“unforgettable time on LOVE boat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Love Houseboat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amsterdam Love Houseboat
You added Amsterdam Love Houseboat to your Saves list
Oosterdok, 1011TE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Eastern Docklands (Oostelijk Havengebied))   |
Yekaterinburg, Russia
“unforgettable time on LOVE boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

It was our first trip to Amsterdam and we stayed for the first time in our lifes on the houseboat! It's completely different experience to wake up surrounded by water, swans and ducks. You immediately get this peacefull feeling as if you are somewhere in a village or summer house, but at the same time in 7 min walking distance you have restaurants, shops, bio market and red district area. The better location is hard to find!

I really enjoyed the inside decoration of the boat, it brings you back in time, all these wooden tables and amazing lamps. One of my favorite things on board was a bath tube, I felt totally happy to end the busy day resting there, especially when it was raining outside. I want to say thanks for such a special experience to Nina and Eric. They made out stay really beautiful. We got a map on the arrival with all detailed information about "special" places in the city, so in the end we didn't feel ourselvse like tourists, but more like locals, riding black bikes, locking them with 3 kg chain, sitting on the roofs and sailing on free ferries to the opposite side of the city.
It was a dream that I'll remember the whole my life and definetely will come back to Love boat.
PS the trip was a gift from my boyfriend :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had the most amazing time on the house boat. Both our hosts were such amazing at making us feel welcome. They even parked my car for me as we were exhausted from working at the Tomorrowland festival. We needed a rest from the hectic festival and the house boat was much more than we anticipated.

The hosts are such good people and they will jump through hoops for you, at any oportunity. Carparking is not the easiest thing in central Amsterdam but there is always a solution when you are staying with Eric and Nina.

We travel all over the world setting up shops at festivals and we have had many experiences with hotels and hosts of every kind, these guys have given us by far the best experience of all. Congratulations for creating such a wonderful fleet of house boats for all of us to enjoy! We will be back soon, we hope to see you on Kos Island before too long!

• Stayed July 2014
Hydra, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We just returned for our second stay at the Love Boat - this time with our children. As always, our stay was everything promised - comfortable, clean and romantic. Eric and Katarina, thanks for looking after our boys, we know they can be a handful, was great to be able to leave them safely in your hands. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed with my friend here a few nights and we had a real great experience on the waterfront. The boat is very warm and authentic, the owners superbly hospitable and helpful to find our way around. A totally relaxing and safe place in a bustling city. And a great bed by the way.

Room Tip: Anybody looking for a quiet romantic experience in the centre of Amsterdam
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Imperial Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great experience, very clean, all the accommodations necessary for a wonderful stay.
The location cannot be better, it is minutes within walking distance of central station.

Loved it, next time in Amsterdam I won´t bother looking for hotel room, I´ll go directly to a House Boat!!!

Room Tip: The best Amsterdam experience is to stay at a House Boat
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE IT IS NOT WORTH THE RISK, YOUR LIFE IS WORTH MORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Please see my photos to confirm.

After coming across the Loveboat website and reading the wonderful reviews on tripadviser we decided to book 3 nights at the boat for a short holiday.

Night One:
Arrived at the boat amazed at the layout and how nice it was, location great etc perfect place. My husband and I have been frequent travellers to Dam for many years (we’ve done the Hotel Utopia experience a few times  along with Hse boats and renting apartments) and by far this was the best place we have stayed in going by first appearance.

Night Two:
After a hectic day out we went back to the boat to enjoy our second night. Our son was desperate to sleep in the raised bed in the sleeping area that night so we let him. Around 11.30pm we could smell an odd smell and assumed it was just a bit of paper in the ashtray. the smell didn’t go and after checking around the boat we still couldn’t find the source of the smell.
I then went to the sleeping area where my 5 year old was sound asleep with the curtains completely around the bed (see owners picture). When I pulled back the curtains I was hit with a plume of smoke - the bloody bed was on fire!

Panicking I dragged him out of bed checked he was ok and got him out of the boat , lucky my husband had just ran a bath so we put the burning duvet in the bath and dealt with the fire ourselves.
We then investigated what had caused the fire, the bedside light was the culprit which was placed on the low level shelf in the sleeping area. We also checked why the smoke alarm never alerted us to it… there wasn’t one!!!
My son had the light on before sleeping and had knocked it off the shelf in his sleep with the duvet. The light was powered by the wrong adaptor which basically turned the light into a live candle due to the high voltage being supplied to it. After airing the boat and repeatedly calling the owners different contact numbers to no avail we reluctantly returned inside to attempt some sleep some 2 or so hours later.

Night 3:
After 2 hours kip on the living room floor with one eye open we surveyed the damage to the covers in the light, we were amazed how our son had got away unhurt. We called the host again as the owners (Eric & Nina) were in Greece at the time. The host advised she had left and someone else was taking over and would be around later that day to deal with it.
I also text the owners that morning telling them a fire occurred whilst my son was in the bed due to the light, it took over an hour to get a response. Did they show any concern ask how he was, etc? No! Just a text stating “contact the host”!! Couple of texts on still no call or any concern about the fire came from the owners until my final text demanding my money back. Asking for my money back seemed to be more of a reason to call me than the fire itself!!??
What started out as a calm conversation with me explaining to Eric what had happened and how the fire had started soon turned into a twisted conversation. Eric the owner instantly accused us of the fire stating it was our fault for letting it happen!!! The fact they had placed the light by the bed and powered it through the wrong adapter apparently had nothing to do with them it was still our fault.
What struck me the most was he wasn’t in the slightest bit concerned about the fire or my son and just worried about his money. This man is more interested in making money than making his rented boats safe. Eric so desperate to continue with his lack of concern that he then stated “Well, if you were that bothered why stay there that night?” I’m not sure what Eric thought we could do at 2/3am in the morning with a 5 year old child other than walk the streets or stay in the boat we had rented under the impression it was safe.
When questioned about the lack of smoke alarms Eric seemed to think they were not required as people take the batteries out due to the boats being purely advertised as smoking boats? Please see previous reviews and the owners website - at no point are they advertised as “smoking boats”.
The owners might be a nice as pie when you’re giving them money but what I experienced was outright sick and what is wrong with this world. People are more interested in their own gains rather than the safety of their guests.
Eric couldn’t reason with the knowledge that he could have killed 3 people that night or even say sorry. None of the boats have smoke alarms which is against the law in Holland when renting commercial property. Eric was quite concerned about my visit to the fire station and so he should be. I hope they stop them trading until the boats are made 100% safe.

We could have all been killed if my husband and myself were asleep as well. How could we have been woken up when there isn’t a fire alarm to alert us to the danger?
When the holiday was booked it was originally for myself, my husband and 2 children - 4.5 month old and 5yrs. Unfortunately my 4.5 months old passport application was not sent by the post office on time which meant it failed to turn up for our holiday. We had to make the difficult decision to leave him with grandparents, all I can say angels were watching over us and there was a good reason why fate stopped him from going as he would have been in the same room as my elder son that night as well and I fear he wouldn’t have been able to deal with any repercussions of the fire in the same way.

I took a good look around the boat after the fire in the morning and what horrors I saw waiting to happen shocked me. It’s a death trap waiting to happen - the fire risk is severe and imminent. Some examples of this are: Lights wrapped to the plug in ribbon which is plugged in to the mains, oven hob next to wooden strut which has been set alight already along with the light that set fire to the bed my son was in.

We’re not like the owners and are not willing to just let something like this go unreported so prior to Eric calling me we spent our last day visiting the fire station located round the corner and spoke to them about the legality of lack of fire alarms in the boat. I showed the officers the pictures of the light plug and the damage to the bed covers, they were equally disgusted with the light and other items as us. They gave us 2 fire alarms so we had them in the boat for the last night (1 still hidden on the boat ) along with all the legal information I needed to report the boats at City Hall with the accommodation permit office so a fire investigation can proceed. After all they are the ones who have to get us out of these situations so not only do owners like this risk the lives of tourists they are putting firemen in danger as well.
We were so lucky that night it could have been a lot worse but someone else might not be as fortunate as us. I am posting this review so I hope I can prevent anyone from being killed, people’s lives should not be risked in an attempt to make money. I was given 170 euros refund for the night of the fire, the price I paid for each night. The fact we are all still alive is priceless! I just hope I don’t hear on the news one day someone has been killed here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AmsterdamLoveBoat, Owner at Amsterdam Love Houseboat, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear FFritz

I am very sorry, and still in shock about the fire on board, and can only imagine how you feel, when you think about what could have happened.

According to the experts (and your review), the fire was caused by a lamp that was burning in the bed, instead of hanging on the wall.
Lamps do not fall off walls into beds by themselves. The lamp was pulled with force from it s place, as well as the cap from the light bowl.

You have stayed on the boat, with a hyper active child, who was disturbing the check in, by running around and touching everything on board and not listening to you and the host.

The cleaners have found evidence that you have been smoking, drinking alcohol, and using drugs on board.

Being drunk and stoned, next to a child asleep, probably explains how it's possible not to notice fire / smoke only 1.5 meters away from you.

We have offered you a full refund for your stay, and asked you to leave.
But, you preferred to stay one more night !
On the "very dangerous" boat, which now, you advise others not to book!

Love boat is my home for 20 years now, and it s really important for me,
that our guests are happy and safe on board
I hope that this terrifying experience, will serve as a guardian for all future guests,
to be responsible and take care of my home, as it were theirs.

Warm regards from Amsterdam,
Nina
Owner of the Love HouseBoat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband kept this accommodation a secret from me. So naturally after arriving by train and wheeling our luggage up to some boats in a ghetto looking area I was quite alarmed.

The staff were friendly and explained everything clearly. They left a bottle of wine too.

Once we explored the city and retuned to experience our house boat you do love it!

It's quite cosy and cute on board. Beware you can only put toilet paper in the bin. You'll get use to it.

The only thing is when you're in a deep sleep and you wake up to somebody walking on top of your boat to get to their boat can freak you out.

The last night on the boat I was quite sad to leave :(

Really give this one a chance! It will leave a wonderful memory :)

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple