“The best weekend in years!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Love Houseboat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amsterdam Love Houseboat
Oosterdok, Amsterdam 1011TE, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Special Offer
Dear Guest!
“The best weekend in years!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed on new loveboat from thursday untill sunday, and we very much enjoyed our stay.

We were 8 people on the boat and it was not to small infact, it was just the right size.
When we came on thursday we got a very nice and entusiastic welcome from Eric, one of the owners. A very serviceminded man.

He took his time and ecsplaned us the things we needed to know and how to have fun in Amsterdam, were to go and what to see. Very food.

I also liked the fact that you were so close to everything. Ad that you had other boats next to you, nice people you can connect with.

All in all. I would very much recommend a stay here, a fun and original way of staying in a big city.

Cheers from Norway.... :-)

• Stayed September 2012

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Granby, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The reviews of this boat are all outstanding so I really feel like the odd one out. It really could be a beautiful boat but, never having been to Amsterdam before, I guess I didn't know what to expect. When we got there and saw the area where the boats are, with all of the old and rusty boats, it reminded me of an old trailer park for boats or a boat graveyard. There was one nice, new houseboat there and it belonged to the owner of the Love. The location is very central to the train and trams. I give it average for location because it's great centrally but it's a very run down looking area.

We had made arrangements in advance for our arrival time and provided our flight information. When we arrived, the boat was not ready and they acted surprised that we were there. We were told to leave our belongings with the cleaning people and come back later. This made me a little bit nervous but everything was fine. When we returned the owner took time to show us how everything worked on the boat, made some suggestions of restaurants, and even left us a map with important things noted on it. She was truly helpful and friendly.

The boat's restroom facilities are typical of a boat or travel toilet, except that you are not allowed to put any toilet paper in the toilet. All paper must be kept in a bag and then taken out. This would not be terrible at camp but not what one would expect for something marketed as luxury.

There were a lot of rugs and fabric things that appear to be fairly surface clean but there are obvious smells on the boat and things had that sticky sort of feeling. Everyone knows what goes on in Amsterdam but I suspect that much of the smell was also due to cigarette smoke.

One of the owner's other boats is docked just next to this boat so all night we heard people literally walking over us to get to the next boat or the cabin above us on our boat. It was very loud. We did not sleep much the night we were there, but did catch some afternoon sleep time when other people must have been out. There was also a noise from some sort of pump that seemed to be on most of the time.

When I rented the boat, I also did not realize that the "Love" is just the lower part of the boat and another advertised boat is the upper part of the boat. The part of the boat in the picture above is NOT part of the Love boat. If you want the whole boat, you'd need to rent both. We had rented and paid for the Love for a few days but ended up leaving and going to the Amrath for a lot more money. The owner did offer us a credit for a night if we were to ever return.

The owner was nice and I've put off making a review because I felt a bit badly but I wish someone had mentioned these things before me. Maybe the other reviewers are young partiers and I'm just an old party pooper with allergies? The wood on the boat is really beautiful and it really could be quite some boat but I'm not sure how much would have to be removed to get rid of the permanent smell inside. If you have allergies or asthma, it's not a really workable situation.

I really wish it was a better outcome. It was the place I most looked forward to on my trip and the place that was most disappointing. It's sad to say that I was glad this was the last stop on our amazing European trip, as it made it a lot easier to go home.

If you are aware of these things before you go, it might not be as bad. If you have no allergies, don't mind that "lived in" feel and want privacy to have fun, this is a very cool place to stay.

Room Tip: The Love is the lower section of the boat.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
AmsterdamLoveBoat, Owner at Amsterdam Love Houseboat, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Jennifer,
I was very sorry that the LOVE boat did not match your expectations. That you left for the Amrath hotel the next day, -one of the most luxurious and expensive hotels in town-, probably does say something about your expectations on arrival.

By the way: Amrath is our first neighbour, only 30 meters away, exactly in the same area which you describe as a "very run down looking area" in your review (!)

Our boats are surrounded by outstanding hotels (Amrath, Double Tree Hilton) and by brand new and famous buildings (New Library, Conservatorium, Nemo, Maritime Museum) as well as typical Amsterdam houses and monuments. The views from our decks are really spectacular. So, I guess, what you actually did not like about the area must be... the houseboats!

You wrote: "There was one nice, new houseboat there….". Apart from the fact that the boat that you are pointing at is one of the oldest in Amsterdam, (with new outside decorations, which might have confused you), this houseboat does not even look like a boat, it looks like a house on water.
Next to it, there is a historical sailing ship, with all the original details, freshly painted by the owners and most photographed by tourists for its beauty. Like the Love boat is, as one of the few original sea ships in Amsterdam. Obviously not your thing :-).

The charm of (living on) houseboats is that they are all different, like their owners are. The variety of historical and hysterical boats; original or designed by architects; sailing boats, motor boats, expensive or almost sinking, completely tattooed with rust or painted every year; with or without masts, hammocks, gardens, strange solutions to hide from the sun, or shower outside, store bikes or even cars on board ... that is why people come to see this area, to photograph it, and why many want to experience how it is to live in such a freedom, creativity and in this unique way.

