“DON"T COME HERE!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #160 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“DON"T COME HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Super creepy place. I'd never feel so uncomfortable with the room as in the hostel. Room has got 2 x 3 meters square and 4 beds in it. I wouldn't mention about the fact that there was even no place to put your luggage on the floor and FORGET about space where you can put your phone, room card etc. On my upper bed I didnt have ledder so I ask how Im supposed to get in there and got answer: "I don'tt know". The stairs are also a disaster. Toilet with no sink, so if you want to wash your hands you need to do this in shower. Terrible! And the fact that I wanted to stay just for one night- and I got added extra 5 euro for I DON"T KNOW WHAT!
It's better to sleep in the luggage store in central sttaion than here!

Room Tip: I wouldnt recomend this place to anybody! And the terrible jasmin smell in reception!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

It's not very close to the dam square or to the leidseplein. The signs to find it are not very visible. Beds and rooms are ok (6 beds per room, with a private toilet/shower). Lots of floors so baggage must be only backpacks.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

To explain death trap, a mixture of drugs and alcohol combined with the small, uneven, circular stairwell and living on the top (4th) floor is not a good combination. Rooms are dirty, bathrooms looked like that hasn't been cleaned in a few turn over of guests and needed serious renovation. We literally stayed out of the room as much as possible.. Luckily Amsterdam is absolutely beautiful so it was easy to. Completely over priced for what it is unfortunately we booked late so had no choice but I wouldn't recommend anyone ever paying to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Before we even arrived we had problems. We were emailed to say unless they could pre authorise payment we would lose the room. They had already took our deposit so seemed strange they'd wait so long to authorise it.
The stairs are a death trap. We were the top floor and fear of broken limbs was constant our stay.
A wet room for a bathroom is awful as other reviews have mentioned shower is above the toilet so your towels are then used for drying the bathroom rather than yourself.

The place is really over priced for what you actually get.

• Stayed August 2013
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The guys that worked there were very sweet and I wouldn't say a bad word about them. Unfortunately being nice doesn't make a great hostel. It was very cramped, and half the time they weren't on reception so I felt a bit stuck wondering around trying to find someone to check out.
The room I was in was for six and it was very cramped. A wet room isn't ideal for hostels in my opinion as everything gets soaked and the walls are so thin you can hear everyone go to the toilet (very awkward).
I didn't find the location bad at all, you can get a tram but it was a nice enough walk. The Turkish café across the road was lovely too.
Also I went downstairs at 9.50 (breakfast finishes at 10) and he said I was too late and he wasn't making it any more and if I wanted breakfast next time come down earlier. Which I thought was odd...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Not such a great location, over by the zoo. Have to take the tram to get anywhere. Was really cheap when I stayed, got what I paid for - beds seemed clean, but everything else could use a good scrub. Had lots of hot water. Rooms very basic, just bunkbeds and safes - which work! Very old hotel. Toast/juice/coffee/ceral for breakfast. We stayed on the top floor, the stairs are like a ladder - and with a pack it was almost deadly sometimes. Free wireless internet, but didnt work on the floor we were on, had to climb down to the lobby.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the lower floors, you won't regret avoiding the climb
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hostel was kind enough to say that 5 of us could stay for 2 nights at short notice. they forgot to mention in the email that the price would go up on the week end that we were there because there was a dance event on the we did not know about. so the price went from about 20 euro to 60. they also didn't mention that on the second night we would have to check out of our beds, and move into the kitchen room, which they had put 2 mattresses down for 4 of us to share! and didn't reduce the price at all!! then in the morning, because to was the breakfast room, they work us all up at 8:45am because people would be coming in to get breakfast..... no one came for breakfast!!! on top of this its just in a bad location, not close to the city at all. defiantly not worth it!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Centraal? Share your experiences!