“Very Impressed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre

You added Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Staalmeesterslaan 410, 1057 PH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #71 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Derby, United Kingdom
“Very Impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Approaching the property you will notice that it looks very miserable, I think it's an old block of flats/offices, but do not let that put you off!! The hotel is very modern and rather beautiful. We checked in and were placed on the 14th floor, we had 2 rooms. The rooms, although on the small side, are modern, clean and comfortable. They had a the facilities you could possibly need on a short break to Amsterdam. The bathroom was also modern and the shower was amazing. The restaurant was on floor 17 and that is where breakfast was served, the view was incredible and the food was very good. We travelled for my sisters birthday so decided to head upto Floor17 (cocktail bar) on her birthday night, although quite pricey the cocktail were good, the view at night time was even better and the decor was what you would imagine from a stylish cocktail bar. The location is also good, the tram stops just outside the hotel and take approx. 10 mins to get to Dam Square (or a 45 minute walk), would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Ell14,

Let me start with expressing my gratitude for having taken the time to leave our hotel such a kind review!

I am glad you found the hotel to be ‘’very modern and rather beautiful’’ al though you were not impressed upon the first sight. We do indeed operate from a former office building; looking at it that way, you could think of the hotel as one large recycling project!

Thank you for selecting us to be your preferred accommodation choice in the city for such an important occasion and we were delighted to have made your stay comfortable and shared your special day with you.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We have just got back from a long weekend in amsterdam.
We got off our flight with only hand luggage so went straight through customs in to the massive arrival hall looking for the ramada shuttle bus stop.. We asked at the info desk and the kind lady told us exactly where we need to be, easy to find just outside the airport doors...
Waited 10 minutes until the ramada minibus arrived, the minibus was like an executive minibus very comfy and the driver was well dressed and polite.
Got to the hotel checked in (a 150 euro deposit is req per room), given a key card for the luggage room as our room wasn't available, went to the locker room... Very secure single lockers.
Shaving kits and European plugs are available at reception.
We bought some tram tickets from the little shop inside the hotel, 7.50 euros for 24 hours.
Tram stop is next to the hotel number 13 takes you to central station in about 10 minutes.
It's 1 straight road though so a nice walk once you know where to go.
Rembradnt park is right opposite the hotel, it's a big area lovely for a nice stroll.
1st stop on the tram is a small square with some shops, cafés, coffee shop and a supermarket.
Back at the hotel we got out room key and went to settle in, lovely room, stunning views of the park, clean and modern.
Tea and coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, shaving socket on the hairdryer is a uk socket.
Could not fault this hotel at all, if you want somewhere to stay that I'd close to everything stay here to will not be disappointed.

Things you need to do

Get on a canal boat as soon as you can.
Get to museums early as ques can get big.
Try a chicken kebab
Good coffee shops are grey area, black star, amnesia
Visit Amstel it's lovely and picturesque
Take lots of pics
Watch you personal belongings as it's very busy and quite a few shifty people in the centre.
Take Comfy shoes as it's a massive city and an be tiring on the feet.
Get a Chinese massage on your feet 25 euro for half an hour.

We wail be returning in November to the ramada, top quality hotels with excellent service

Room Tip: Higher looks, looking over the park
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms

Dear Kelly W,

It has been a real pleasure reading the extensive review you have left our hotel; Thank you so much for all of your kind words!

As you have mentioned a large part of the range of facilities that our hotel and its surroundings has to offer, you leave me with no more than just to say thank you. I really hope we will have the honor and the privilege of welcoming you to the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam once again!

Warm regards,

Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The hotel Ramada Apollo amsterdam Central was an excellent base to explore the town. Situated on tram 13, it was really easy and cheap to get to the town centre.The hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport but there is a fare of 5 Euros on departure.
Staff was extremely efficient and friendly and were upgraded to the 16th floor free of charge. The hotel offers a great bird's eye view ot Amsterdam from the panoramic 17th floor terrace.
I would stay there again on my next visit.

Room Tip: higher floor for the view
Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Berber44,

How kind of you to leave us such a positive review on TripAdvisor, such feedback is very much appreciated.

I am very glad that you had such a great time whilst staying at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam. In addition, I would like to thank you for mentioning the great location the hotel boasts!

We are looking forward to your (possible) next arrival, your loyalty and satisfaction is our main priority.

Kind regards,

Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here for four nights in July. The hotel has to be commended for the attitude of the front desk staff. All were polite and as helpful as they could be to us. There is a 150 Euro deposit to pay on arrival and we had to pay this in cash as none of our debit or credit cards worked on their machines. There is a 3 Euro per day tax to be paid at the end of the stay, it would be helpful if this were pointed out at check in, just so people are aware. We were told on arrival that if we booked breakfast the night before we wanted it it would be 12 Euro each rather than 15 Euro each. The second time we ordered breakfast for the following day we were told that in order to get this reduction we had to book breakfast for the full 4 day stay, on arrival. We pointed out that we had not been told this and the management apologised for the confusion and we had our second breakfast free of charge. The matter was dealt with satisfactorily I suggest that a little information card would be helpful for new guests outlining the tax and breakfast reduction availability. The breakfast is buffet style and satisfactory. We only attempted the sky bar on the 17th floor once and failed to get served after 20 minutes of waiting which put us off using it. The staff were not anywhere as helpful as the reception staff. As a result of not getting served we didn't use the bar during our stay preferring to have our last drink in the city, the hotel must lose a lot of revenue from clients such as us. It is possible to obtain milk for the room from a little 'supplies' type area at reception. The Dutch don't normally take milk and that is why it is not standard in the room. The cost of a metered taxi from Amsterdam is £23 Euro as we found out to our cost on missing the last tram !! This has been mentioned on other entries. Because of the location we purchased a travel card for 21 Euros each from a separate office outside the main Central Railway, this covered 96 hours of tram, bus and metro use which saved us a fortune.

