Just like the city, this is a quirky, atmospheric, friendly, odd, wonderful place. Incredibly close to Centraal, and therefore close to everything (because you can always grab a tram or hire a bike there even if you don't want to walk).
Some hints and tips:
- If you aren't used to sleeping on a boat, it really is worth bringing earplugs. After a few days you get used to the odd noises (bilge pumps, people walking over your boat, flotsam knocking on the hull) but if you are only there for a couple of nights it will help you sleep to have access to earplugs.
- it's an incredibly romantic boat, but if you are going there with a new love, consider how well you know them. Are you going to be happy sharing a bin for your toilet paper, or will that dampen your ardour?
- no need to bring books to read; there's a whole bookcase by the bed. Also free wifi, and about a million dvds.
- no need to bring plug adapters, UK people. They provide them too.
- there will be a bottle of wine waiting for you on arrival. I drank mine while in the bath, looking up at the stars.
We were there on one of the coldest spring days in recorded history, but the boat was cosy and the bathwater was piping hot. A wonderful base to explore the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amsterdam Love HouseBoat is a most beautiful and romantic large sea ship on top location in the heart of Amsterdam: Central Station, NieuwMarkt, Oosterdok, Red Light District, Dam Square, China Town, Waterloo Flea market, Nemo, the New Library... Are just a few minutes from your front door. Private parking,(upon request) large sun decks, free fast internet, bedlinen towels & kitchen utensils, fully furnished, smoking friendly and all the VIP services you wish for. ... more less