“Excellent location and hostess” 5 of 5 stars

B & B Alexander
Alexander Boersstraat 15, 1071 KT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #58 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent location and hostess”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I spent two nights at B and B Alexander and the location is outstanding. It is very close to the major museums while being located in a lovely and quiet neighbourhood.
It is also located in close close proximity to the main No 5 tram line and an excellent supermarket. The bus service to the airport is also nearby.
My room was large and very comfortable. Janneke is a wonderful host and prepares a more than adequate breakfast. Janneke's house is nicely decorated and her artistic works add to the decor. The provision of a kitchenette is a nice touch and one which I made use of.
The internal stairs are steep but manageable with normal luggage.
I suspect that the tarrif represents good value for money for Amsterdam.
Overall I had a very pleasant stay and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I spent a long weekend at B&B Alexander, while exploring Amsterdam, and I'm very happy with my choice for several reasons.
1. The B&B is in a great location. Close to museums and the beautiful Vondelpark, surrounded by awesome artchitecture. And also directly served by a bus from the airport (around 25-30 minutes).
2. It's a private house, nicely decorated and well kept, and Janneke (the owner and hostess) is a very charming and lovely lady.
3. If you manage to overlook the steep stairs (normal everywhere in Amsterdam), the rooms and bathrooms are very spacious, unlike many other B&Bs I've been in.
4. Breakfast is served in the dining room at one big round table, on gorgeous china. Sitting at one table with other potential guests gives you the opportunity to share your experiences and simply have an enjoyable meal.

I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Whitby Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We recently had the pleasure of staying at Janneke's B & B in Amsterdam. It was a wonderful experience. The house is in such a lovely neighbourhood; the room was very comfortable. We made use of the kitchenette which was handy for preparing snacks. Janneke prepared the most delicious breakfast every morning and she was able to accommodate my gluten free diet. I would recommend this B & B for its true Amsterdam hospitality!

Room Tip: The purple room on the first floor was like having a suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

I was looking for a place to stay that was not a large chain hotel. I immediately thought of a B&B. There are so many in Amsterdam, so I thought that I would start with an area that I knew was safe and nice. That helped a little, but I still got a lot of b&b's. I tried hard to research all of them, but time was running short. I found this one and I have Zero regrets. Staying here is like you are staying with family (without the drama, but you do have to pay before you go...don't worry, the cost is very reasonable!). Anyways, facilities are very clean, extremely close to good food, shops, etc. I really don't know what else to say, except, it's doubtful you will be disappointed. Please understand, this is a person's house that you are staying at, so don't expect an elevator or middle of the night room service. You also won't be earning any frequent flier miles either, but you will get friendly, personalized service from someone who cares about your stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I feel very lucky for selecting this place on my vacation. I think it is one of the best B&B in the city. First of all, cleaning and privacy was very important for me. We stayed with my husband on the first floor which whole floor was belonging to us. We had nicely decorated wide bedroom, kitchenette (including tea, coffee...), wc and the bathroom. In addition, it is located in the museum quarter that most of museums are in walking distance. And if you take number 5 tram on the main road, it takes about 10 minutes to go to city center, dam square. Lastly, the owner of the house, Ms.Jannekke was very kind and helpful lady, and she prepared a rich and delicious breakfast to us. If one day, I go back to Amsterdam, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We had a pleasant stay at B&B Alexander easy reachable either from the airport or from the train station. Location is perfect, we walked all over town from there. The owner was very helpful, communication was fast and efficient during reservation. Our room was also great :spacious and clean. Would come back without hesitation.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

A lovely old house in a good location near The Concertgebouw.
We stayed in a beautifully furnished large room, with a balcony, on the first floor.We had sole use of a small kitchen and a bathroom down the corridor.Touches like the welcome wine and chocolates were much appreciated.
Breakfast was served in Janneke's own charming lounge/dinning room and was excellent and very well presented.
Janneke was most welcoming and helpful and we felt like house guests.
Would definitely recommend this little gem and stay there again.

Room Tip: Front rooms are probably cooler and have the advantage of a small balcony.The road is quiet and nois...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to B & B Alexander? Share your experiences!