With regard to the hotel we were very happy overall with our stay. and we extend a grateful thank you to the reception desk staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Trisha03,

Thank you very much for leaving such an extended review on TripAdvisor!

I’m very sorry for your less positive experience at Floor 17. On the other side I’m glad we were able to solve your issues rather quickly. In case you would like to point out your comments one more time, please do not hesitate to contact me in person.

Again, thank you very much for all your useful feedback. This can definitely be used to update our level of service.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We spent a WE of December. Although a bit difficult to find if coming by train from the airport , the hotel turned out to be simply fantastic; well communicated by tram to the city center, big room, modern atmosphere, huge and comfortable double bed, rotating led tv set, sauna, fitness room, and above all, great welcome. Remember to ask for shuttle service to airport to save time and money (just 5 Eur). Excellent ratio quality -price.

• Stayed December 2013
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear vgs77,

Thank you so much for leaving the hotel such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor!

I am very grateful for all the lovely comments you spend on the facilities our hotel has to offer. I will definitely share all your amazing words among my team.

From the airport we do actually povide a free shuttle bus. This is much more convient than the public transportation. In case you will arrive very late, you can take a train to central station. From there you only have to hop on tram 13. This tram stops right next to the hotel.

Again, thank you very much for writing us a review and I do hope to welcome you back once more.

Hotel manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I travel weekly for work and often for pleasure. I was excited to test this new hotel as it had been recommended by friends in Amsterdam due to the great rooftop bar. If I have to summarize my experience: I have never had such a negative experience in my life. I'm not one to complain and certainly adapt to various cultural differences, languages etc but the service I received, or lack there of, was completely unacceptable.

I was skeptical to stay at the Ramada. I did not know Ramada was a 4 star hotel. They are far from 4 star given the amenities and services they do not provide. My arrival experience was satisfactory and I was upgraded to a 'large' room which was still small with a city view - that was one positive but the only one.

I went to the room and there was a 10 EUR fee for room service. I went downstairs and I was given a paper cup for water. I then went to the amazing roof top bar for lunch where there was no one. I waited 20 minutes for a menu and was served with an attitude and no smile. I live in Paris and am used to attitude. I am not sure why they needed to have an attitude at this place: it's just a Ramada 4km away from the center of Amsterdam…

The next day they did not clean my room. I still have not received an explanation as to why. I called 4 times to have new towels and soap. I bought my own soap because it was never replaced despite multiple requests. I also put the Do not Disturb sign on the door and the maid knocked on my door at 11am.

I went to breakfast at 11am on Saturday and was informed it stopped at 10:30. My fault which is fine. I asked where I could get food in the hotel. The response: Nothing in the hotel is open and all kitchens are closed. I was shocked; I was told 'these are the rules, I cannot do anything' by the Restaurant Manager. That was very unprofessional. I went to a restaurant outside the hotel and paid additional money when I had breakfast included in my rate.

At night, it was very hot in AMS at this time of year. The air-conditioning broke and it took over 5 hours to repair. I went to the rooftop bar again and it took 15 minutes to get a menu, 45 minutes to be served and unfriendly wait staff.

Upon checkout my card did not work due to some cards in AMS not working as they do in most places. I had to take out cash and the hotel said 'We have to hold your back and ID as ransom'

Needless to say, I will not stay at this hotel again and will advise family, friends and colleagues to consider other options. It's too bad; the hotel has potential with a great view of the city from the roof. Price is high for what it is, far from centre and staff and services are the worst I have experienced ever. A public explanation and apology from the hotel would also be appreciated.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, please ask for a room with a view on high floor and negotiate not to pay the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Derek R,

Let me start by expressing my apologies for whatever inconvenience you have experienced during your stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam. I find it a pity that we did not have the chance to meet in person, and discuss these matters already during your stay.

Having read your review, I feel that on the one hand the course of events was sometimes a bit unfortunate (in regard to the breakfast time, your card not working and the A/C installation), and on the other hand sometimes our service delivery was not up to our standards. Finally, having read your complaints about the cleaning of your room; I am afraid there has been some misunderstanding if the Housekeeping department could, or could not clean your room.

Please know that we have had extended talks with all responsible department(s) (heads) in order to prevent such matters in the future.

I would oncemore like to apoligize to you for your unsatisfactionary stay. In addition I would like to emphasize that this is indeed not our standard.

I do hope to have informed up to your satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to contact me in person or reach out to the hotel.

Warm regards,

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. The rooms though small were adequate. The curtains blocked out the perennial summer sun well. The rooftop deck is decorated nicely. I loved the cafeteria mostly because of the unique way they serve plates and food - self serve chic with a great view. The tram is say 20mins ride to city center where you can visit westerkerk, anne frank house, jordaan area, dam square and the red light district. I would stay here again. Even made a video of my stay http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAlgsRmyQUk. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear TravelBuggy2.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

I have passed on your kind words to our Floor 17 restaurant employees; it is such comments that really keep us going!

I am very glad you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel as in Amsterdam in general. If you ever see a chance to visit our wonderful city again, I really hope we will have the honor of welcoming you again at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam.