“Great experience for our anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 2,414 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Diner, Dutch, International, Bistro
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: A family owned (father Frans & son Bob) bistro where we serve nice dishes with a good quality - price relation in a friendly atmosphere. Like in "brasserie Vlaming" we serve here also the "worldfamous" (anyway in Amsterdam) Sticky Toffee Pie.
Lockerbie
“Great experience for our anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Reserved a table based on the many glowing reports on Trip Advisor - and we were certainly not disappointed. Booking was simple and efficient and I received a nice email within an hour to confirm my table.

Not unexpectedly, it was not packed for a Tuesday night, but the turnover was regular - a positive sign on its own. We were warmly greeted on arrival and offered our table of choice and then talked through the menu and the 'specials' on the mirror.

Wonderful light bread paved the way for Pumpkin soup for myself and a very generous portion of gravlax for Mrs Tubby. Both were delicious but hardly prepared for the joys to follow - angus steak with blue cheese sauce, a wonderfully tasty and sumptuous burger, accompanied by the ubiquitous fries and some delightful beetroot from the 'specials'. Mrs T who is partial to her steak, rare in style, declared it to be 'the best steak I have ever had'. When you consider that I have been a vegetarian for 7 months - to break that I had to be tempted by something special - and the fantastic moist, tasty burger topped with a fried egg, tomatoes and pickle, was just that sort of temptation.

A glass of wine and a Chouffe beer rounded the meal off perfectly leaving no space for dessert. All was delivered to our table by a very friendly and attentive host, supported by his amiable chef.

In summary, a delightful evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary - and, at 64Euros, not as expensive as some reports would have you believe.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
belfast
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I went to the main restaurant on lindengracht the other night with my partner.....wow what a meal. Definitely a highlight of our weeklong trip to the city. For a start the restaurant itself and the decor is absolutely beautiful. But as with most places in Amsterdam you will not feel out of place however you are dressed! The service was wonderful, the gentleman who looked after us was very good at his job, he made us feel very welcome whilst not being overbearing. He took time to chat to us about the food and our trip.

The sharing starter is a must, you get a tiered platter with a selection of starters, including a shot of soup, prawns, goats cheese, charcuterie and pâté. Not only did it look fabulous but it was also very tasty! I had the risotto for main, which was lovely, and my boyfriend had steak. It was on the rare side of medium....maybe something to bear in mind if you order a steak here! He enjoyed it nonetheless.

The only downside of our whole night was the group of Americans sat next to us. They all seemed to speak VERY LOUDLY, which ruined the ambience a bit.

All in all a great night. It was pricey enough, but worth it. A nice place for a special occasion or your last night on holiday. Seek this place out, you can thank me later ;)

Visited October 2013
Milan, Italy
“Good food well cooked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I've just been there. I was alone in Amsterdam traveling for professional reasons. The food was good ans well cooked. I had the trio fish and pheasant with crispy steamed vegetables. Nice staff too.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Delightful staff, food and ambience...excellent bistro.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went to Vlaming in the Prinsengracht and as they couldn't accommodate us I asked about Lindengracht. They checked and said fully booked. But we went the anyway to see for ourselves. V warm greeting, we were offered a place at the bar and then were told there may be a table, and sure enough there was. Packed, buzzy, ice cold water supplied without being asked (almost a first in 12 months!),extremely tender steak, lovely mix of green veg, the obligatory chips and mayo. Lovely friendly servers. Many thanks.
PS the reason for giving it a very good rating and not an excellent is simply because whilst it is excellent at what it wants to do, it is not, nor does it pretend to be, a top, top sort of place. It's more of a bistro

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was together with my girlfriend to eat something. Food was good but not very special at all. The staff wasn't very friendly to us. The price was very expensive. Maybe next time better.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frans1951, Eigenaar at Vlaming eten & drinken, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello Caroline, I wonder why you rate us with just 1 star whilst you give us 2 or 3 stars per single category??? Most of our other guests underline that we have a extremely kind staff and serve nice food at a good quality - price relation in a warm, familiar atmosphere. So it's a pity that you didn't experience that. But also your other reviews for other restaurants are very negative, so maybe Amsterdam is simply not your kind of town... Regards, Frans Vlaming