“Simple food done well” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 2,318 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International, Bistro
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: A family owned (father Frans & son Bob) bistro where we serve nice dishes with a good quality - price relation in a friendly atmosphere. Like in "brasserie Vlaming" we serve here also the "worldfamous" (anyway in Amsterdam) Sticky Toffee Pie.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Simple food done well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This place is quite small but very popular, so book ahead if you can - it is worth it. The food is relatively simple but very well cooked and very tasty. The service is helpful and friendly. The atmosphere is relaxed and laid- back. The servings are plentiful and you won't leave hungry, but if you can, leave room for the sticky-toffee cos its delicious.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
preston
“A really great treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We booked for a meal here by e mail in advance and it is obviously a very busy and popular venue. Quite a small place and located a little out from the centre. People were waiting at the bar for tables. Lovely and friendly service, excellent food and a limited choice of dishes ensured that all was really fresh. Goats cheese roll was a good choice. The shared platter looked good (like an afternoon tea served on a 3 tier stand). I had the veg risotto (sublime) and my fellow guest had a delicious angus steak. I tried the home made limoncello liqueur and the sticky toffee was good too. The side dishes big and good value. It's not cheap to dine here, certainly not expensive in Amsterdam standards but well worth every Euro. Thanks for a good night.

Visited November 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A fine place to dine in Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I made a reservation based on TA reviews weeks before I left the U.S. and it was well worth it. The host who I assume is one of the owners is a gregarious very friendly fellow who speaks perfect English. My wife had what I believe was a special of the day which was a seared Tuna. I had the Black Angus steak with a blue cheese sauce. Both were excellent. The house wines were good and reasonably priced. For dessert, it was the first time we had what I assume is an Amsterdam/Netherlands specialty: Sticky Toffee Pie. What a great dessert for someone with a “sweet tooth”, which we both have. My only minor complaint was that our server was sort of a shy young lady who didn’t check in with us on a regular basis for more wine or coffee. Several times we had to wave her over, even though we were eating early and the restaurant wasn’t crowded. But I’m sure she’ll get better and I would return to this restaurant in a second the next time we’re in Amsterdam.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
go2sands
“Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Did not book so expected to be let down, but they allowed us to sit at the bar (which suited us fine). Really well looked after and meal was superb, could not have asked for more. Only a small place but big welcome.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great hosts, delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We went to this restaurant on a Saturday evening and were delighted with the ambience, the engagement of the hosts and the food was simple yet finished excellently.

• Visited November 2013