“The worse hostel ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Centraal

You added Hostel Centraal to your Saves list
Hostel Centraal
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Plantage Kerklaan 19, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)   |
Ranked #177 of 207 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Rouen, France
“The worse hostel ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

The very first thing to notice is the rude staff, I can't even say staff since there was only one guy not sympathetic at all who never was at the reception. We waited so long to do the check out and we almost lost the train.
But the worse was the bathroom, so dirty and smelly, there was a flood each shower.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Super creepy place. I'd never feel so uncomfortable with the room as in the hostel. Room has got 2 x 3 meters square and 4 beds in it. I wouldn't mention about the fact that there was even no place to put your luggage on the floor and FORGET about space where you can put your phone, room card etc. On my upper bed I didnt have ledder so I ask how Im supposed to get in there and got answer: "I don'tt know". The stairs are also a disaster. Toilet with no sink, so if you want to wash your hands you need to do this in shower. Terrible! And the fact that I wanted to stay just for one night- and I got added extra 5 euro for I DON"T KNOW WHAT!
It's better to sleep in the luggage store in central sttaion than here!

Room Tip: I wouldnt recomend this place to anybody! And the terrible jasmin smell in reception!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank MAGDANASKRET
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

It's not very close to the dam square or to the leidseplein. The signs to find it are not very visible. Beds and rooms are ok (6 beds per room, with a private toilet/shower). Lots of floors so baggage must be only backpacks.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tca409
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

To explain death trap, a mixture of drugs and alcohol combined with the small, uneven, circular stairwell and living on the top (4th) floor is not a good combination. Rooms are dirty, bathrooms looked like that hasn't been cleaned in a few turn over of guests and needed serious renovation. We literally stayed out of the room as much as possible.. Luckily Amsterdam is absolutely beautiful so it was easy to. Completely over priced for what it is unfortunately we booked late so had no choice but I wouldn't recommend anyone ever paying to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Erikakh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Before we even arrived we had problems. We were emailed to say unless they could pre authorise payment we would lose the room. They had already took our deposit so seemed strange they'd wait so long to authorise it.
The stairs are a death trap. We were the top floor and fear of broken limbs was constant our stay.
A wet room for a bathroom is awful as other reviews have mentioned shower is above the toilet so your towels are then used for drying the bathroom rather than yourself.

The place is really over priced for what you actually get.

• Stayed August 2013
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The guys that worked there were very sweet and I wouldn't say a bad word about them. Unfortunately being nice doesn't make a great hostel. It was very cramped, and half the time they weren't on reception so I felt a bit stuck wondering around trying to find someone to check out.
The room I was in was for six and it was very cramped. A wet room isn't ideal for hostels in my opinion as everything gets soaked and the walls are so thin you can hear everyone go to the toilet (very awkward).
I didn't find the location bad at all, you can get a tram but it was a nice enough walk. The Turkish café across the road was lovely too.
Also I went downstairs at 9.50 (breakfast finishes at 10) and he said I was too late and he wasn't making it any more and if I wanted breakfast next time come down earlier. Which I thought was odd...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank becky u
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Not such a great location, over by the zoo. Have to take the tram to get anywhere. Was really cheap when I stayed, got what I paid for - beds seemed clean, but everything else could use a good scrub. Had lots of hot water. Rooms very basic, just bunkbeds and safes - which work! Very old hotel. Toast/juice/coffee/ceral for breakfast. We stayed on the top floor, the stairs are like a ladder - and with a pack it was almost deadly sometimes. Free wireless internet, but didnt work on the floor we were on, had to climb down to the lobby.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the lower floors, you won't regret avoiding the climb
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends