“Never thought I would write a review, but I had to.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South

You added Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   George Gershwinlaan 101, 1082 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #21 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York
“Never thought I would write a review, but I had to.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

....., just because I had a wonderful, amazing, great stay at this Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam.
I am not the kind of person to write reviews or comments when I travel. I travel a lot let me tell you. a minimum of 170 nights a year. I have seen excellent hotels and some that are not excellent, to put it in nice words. But this one is amazing. Not fancy or breathtaking, that is not what I look for when I travel. It is just the pure symbiosis of spacious rooms (that are very well maintained, spacious as I had just a standard room, the beds are to die for) and very polite, honest and kind staff. At check in I was warmly welcomed by a very polite young lady (Julia, I believe) she explained everything with a constant smile and even managed to find my priority number. She even told me I was a Platinum member, and right away gave me free Internet and a free drink for at the bar..., what about that?? I loved it. Plus an other staff member brought me to the room and was funny as hell. Never in my life I laughed so much at a check in and enjoyed it so much. Just great staff they have at that hotel. It felt like being among friends.
I went to the bar at one night and it was good too. Steven, a guy with a fancy haircut, was very polite and would make a great barkeeper all over the world. A shame they did not have more international drafts, but hey once in Holland you should drink Heineken anyways.
It was a gift to come back after work and return to the hotel, people greeted me by name, welcomed me as soon as I set a foot into the lobby. One morning I asked for a wake up call, but I was so deep a sleep that I did not hear it, and they even came up to knock at the door, to make sure I would wake up. Once in Singapore they made me miss my flight because of that, but here just great service. The connections to the airport are just perfect, within 10 minutes and a train later you are at the airport. I did not try the gym, but a dude at the bar told me it was brand new. Breakfast was great, all you need not to fancy and will give you a great start into your day. All in all it was great and just fun to stay there. They really have people there that make a difference (I hope the management knows), plus its a nice hotel as well. If I might get a chance to go back to Amsterdam one day, the Crowne Plaza will be my choice......, well this is why I had to write this review....! My first and last I guess, but worth sharing with the world I thought.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear valued guest,

It has been an absolute pleasure to read your engaging Tripadvisor review and we are extremely happy that you made the exception to write one this time.

Being a frequent traveller and away from home many nights per year, the ideal situation would be to stay in hotels that give you a homely, comfortable feeling, have well designed rooms and a variety of facilities. But all of that should not necessarily be the formula to a successful stay. That is where staff members can make the difference.

It was therefore fantastic to read your kind and complimentary words about our staff members and that they have been able to make your trip a success and make you feel comfortable at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South.

At the Intercontinental Hotels Group, we believe in “Room to be yourself”. That means that we try to find out how we can find the right personality for the right part of the business and how we can help our employees to develop their potential. We therefore aim to attract social, dynamic and confident people that love to deliver great service so our guests can re-energise and be more productive during their trip. At Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South we are extremely proud to have formed a team of people that carry out this thought.

Thank you once again for writing the review every hotel hopes to receive. It would be an honour and pleasure for us to welcome you as our guest again and to make your stay as memorable as your last stay.

Ingrid van Veen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Kiel, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Crowne Plaza Zuid is an excellent value for money if you consider what hovels you get in the centre for the same rate. Check-in was painless and efficient with very friendly staff, the room and bathroom we spotless. Everything from a minibar to toiletries, ironing board or bath robes can be found in the room. There is a good choice of TV channels as well, if you prefer to stay in at night.
The property is close to the A-10 dual carriage way, so getting there by car is easy. Parking not necessarly, as the hotel charges a whopping €43 per day. On weekends the situation is a bit more relaxed to find free parking as all the office buildings nearby are deserted. There is also an appartment block just south of the hotel, we we parked our car at nil cost.
For getting around you can purchase tram and metro tickets at Amsterdam Zuid station (€7 for 24 hours), which is just a three- minute walk away. The city centre can be reached by tram, metro or bus, which all run regularly.
I can thoroughly recommend staying at Crowne Plaza South, it will definitely be my fisrt choice on my next visit to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: All room windows seemd to be sound- proof.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear valued guest,

We thank you sincerely for reviewing your stay in Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South on Tripadvisor.

It is wonderful to see that you were content with the price – quality level that we offer and that the staff service and facilities were also at your satisfaction.

Great as well that you discovered the alternative parking possibilities. The municipal parking garage near the hotel indeed charges high amounts, which is unfortunately an inevitable downside of staying in Amsterdam with a car. But luckily the prices in the area around the hotel are of a more moderate level and public transport is arranged very well.

Thank you for recommending us to other travellers and we look forward to your return visit to Amsterdam.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay here. The hotel is very new and the service is great. Drinks from the Manhattan bar are very reasonable.

Very much a boutique hotel with excellent interior and received a room on the 6th floor which was nice

From the airport the train to Zuid takes 8 minutes and cost only €3.

Only slight downside was that I did there was no Platinum elite recognition.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel

• Stayed September 2012
Dear valued guest,

It was a pleasure to read in your Tripadvsiro review that you enjoyed staying in Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South.

Thank you for being so positive about our interior. It has obviously been selected with care but we highly appreciate it that our guests also confirm this.

Regrettably you were not content about the recognition that you received being a Platinum member. As we value all our members highly we kindly ask you to send your details to info.amspc@ihg.com at your earliest convenience, so we can investigate if there is any discrepancy in our system relating your membership. We would highly appreciate it to get in contact with you.

We are grateful that you will recommend us and we definitely hope to be your hotel of choice when you visit Amsterdam again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

First of all, even though it's location is not a central one, the transport links are great, having Station Zuid (serves tram, tube, bus) 5 min away, so a 10-15 min tram ride took me to the heart of the city. Hotel is new(1-2yrs), modern and chic, Staff went the extra mile, no matter what i asked them, all with a big smile on their face. From the simple coffee in the morning to paying with a different currency and 2 credit cards at check-out.....i tried their patience and politeness in all the ways, and they did not dissapoint, especially the front office people. Food wise, i only had breakfast, where they have a good selection of hot and cold food, plus a chef station(great guy...great omlettes)...so it was def worth it. Come to think about it, i honestly cannot find anything bad or average to say about this hotel. Looking forward to my next trip there and those heavenly beds.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for informing us about your stay at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South. Reviews of our guests are a great motivation for the entire team to continue to aim higher and work better together.

It was truly rewarding to learn what positive image the staff members left behind. It is our goal and passion to assist our guests in making their trip memorable and successful.

Great as well that you enjoyed the breakfast. A healthy breakfast is the perfect start of an active day. For the perfect end to your day, our Sleep Advantage programme with Quiet Zones (our fifth floor), plump soft pillows, luxurious duvets, deeply indulgent mattress toppers, sleeping tips and aroma therapy, may be a good help.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to be your hotel of choice when you return to Amsterdam.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

New and modern hotel in an upcoming business district of Amsterdam. I very much enjoyed my stay here. Staff very friendly and helpful. The only downside was the food as it wasn't very good but the hotel is located near a train station and there's plenty of restaurants around it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor and informing us about your stay with us in the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South.

We were happy to find out that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff members were able to assist you at your satisfaction.

However it was concerning for us to learn that you were not impressed by the food we served you. As we take our guests impression very serious, we would appreciate to receive your specific feedback. Kindly inform our Food & Beverage Manager through info.amspc@ihg.com about your observations.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back as our guest in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

One of the best hotels I have stayed in. The staff where superb, very helpful and I would Definitely recommend it to anyone. Great location for all tourists and definitely worth the money, would book again.

CPSouth, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your brief yet very positive review on Tripadvisor.

Your complimentary words about our staff are highly appreciated and we are very happy that you consider us one of the best hotels you have ever stayed in. Being recommended is the best advertisement a hotel can get and it only stimulates us to continue to focus on maintaining and improving our product and service.

We sincerely hope to have you as our guest again upon your next visit to Amsterdam and thank you again for your review.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I spent two weeks in Europe, and this hotel was my favorite from our entire trip. The rooms are laid out well, the bed was incredibly comfortable, and they provided great customer service. It would have been nice to be closer to Amsterdam in some ways, but on the other hand this hotel would have been a lot more expensive. It is located right by a train station, and it took maybe 10 minutes to get into the city. It provided a nice quiet oasis for us. Plus, all day train tickets are very affordable (I think only 6 Euro) so we often came back to our room to rest.

I especially appreciated the infused water in the lobby. I'd fill up my water bottle with the mint water and it was a nice treat all day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

It was a pleasure to read your Tripadvisor review in which you mention our hotel to be the favourite one you stayed in during your trip to Europe. It is a compliment to know that our customer service contributed to that.

Great as well to read that you positively experienced our quiet location outside the busy city centre, also thanks to the very efficient public transport options that are situated close by the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam- South when you visit Amsterdam again and thank you again for your kind words.

Ingrid van Veen

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South? Share your experiences!