“Owner cancelled my Reservation.” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
B&B 1657
Herengracht 585, 1017 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #129 of 303 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
“Owner cancelled my Reservation.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I booked my stay with the owner operator Sal over the Internet via email. He told me that we had a room for April 28 - May 1, 2013 and he would update his calendar with our booking. He quoted us 405$ for the 3 nights which I thought was reasonable. My husband and I were excited because we will be traveling to Europe for the first time next month and Amsterdam is our first stop. However, one day later and two additional confirmation emails later Sal informed me via email that he had cancelled our reservation because it was the Queens Coronation which is a very busy time for him and he would be increasing the rate to 275$ a night. Additionally, he did not even give us the option to book with him at an increased price. While I can appreciate that room prices increase during festivals and holidays the manner which we were treated was unprofessional. We fortunately did not put out any money but due to the Queens Coronation finding a place has been stressful and challenging to do because it seems almost everything is booked up. Based on this experience I would not recommend this B & B which is unfortunate because it originally looked like a pleasant place to stay.

Stayed March 2013

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights here at the beginning of our 4 weeks in Europe. We arrived on an early flight from Australia and were able to drop our bags off until we could check in- this was really appreciated as it allowed us to get our bearings and have a bit of a look around the area we were staying. Great location on the canal, we walked from the train station and it took about 20 minutes at an easy pace.
We were looked after by Els who made our stay most enjoyable. She made us the most delicious breakfast each morning and even made arrangements for us on the morning we were leaving early before breakfast was served. Nothing was too much trouble for her. She was able to give us tips about dining nearby and of things to see and do during our stay.
Our room on the first floor was delightful overlooking the canal and the bathroom across the hallway was large and modern. Shampoo and body gel was supplied as was a small fridge with several different types of drinks compliments of the house.
We stayed from Sunday night to Thursday morning and did not have any problems with noise from outside.
We were able to walk to most attractions around the city, but hired bikes from nearby and spent a day riding through the wetlands and then around the city area, great fun. We also visited Haarlem and Zaanse Schans- catching trains to both places.
Amsterdam was a great place to start our journey, and this was enhanced by our fabulous stay at B&B 1657

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Wife and I stayed for 4 nights. Ok room with private bathroom across the landing (no shower gel or shampoo provided). Towels not changed and make your own bed (comfy and big). Location is a strong point but Friday and Saturday nights were unbearably noisy as taxis wait outside for nightclub revellers which made sleep impossible until well after 4am! It might be quiter in a room on the upper floors (we were in room 1. Nice friendly welcome from Else but this B&B was too expensive for what is on offer.

• Stayed September 2012
Waterford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

The B&B 1657 is a special place....located on a canal with large windows overlooking the water and quiet street below. With only three rooms and over-the-top hospitality by Sal, the owner, property manager and chef, we had a very comfortable stay. Each room has a large private bath, with each one having recently been renovated with high quality features. Freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly baked croissants and baguettes accompanying each breakfast were a great start to the day. The building is located in a very safe area of the city on one of the nicest canals. We will certainly highly recommend this B&B to our friends and family members!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My 3 friends and I stayed in B&B 1657 for a long weekend and it couldn't have been a better experience. The B&B is only 3 rooms; nicely decorated, clean and in a great location, and breakfast was very tasty. Sal was very friendly and very helpful.Sal, Prosecco on arrival and a free minibar are extra touches that set this apart from other places. Highly recommended and would stay again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Juan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

This was an absolutely beautiful place.The bathroom and the bedroom were comfortable and state of the art.The breakfasts were delicious and the staff was more than accommodating. My boyfriend and I were sick upon arrival here and the proprietor actually made us fresh squeezed orange juice. It was very nice. I would highly recommend staying here and would stay here again in future.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to B&B 1657? Share your experiences!