“Unique concept, cute hotel room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Exchange

Save Saved
You added Hotel The Exchange to your Saves list
Hotel The Exchange
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 50, 1012 LL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #95 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Montreal, Canada
“Unique concept, cute hotel room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My room was a 3* one with 2 windows opening to a brick wall and the roof of another building. It was like a dorm room with a double bed, an IKEA-like rack for hanging about 6 items of clothing and blue carpet on the walls and ceiling. There was a separate room for the bathroom and one for the sink and shower. Mind you, the shower/sink is a wet bath, every where gets wet and it smelled a bit like sweat. I had to pay in advance, which I found was odd, as every other hotel I stayed at, I paid at the end of my stay. If you're looking for a place to crash, this hotel is ok, but if you're planning on staying longer or if you have a lot of luggage, look somewhere else. My 3* room would be too small for two people. It was even too small for one person. There was no central lighting, just a light above the landing at the entrance and 2 bedside lamps. A bit dim.

This hotel is not like a traditional hotel with lobby, or business centre. It's possible to even miss the entrance to this hotel as you just see a door. It is tucked away between the Stock restaurant and a halal restaurant. A narrow hallway leads to the reception in cubicle. The surroundings of the main entrance was a bit crowded, as there were tables and chairs outside, so you sort of have to navigate through whatever space is left.

My room had stairs leading to the door, then stairs leading to the bedroom. So if you have a lot of luggage, even the wheeled luggage won't help you out. On the upside, my room was quiet and clean and I even had a change of towels even though I did not request my room to be cleaned. The location is a plus, as it is a few steps away from Central Station and on the same street as the tram line, it is in the heart of all the tourist attractions.

Yes there was not storage, no closet, no desk or chair (I put my laptop on the bed). And no A/C, just a fan. The website doesn't really reveal much in a way of amenities--check tripadvisor or expedia.

For the same price, it's possible to find a room at a 'traditional' type hotel offering more: a regular bathroom, storage, business centre, table, chairs, mini-fridge, kettle, coffee maker, AC. For my next stay in Amsterdam, I would book somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Hotel The Exchange is closer to a hostel than a hotel.

It is very well-situated -- just a 5-minute walk from the train station -- and reasonably priced.

But the rooms are weird, uncomfortable, and not suited for someone with a suitcase. I paid 50 Euros for early check-in but the 4 rooms they showed me were all drenched in broad daylight. What hotel doesn't have curtains or blinds?

The hotel bills wants to see itself as a designer boutique but the decor is cheap, flimsy and feels very thrown together. There are no amenities whatsoever.

Room Tip: You must ask for a room at the back if you want to sleep at all. It won't be quiet, just not as...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Over many years I have suffered with the hotels in Amsterdam - lack of cleanliness, bad decor, difficult access, soft/saggy mattresses , noise etc.....and then I found Hotel The Exchange.
For me personally important is -

1. First greeting on arrival - this was taken care of by Steven, who was welcoming, charming, friendly and dealt with my check-inn very professionally.

2. Cleanliness - the room was spotless & sparkling - something difficult to find in most hotels around the world! BIG gold star

3. The bed - The king bed was AmAzInG! - Considering most beds in Holland (for some reason??) are on the softer side of Soggy...A big complaint in the NH Hotel group - the bed at Hotel The Exchange was perfect along with the big comfy pillows and plain white good thread bedlinen - Thank you Thank you.

4. The Bathroom - Once again sparklingly clean - I believe most hotels with lack of space (in other words most city hotels) should opt for the "wet-room" concept - great shower without the mangy shower-curtain contraption - and the tiles on the walls - OH my - functional and beautiful :)

My room was a 2* room, and that was mainly because it didn't face the Damrak (the main street where it is situated) - for me this was a blessing (Thank you Steven for booking me in here) as it was quiet, but for the sound of Amsterdam bells chiming (who doesn't like the sound of a well-tuned bell?!!). This room 602 also had 2 windows which created a thru-breeze on the warm days I spent there. The room and others I viewed are not large nor luxurious. Instead they are works of Art - installations of 21st Century modern, funky, creative spaces where you return after a day of adventuring Amsterdam - they have everything - Wi-Fi, Flat screen TV & Satellite chanels, phone in room, Fantastic safe/draws).

On arrival, I was a little disappointed at the lack of closet space - however, after assessing the hotel "philosophy" that I witnessed in several of the rooms I encountered, as well as the common parts and adjoining cafe & shop; I understood that this was actually secondary to the comfort of my stay. I did witness an irrate Canadian woman - freaking out that she had nowhere to store her clothes - PLEASE don't stay here (or most funky city hotels in the world) if you want drawers & wardrobes or full length mirrors - I got over it very quickly when I observed all the other awesome benefits of this hotel.

On day 3 I wanted my boyfriend to join me and experience Hotel The Exchange - Sadly my room was already booked by someone else; Happily it offered me the opportunity to view some of the other rooms that were available. Rosanna - front of house manager on duty, was delightful in assisting me with possibilities - Lou (please forgive spelling of names) was equally professional, friendly and giving of her time in showing me the various room possibilites - WoW! - so much to choose from, and certainly one that would suit everyone's taste and budget . We chose a super-fabby-Marie Antoinette goes Dutch in a contemporary setting room 403 which was apparently a 3* room - Really the only difference in 2-4 stars seemed to be the location (Damrak or not) - note even the price changed too dramatically - I didn't get to see the 5* rooms,but don't get hooked into star rating at this establishment - ALL the rooms are fairly 5 star for a city hotel simply due to how the spaces have been lovingly and creatively executed.
Do go to the website, or do some searches on interiors of each 61 rooms as well as the great little adjoining cafe (with tasty healthy options) & lovely "design"store where you can pick up interesting, fun & charming design bits, all well sourced. All I am left with is a huge enormous Thank You to the people who conceptualised this for Amsterdam, and work lovingly at maintaining the service and site - I will continue to stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect, right next to the central station, the river cruises and the main road in the city center. The rooms were really small (we booked a 2 star room) but clean and in good condition as well as the very comfortable beds and pillows.

Room Tip: 2 star rooms are quite small and have no special design as shown, room 224 and 324 next to the stair...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Namur, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Nicely situated not far from train station not far from the Dam square, not too noisy in the evening but not exceptional as shown on pictures, some sleeping rooms are plain nothing special in decoration (especially room 505) - may be because not directly booked with the hotel but booked online through a promotional channel....then you do not get the best rooms ever ?...
Chip card payment or credit cards...No cash - this might be a problem you need to know it....same for the breakfast next door all payable by chip card

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel The Exchange? Share your experiences!