“Girls weekend in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Love Houseboat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amsterdam Love Houseboat
You added Amsterdam Love Houseboat to your Saves list
Oosterdok, 1011TE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Girls weekend in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Just back from a fabulous weekend with 16 girls staying in the Love and Music Houseboats.
Great location for walking around the city but quiet enough for a good sleep too. Boats are really well kitted out and very very comfortable - even when its cold.
Eric, the host, really went the extra mile to make sure we all had a weekend to remember.
An amazing place to stay in Amsterdam!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Halls Creek, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Love Boat is one half of a small sea boat located very near to Amsterdam's Central Station, and part of a small complex of canal boats (and the one sea boat). This is easily the most atmospheric yet fully functioning accommodation I've ever stayed in. A cute kitchen means that small meals like breakfast are easily self-catered, the bed is very comfy, there is a bath, shower and toilet, it's heated and its right in the heart of Centraal. Quiet, lovely, wooden boat with a steepish stair that soon become lots of fun and table and chairs on deck to enjoy the outdoors. Eric the host explained how it all works and gave us a quick rundown on Amsterdam - it was our first trip. I loved loved loved Amsterdam - a city where grown-ups go to play - and I loved the Love Boat.

Room Tip: There's only one Love Boat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed in the Love and Rose houseboats in July and had a fantastic stay, and I am already dreaming of coming back... The boats are really close to Centraal Station, but far enough from traffic that it is really peaceful and relaxed. I'm glad we decided to stay somewhere central, as it was really easy to get everywhere on foot. The Nieuwemarkt area is lovely, we bought some delicious food from the Saturday farmers market. There's also a supermarket, bars, the Cotton Club jazz, and Chinatown (lots of restaraunts and takeaways) less than 10 minutes away. We loved the independence and homely feeling from staying in a private boat.
The Love boat was amazing, full of character, and much bigger that it seemed from the photographs. I notice that a previous reviewer didn't like the boat- but we had no complaints. It certainly was not dirty, and nothing was "sticky." It didn't have any bad smells, or smokiness. The boat toilet is fine, it really isn't a big deal. We had no issues with noise, or being woken up by other people walking in the boat, and I know the gentlemen on the boat next to us were out on the town till the early morning (we know becuase we chatted to them over a beer on deck!).
Also it is clearly not a bad area!! None of the owner's boats are rusty, maybe the nearby boats had a bit of rust, but nothing like a trailer park- I thought it was a nice area. It is easy enough to check the area on Google street view, which we did before we arrived. We were sent information on absolutely everything before we arrived, so we knew exactly how to get there and what to expect (the boats are exactly as shown in the many pictures). Nina showed us around, and was lovely.
Our stay on the Rose boat was also fantastic- but I felt I had to defend Love as we loved it so much! 10/10

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spent 4 night in the music boat and it was a great experience. It was the fourth time that I come in Amsterdam and for me it was the best place to be.

The location is perfect, you just need 5-10 minutes by walk to come from the central station.

The owners is very nice and helpful. The houseboat is spacious and clean.

So just rent this houseboat and a bike, and then you can enjoy your holiday and spend some good time to visit Amsterdam.
It s so much better than an hotel, because you really enjoy the real AMSTERDAM and not the fake one.

Live like a Dutch and make a good choice, you won’t regret it ;)

Room Tip: The music boat is nice for two couple or some friends ;) If you are just one couple choose the lov...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on new loveboat from thursday untill sunday, and we very much enjoyed our stay.

We were 8 people on the boat and it was not to small infact, it was just the right size.
When we came on thursday we got a very nice and entusiastic welcome from Eric, one of the owners. A very serviceminded man.

He took his time and ecsplaned us the things we needed to know and how to have fun in Amsterdam, were to go and what to see. Very food.

I also liked the fact that you were so close to everything. Ad that you had other boats next to you, nice people you can connect with.

All in all. I would very much recommend a stay here, a fun and original way of staying in a big city.

Cheers from Norway.... :-)

• Stayed September 2012
Granby, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The reviews of this boat are all outstanding so I really feel like the odd one out. It really could be a beautiful boat but, never having been to Amsterdam before, I guess I didn't know what to expect. When we got there and saw the area where the boats are, with all of the old and rusty boats, it reminded me of an old trailer park for boats or a boat graveyard. There was one nice, new houseboat there and it belonged to the owner of the Love. The location is very central to the train and trams. I give it average for location because it's great centrally but it's a very run down looking area.

We had made arrangements in advance for our arrival time and provided our flight information. When we arrived, the boat was not ready and they acted surprised that we were there. We were told to leave our belongings with the cleaning people and come back later. This made me a little bit nervous but everything was fine. When we returned the owner took time to show us how everything worked on the boat, made some suggestions of restaurants, and even left us a map with important things noted on it. She was truly helpful and friendly.

The boat's restroom facilities are typical of a boat or travel toilet, except that you are not allowed to put any toilet paper in the toilet. All paper must be kept in a bag and then taken out. This would not be terrible at camp but not what one would expect for something marketed as luxury.

There were a lot of rugs and fabric things that appear to be fairly surface clean but there are obvious smells on the boat and things had that sticky sort of feeling. Everyone knows what goes on in Amsterdam but I suspect that much of the smell was also due to cigarette smoke.

One of the owner's other boats is docked just next to this boat so all night we heard people literally walking over us to get to the next boat or the cabin above us on our boat. It was very loud. We did not sleep much the night we were there, but did catch some afternoon sleep time when other people must have been out. There was also a noise from some sort of pump that seemed to be on most of the time.

When I rented the boat, I also did not realize that the "Love" is just the lower part of the boat and another advertised boat is the upper part of the boat. The part of the boat in the picture above is NOT part of the Love boat. If you want the whole boat, you'd need to rent both. We had rented and paid for the Love for a few days but ended up leaving and going to the Amrath for a lot more money. The owner did offer us a credit for a night if we were to ever return.

The owner was nice and I've put off making a review because I felt a bit badly but I wish someone had mentioned these things before me. Maybe the other reviewers are young partiers and I'm just an old party pooper with allergies? The wood on the boat is really beautiful and it really could be quite some boat but I'm not sure how much would have to be removed to get rid of the permanent smell inside. If you have allergies or asthma, it's not a really workable situation.

I really wish it was a better outcome. It was the place I most looked forward to on my trip and the place that was most disappointing. It's sad to say that I was glad this was the last stop on our amazing European trip, as it made it a lot easier to go home.

If you are aware of these things before you go, it might not be as bad. If you have no allergies, don't mind that "lived in" feel and want privacy to have fun, this is a very cool place to stay.

Room Tip: The Love is the lower section of the boat.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
AmsterdamLoveBoat, Owner at Amsterdam Love Houseboat, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Jennifer,
I was very sorry that the LOVE boat did not match your expectations. That you left for the Amrath hotel the next day, -one of the most luxurious and expensive hotels in town-, probably does say something about your expectations on arrival.

By the way: Amrath is our first neighbour, only 30 meters away, exactly in the same area which you describe as a "very run down looking area" in your review (!)

Our boats are surrounded by outstanding hotels (Amrath, Double Tree Hilton) and by brand new and famous buildings (New Library, Conservatorium, Nemo, Maritime Museum) as well as typical Amsterdam houses and monuments. The views from our decks are really spectacular. So, I guess, what you actually did not like about the area must be... the houseboats!

You wrote: "There was one nice, new houseboat there….". Apart from the fact that the boat that you are pointing at is one of the oldest in Amsterdam, (with new outside decorations, which might have confused you), this houseboat does not even look like a boat, it looks like a house on water.
Next to it, there is a historical sailing ship, with all the original details, freshly painted by the owners and most photographed by tourists for its beauty. Like the Love boat is, as one of the few original sea ships in Amsterdam. Obviously not your thing :-).

The charm of (living on) houseboats is that they are all different, like their owners are. The variety of historical and hysterical boats; original or designed by architects; sailing boats, motor boats, expensive or almost sinking, completely tattooed with rust or painted every year; with or without masts, hammocks, gardens, strange solutions to hide from the sun, or shower outside, store bikes or even cars on board ... that is why people come to see this area, to photograph it, and why many want to experience how it is to live in such a freedom, creativity and in this unique way.

Tue, living on water is not always as one imagines, and definitely not comparable to a 5 star hotel: boats move; boats make noises; boats have pumps; boats have other people living on boats, who are walking over your boat; boats have to be painted and when a neighbour does this, it smells; even the very luxurious boats -the fancy cruise ships-, do not want you to throw toilet paper in the toilet, nothing to do with their luxury categories, but with the basic nature of what boats are: not 'a normal' place to live in!
Life on boats is full of disadvantages, but it's also the biggest fun and freedom, and this goes together, like sailing and wind, like sea and waves. When there is a storm in winter time in our area, the guests of the Amrath hotel can sleep on; we, boat people have to wake up to check the ropes. Different worlds, but hey, different prices also.

You have booked the Love boat January 12th, but you cancelled the booking 3 days later. Obviously you did not see all the photos on our website before booking.
In your cancellation email you wrote: "I was very excited... until I saw the stairs. I've been really having panic about it for the past couple of days.... I wish it said on the page I saw that there were steep stairs… "

Obviously you did not read the text on our website about the stairs.
The main message of your review is that Love boat is a cool place to stay if you would have known things in advance.
I am not sure how come that you did not know in advance.

• The information about the steep stairs is given on our website. Including photos of the stairs. Sure, it’s possible that one misses something out before booking, so I advised you to stay on the ROSE boat, -that is the name of the 'one nice new houseboat' in our area-, but you decided to rebook the Love.
• The information about the check in time, -after 14h-, is not only given on our website and in the booking papers sent to you, but I have also written several emails to you saying that there are other guests staying till 11h and that the cleaners have to clean the boat first, before you can check in.
• The information about our boats being smoking friendly is given on the home page of our website and a special chapter about do's and don't s of smoking and drugs (ab)use is included in the information sent to you after booking.
• The information about the pump and toilet paper is given on the first page of the Instructions Manual sent to you…

Almost everything that you are mentioning in the review is posted on our website, or described in the 5 pages Instructions Manual sent to you after booking, or both.

I really do not know what we could have done even more, to inform you.

Your review brings down our ratings, not happy with that, but I am also glad that you have posted it. As for us, there is nothing worse than to have unhappy guests on board.
Once in 5 years a guest arrives who does not like boats, does not like water and is even afraid (!) of the wind, waves, or stairs. And who no matter what is posted on the website, expects a sea ship to be more like a hotel than a unique extraordinary home of a individual. I hope your review will contribute to prevent future guests from having wrong expectations.
We want our guests to be happy and are truly sorry we could not make you happy.
Warm regards from Amsterdam, Nina
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great boat ,great location if you want to feel like one of the locals this is the place to be. The only thing this boat is missing is two bikes but we hired them anyway and that's recommended, an easy way to see a huge part of the city at little cost.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Love Houseboat? Share your experiences!