“Great Stay for Long Weekend in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South

You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   George Gershwinlaan 101, 1082 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #22 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Stay for Long Weekend in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Stayed at the hotel for an extended weekend in Amsterdam. Had an excellent stay. The staff was the best that I have experienced at any hotel during my travels. Every single person was friendly and went over the top to make you feel welcome and provide great service. Hotel was immaculate - very clean, quiet and comfortable. The location is in a business area, away from the center of the city but steps from the train, Metro, Tram and buses. Very easy access to downtown, airport, etc. Loved the Run kiosk that they had in the lobby with suggested running routes. Would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

For my trip to Amsterdam I was told to book the Crowne Plaza South since its quite a new Hotel and offers good service. So I did. Check in was friendly and polite, the gentleman took the time to explain how to get to the city by bicycle (30min) and gave us a nice room. Before heading out to the city my boyfriend and I took a drink at the outside terrace of the hotel and smoked a cigarette while enjoying a beer and wine. After a while we started to smell marihuana somewhere around and laughed about it. Seconds later the waiter approaches us and asks us "are u folks smoking a joint out here?!" We deny and feel more than ashamed because the other table turns around to look at us. He tells us that in general its not allowed to smoke marihuana on the hotels property. Now here is the part that upset me: I can only imagine that a lot of guests come here for the drug tourism and enjoy to smoke a joint on the hotels property, and I can also understand that it is not allowed to do so and can completely understand that the staff approach guests in order to tell them so. What I cannot understand is how u approach a guest directly, without double checking or making sure 100%that the guest is doing something that is not allowed. Maybe in Holland it is more than normal to be asked questions like that but we felt embarrassed and couldn't understand why we were even the only ones being asked such thing, when there was a group of (maybe that was why they were not approached) business man also smoking cigarettes on the porch. Maybe because we looked younger.Anyways, its a shame that this happened because I really liked the hotel and had an amazing good night sleep. The reception team was always friendly, room service was quick and yummy. The location is a little bit outside the city and u can take the train or bike to the city centre in 30min. I find it sad to have encountered that incident since I felt like my money is not worth here since I am being treated as a youngster.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
CPSouth, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Please accept my apologies for the situation experienced during your stay. Our staff was purely trying to be informative and I am very sorry to read that this came across differently. We will discuss this internally.

I will appreciate it if you could take the time to share your feedback directly with me. Please contact me at your convenience, my email address is nienke.veldman@ihg.com.

Nienke Veldman
Management Assistant
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Absolutely fantastic hotel - Staff were consistently amazing, it is not easy to train every single one of your employees to consistently feel like they want to be of service to you. Service is simply 6 stars all round.

Room was extremely clean (spotless!), spacious, smells refresh, modern and well equipped. Very hard to find a fault. The TV has many global and especially British channels. Wifi is in all locations, free and strong (no limitations). Tea and coffee facilities and safe in room as well as plush bathrobes, slippers and iron/board. Many pillow and duvet options available on request. Everything you would expect from a Full Service Crown Plaza.

Full breakfast is available and is excellent (including made to order lattes!! and egg options - incl Omelettes with your choice of ingredients), however this is expensive if not included as part of the package (so look for an option that includes this).

While location is out of the central city (located in a business park), the No.5 tram outside the mainline Amsterdam Zuid station is frequent and easily connects the hotel directly to many key central locations including the museums (10 min), Leidsplein and Amsterdam Centraal. The direct connection to Schiphol Airport by train is only 10 min, very convenient overall for business or leisure. Zuid is also a metro stop.

My only gripe would be that the hot water pressure is not quite sufficient for such a new and upscale hotel.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for writing your most kind review.

We could not be happier to read your well written comments which beautifully summed up all that is best about Crowne Plaza Amsterdam - South. It is very rewarding to know that we have exceeded your expectations on your recent stay. Your great feedback will be shared to the rest of the team.

We would love to have you again when you come to Amsterdam next time and I am sure your experience will be just as great as this time.

Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Upon walking through the airy, immaculate lobby to the check-in, I was greeted by friendly staff who quickly switched to flawless English upon hearing me. Even though I was early, my room was available immediately. This was not a cracker-box room; it had plenty of room with large, wide windows, The bed was comfortable, and the shower was hot with good water pressure.

It's a very easy 2-3 minute walk to the metro or tram station, which will take you anywhere you want to go. Inexpensive GVB Day passes allow you the use of all public transportation for 1 to 7 days. All the metros were on time, but the tram schedules were unreliable.

All-in-all it was a delightful experience.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Dear valued guest,

Thank you taking the time to write a review about the hotel.

Our carefully designed and equipped rooms combine the aspects that are needed to relax and re-energise. Sound proof doors, luxurious bedding and aromatherapy are just a few of the features of our Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage programme, which has been designed to make you drift off easier and allow you to have sweet dreams.

Great as well that you discovered the city centre by using public transport. You can catch this tram at Station Amsterdam Zuid, 5 minutes walking from the hotel, from where it leads you through the historic city centre, over the canals while passing by many famous sights and has Amsterdam Central Station as a final stop.

We hope to welcome you as our guest soon again when business or leisure brings you back to Amsterdam.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Needed an escape from the busy London life. This hotel is on the outskirts of Amsterdam so you dont need to be in the busy centre. The overall service was great - friendly staff, efficient service and a decent room. As an IHG member you get free wifi and other complimentary stuff so that is always good. Highly recommend this hotel if you do not want to sleep in the centre of Amsterdam. It is situated 10 minutes from the airport. Coming back to the hotel after a night out can be challenging but the staff are there to answer any questions. A taxi is actually around £18.00. Will definitely return for another break soon

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for being one of our highly valued guests and for rewarding us with your kind words and high rating.

It is great that you discovered the benefits of our location outside the city centre of Amsterdam. The proximity of Schiphol Amsterdam Airport and available tram and metro connections between Station Amsterdam Zuid and the city centre make the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South an ideal choice for a business or leisure stay. Tram 5, running from Station Amsterdam Zuid to the Central Station, passes by many tourist attractions and is a great way to discover the historic centre.

We are grateful that you took the time to inform us about your stay and look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Toddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I haven't yet worked why I enjoyed staying here. I generally head out of hotels in the evening for supper but having had a great reception eating in the restaurant the first night felt compelled to try it the second night of my stay. The food and service was just as good, well cooked and presented food served by friendly staff. Rooms are okay for the price and the other staff are professional and polite. Small downer was the team in the restaurant for breakfast on my last morning. Just not as good as their colleagues

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for making the effort to review our hotel.

We are doing our utmost best to keep the quality of the breakfast on a high level, so thank you very much for your feedback. Thank you very much for your kind words about the dinner.

We hope to give you a warm welcome again another time.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Absolutely love the place, it is in a nice spot not too far from City centre and close enough to the airport.

Staff at the reception were just brilliant and made me feel and my friends very welcome.

Guys in the bar were equally good, food was amazing, and their knowledge of cocktails just perfect. Breakfast in the morning was just right nothing crazy but it did hit the spot.

I will recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to learn that our rooms and staff made a very good impression on you. Our quiet location is unique as Amsterdam Schiphol International Airport, the RAI Convention Center and the city centre are only a few minutes away by public transport.

After a good night’s sleep a nutritious breakfast is the perfect way to re-energise and prepare for a productive day.

Your compliments about the staff have been shared with the entire team. I would like to thank you very much again for you very kind review.

Nicole Turnhout - Ammerlaan

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South? Share your experiences!