This is a very nice hotel, located somewhat out of the way in a residential neighborhood. About a 20 minute cab ride from city center, which may be inconvenient, but at the same time, the local quiet residential neighborhood is a very pleasant area to take a walk in, and does have a few restaurants and shops. The rooms are decorated in a pleasant, comfortable, relaxing manner. The Italian restaurant Roberto's is excellent. Room service was also pretty good, though not outstanding.
I give this hotel high praise for quality internet access. Many hotels in Amsterdam, and around the world, still, to this day, have slow or unreliable internet access. Why is it that people can pay $40 a month and get fast, consistent, reliable internet in their homes, but when they pay $500 a night for a hotel room somehow this becomes impossible to guarantee? There's no explanation other than that old fuddy-duddies in management just don't "get it" when it comes to needing to set up proper tubes for the interwebs.
Well, this hotel gets it! Download speeds on the wired (ethernet) connection are about 20 megabits/second from the US, and by wireless about 2 megabits/second. Speed is constant and reliable. The one annoyance was that the system requires you to log out and in again for each 250 megabytes you upload. Also once per day, at least. This is irritating, and one can easily reach 250 mb upload these days, with skype video chat, uploading large files to company server, etc. This should be modernized. Needing to re-login every day can also be disruptive, interrupting your connection when you are in the middle of doing something, or even worse, if you are asleep and waiting for a message to come via skype, etc., in which case you will miss it entirely. I dont want to gripe about the internet since it was very good overall, but this need to re-login thing should be revisited. If you buy a week of access, for example, it should just flat-out be on for a week, no re-logins about it.
One other minor improvement I would suggest, small refrigerators for guests' personal items are not available. I had asked for a small refrigerator for my room, and was told they're unavailable. They said I should move things out of the minibar to make space for my stuff. I enjoy shopping for cheeses, patés, meats, etc., which are very tasty in holland, and would like to have some place to put them. I did also want to use the minibar, though. So I did lose use of the minibar due to having to move a lot of stuff out to make room for my things. I would have used the minibar more if I had been given a separate small refrigerator, so they would actually make more money by providing this. Would have been very nice to have had a separate fridge for my personal purchases, and to still have full use of the minibar, which I ordinarily use quite a bit.
Bathroom is small and functional, notthing to write home about, as expected in a primarily business oriented hotel, but certainly adequate. It's not a huge luxurious tub, but suffices.
They don't have expedited laundry service, either. Only put in by 9 am, back "around 7 pm". Not a big deal, either, but sometimes it is nice to be able to get clothes back quickly if necessary.
Overall a very reliable, pleasant, comfortable hotel, with management that understands the importance of fast, reliable internet access. Some areas of possible improvement, but they get 5 stars for these positive things!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Hilton Amsterdam hotel. Famous for John Lennon and Yoko Ono's 1969 bed-in, the Hilton Amsterdam hotel is a short walk from the Van Gogh Museum and Amsterdam attractions. This canal-side hotel has an award-winning Italian restaurant and is 15 minutes from Schiphol Airport. Do business in the Executive Lounge or unwind in the health club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Orbitz, Travelocity, Venere, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hilton Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Hilton International Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hilton International