like this charge for Internet access.

Overall, we would both gladly stay here again - We just wouldn't buy any food or drinks from the hotel.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are worth the little extra in my opinion.
Dear Sh0ckw4ve,

We are happy to read your positive review about the Hilton Amsterdam. Also I want to thank you for the positive feedback about our rooms and Team Members.

I take your comments about the prices of our hotel very serious and I can assure you that I will discuss tehm within our team for future developments.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The location of Hilton Amsterdam is often criticized in Tripadvisor's reviews but I think that it is not fair: Amsterdam is a big city and you can't stay close to all the attractions. Hotel is situated in the most luxury Amsterdam residential quarters away from red light district and busy and noisy historical part. At the same time Hilton Amsterdam is 7 minutes walk from Concert Hall, 10-12 minutes walk from Van Gog Museum and Rijksmuseum and 15 minutes walk from the most chic shopping street in Amsterdam (all close to each other). There is no other 5 stars hotel in Amsterdam that is closer to those sites. But if you want to go to Ann Frank museum or to Dam Square, you will have to pay 10-12 euros for taxi. There are plenty of good restaurants in this part of Amsterdam and good boutiques. Roberto's is top class hotel's Italian restaurant and I would highly recommend to spend an evening there. There is also a very good bar in hotel and executive lounge on the roof. In summer hotel's clients can enjoy sitting outside at canal for lunch, dinner, snack or drink. Views from all the hotel's rooms are great but you can spend some extra money to have canal view. Rooms are standard Hilton rooms, comfortable but nothing special. We stayed in Junior suite on 8th floor with canal view. Suite was spacious - approximately 35 square meters - with floor to ceiling windows and tastefully decorated. You could spend the whole stay sitting in armchair in front of the window: it is so beautiful! Service was very good (restaurant, bar, concierge, executive lounge). All the personnel is well trained and always in good mood. And you can't beat Dutch humor!..
I would highly recommend to stay in this hotel: it is always a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Canal view deluxe plus or Junior suite
Dear ninan1,

We are happy to read your very positive review about the Hilton Amsterdam. I will certainly inform our Team Members about your wonderful comments.

Also I want to thank you for the very positive feedback about our rooms, our Italian restaurant Roberto’s, our Half Moon Lounge and our Executive Lounge.

Moreover, I’m happy to read that you enjoyed your time spent on our Garden Terrace located in the backyard of the hotel at the waterfront where you have a nice view on the canal and the passing boats.
Our concierge can arrange to rent a boat if you want to experience yourself a unique trip on the canals of Amsterdam.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I'm not a big fan of Hilton in general, but I really liked the one in Amsterdam. The hotel was in a great setting away from the touristy areas of the city, but very close to the Museumplein. There were a lot of great restaurants in the area including an Indonesian place (Restaurant Blauw) and a great vegetarian place (De Waaghals).

The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. They had a great patio where you could get drinks and food that overlooked the marina. They had a nice gym (if you don't have Hilton elite status there is a fee for the use of the gym), bicycles available for rental, and the concierge service was very helpful. The rooms were very comfortable, and the curtains screened out the sunlight very well, which is important during the summer months as it gets bright very early in Amsterdam.

What I liked most was that the hotel is located in a very quiet part of the city, but close to all the places I wanted to see.

Dear Lance N,

Your words of appreciation for the Hotel and its Team members make us very proud. Rest assure that I will share them with our team members.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our bikes which it really is the best way to visit Amsterdam especially on a nice sunny summer day.

Thank you for staying in the Hilton Amsterdam en we hope to have the oppurtinity to welcome you back in the near future.

New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

The room was actually very nice as to be expected from a Hilton property, but the staff was rude and unhelpful. I also found that the room extras were way overpriced compared to other hotels including Hilton hotels that I have stayed at in the past. The location is good if you are only interested in the museums, but it is a long walk or tram ride to get to the heart of the city.

Dear TracyBowman,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the Hilton Amsterdam on Tripadvisor.

We are sorry to hear that not all of our service and facilities meet with your expectations. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I take your comments very serious and I will discuss them within our team for future developments.

I would be glad if you would like to share any other feedback about your experiences, so we can continue to improve our high level of service.
You can contact us by email (operations.amsterdam@hilton.com ) or by calling us: 0031-(0) 20 710 6036.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton Amsterdam and we hope to welcome to the hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Roberto Payer

Been to Hilton Amsterdam? Share your experiences!