Tue, living on water is not always as one imagines, and definitely not comparable to a 5 star hotel: boats move; boats make noises; boats have pumps; boats have other people living on boats, who are walking over your boat; boats have to be painted and when a neighbour does this, it smells; even the very luxurious boats -the fancy cruise ships-, do not want you to throw toilet paper in the toilet, nothing to do with their luxury categories, but with the basic nature of what boats are: not 'a normal' place to live in!
Life on boats is full of disadvantages, but it's also the biggest fun and freedom, and this goes together, like sailing and wind, like sea and waves. When there is a storm in winter time in our area, the guests of the Amrath hotel can sleep on; we, boat people have to wake up to check the ropes. Different worlds, but hey, different prices also.

You have booked the Love boat January 12th, but you cancelled the booking 3 days later. Obviously you did not see all the photos on our website before booking.
In your cancellation email you wrote: "I was very excited... until I saw the stairs. I've been really having panic about it for the past couple of days.... I wish it said on the page I saw that there were steep stairs… "

Obviously you did not read the text on our website about the stairs.
The main message of your review is that Love boat is a cool place to stay if you would have known things in advance.
I am not sure how come that you did not know in advance.

• The information about the steep stairs is given on our website. Including photos of the stairs. Sure, it’s possible that one misses something out before booking, so I advised you to stay on the ROSE boat, -that is the name of the 'one nice new houseboat' in our area-, but you decided to rebook the Love.
• The information about the check in time, -after 14h-, is not only given on our website and in the booking papers sent to you, but I have also written several emails to you saying that there are other guests staying till 11h and that the cleaners have to clean the boat first, before you can check in.
• The information about our boats being smoking friendly is given on the home page of our website and a special chapter about do's and don't s of smoking and drugs (ab)use is included in the information sent to you after booking.
• The information about the pump and toilet paper is given on the first page of the Instructions Manual sent to you…

Almost everything that you are mentioning in the review is posted on our website, or described in the 5 pages Instructions Manual sent to you after booking, or both.

I really do not know what we could have done even more, to inform you.

Your review brings down our ratings, not happy with that, but I am also glad that you have posted it. As for us, there is nothing worse than to have unhappy guests on board.
Once in 5 years a guest arrives who does not like boats, does not like water and is even afraid (!) of the wind, waves, or stairs. And who no matter what is posted on the website, expects a sea ship to be more like a hotel than a unique extraordinary home of a individual. I hope your review will contribute to prevent future guests from having wrong expectations.
We want our guests to be happy and are truly sorry we could not make you happy.
Warm regards from Amsterdam, Nina
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great boat ,great location if you want to feel like one of the locals this is the place to be. The only thing this boat is missing is two bikes but we hired them anyway and that's recommended, an easy way to see a huge part of the city at little cost.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My girlsfriend and i, went for at trip to Amsterdam in december. It was my girlfriend who found HouseBoatForRentAmsterdam, and it was worth every penny and more. We rented the love boat, the boat it self was cosy, clean and very romantic.

When we arrived we met up with the host who showed us how everything worked in the boat, toilet, kitchen etc. We spend 45 minutes with the host where he gave us a mini guide over Amsterdam, explaining where to find the good restaurant, museums and other nice attractions. Very nice service!!

The hosts was available 24/7, so we felt in good hands.

When it was time to leave we returned the key and got our full deposit back. We went to the airport and yeah, the thing that only happens in the movies: we missed our flight (one week in Amsterdam, does something to you :-/ ). In schiphol airport with no places to go, i called HouseBoatForRent to ask if it was posible to stay for one more night. And there answar was: Off course, poor you come home to Amsterdam!

So when we came back to the houseboat there was a bottle of redwine, and fresh towels for us. And because there was two days for the new arrivals we got it free of charges. Service totally amazing!

When i'll come back to Amsterdam, this i the only places i want to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I thought I submitted a review for this long ago, but do not see it posted. My husband and I are frequent visitors to Amsterdam. We have stayed at many of the top hotels and talked about staying in a houseboat for years. We stayed in the Love Houseboat for a little under two weeks in fall of 2010 and had the most amazing time.

The location is great, especially if you already know the city a bit. Close to the rail station, major shopping areas and residential areas. Public transport is abundant and a great super market it less than 5 minutes away on foot. There is little you can't do here on foot.

The hosts are delightful. Plenty of little touches like a welcome letter, a delicious chocolate cake and free internet. Heat and hot water work great. The bath tub is wonderful and the bed was very comfy. We really felt at home here.

A great bonus was being there on the day Sinter Klass arrived by tugboat and led the holiday parade through the streets. We had a perfect view from our boat while sipping our morning coffee.

Thank you for our most memorable Amsterdam stay to date. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Metz, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

If you want to live Amsterdam like an aMsterdammer, you should book an houseboat. and which one could e better than this one? Private houseboat appartment, located 5mn to Red Light district, 5 mn to Central station where you can take the tramway for all excursions in the city.
Where else can you be welcome like a frined by the owner? Where else can you feel like at home while being hundred of kilometers from your real house? Stop looking at every website, just go to boatforrentamsterdam.com , heaven is at the corner!
Thanks to you Nina for that exceptional stay in amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Me and my fella stayed on the Rose this weekend just gone (march 2012)! The location is excellent, and we walked pretty much everywhere 3 minutes walk from centraal station. Nina let us check in early. I kept the fact we were staying on a boat as a surprise and it was such a relief when i saw how nice it was. This isn't just somewhere to stay and any old plain standard hotel room its an experience. Clean/comfortable/homely. Fantastic! Thank you so much for the greatest weekend we have had in a long time! We want to come back and rent the other boats with a big group of us. Definitely worth my 5 star rating. x

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Love Houseboat? Share your experiences!