“short w-e in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hereford, United Kingdom
“short w-e in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The hotel Ramada Apollo amsterdam Central was an excellent base to explore the town. Situated on tram 13, it was really easy and cheap to get to the town centre.The hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport but there is a fare of 5 Euros on departure.
Staff was extremely efficient and friendly and were upgraded to the 16th floor free of charge. The hotel offers a great bird's eye view ot Amsterdam from the panoramic 17th floor terrace.
I would stay there again on my next visit.

Room Tip: higher floor for the view
Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Berber44,

How kind of you to leave us such a positive review on TripAdvisor, such feedback is very much appreciated.

I am very glad that you had such a great time whilst staying at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam. In addition, I would like to thank you for mentioning the great location the hotel boasts!

We are looking forward to your (possible) next arrival, your loyalty and satisfaction is our main priority.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here for four nights in July. The hotel has to be commended for the attitude of the front desk staff. All were polite and as helpful as they could be to us. There is a 150 Euro deposit to pay on arrival and we had to pay this in cash as none of our debit or credit cards worked on their machines. There is a 3 Euro per day tax to be paid at the end of the stay, it would be helpful if this were pointed out at check in, just so people are aware. We were told on arrival that if we booked breakfast the night before we wanted it it would be 12 Euro each rather than 15 Euro each. The second time we ordered breakfast for the following day we were told that in order to get this reduction we had to book breakfast for the full 4 day stay, on arrival. We pointed out that we had not been told this and the management apologised for the confusion and we had our second breakfast free of charge. The matter was dealt with satisfactorily I suggest that a little information card would be helpful for new guests outlining the tax and breakfast reduction availability. The breakfast is buffet style and satisfactory. We only attempted the sky bar on the 17th floor once and failed to get served after 20 minutes of waiting which put us off using it. The staff were not anywhere as helpful as the reception staff. As a result of not getting served we didn't use the bar during our stay preferring to have our last drink in the city, the hotel must lose a lot of revenue from clients such as us. It is possible to obtain milk for the room from a little 'supplies' type area at reception. The Dutch don't normally take milk and that is why it is not standard in the room. The cost of a metered taxi from Amsterdam is £23 Euro as we found out to our cost on missing the last tram !! This has been mentioned on other entries. Because of the location we purchased a travel card for 21 Euros each from a separate office outside the main Central Railway, this covered 96 hours of tram, bus and metro use which saved us a fortune.

With regard to the hotel we were very happy overall with our stay. and we extend a grateful thank you to the reception desk staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Trisha03,

Thank you very much for leaving such an extended review on TripAdvisor!

I’m very sorry for your less positive experience at Floor 17. On the other side I’m glad we were able to solve your issues rather quickly. In case you would like to point out your comments one more time, please do not hesitate to contact me in person.

Again, thank you very much for all your useful feedback. This can definitely be used to update our level of service.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spent a WE of December. Although a bit difficult to find if coming by train from the airport , the hotel turned out to be simply fantastic; well communicated by tram to the city center, big room, modern atmosphere, huge and comfortable double bed, rotating led tv set, sauna, fitness room, and above all, great welcome. Remember to ask for shuttle service to airport to save time and money (just 5 Eur). Excellent ratio quality -price.

• Stayed December 2013
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear vgs77,

Thank you so much for leaving the hotel such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor!

I am very grateful for all the lovely comments you spend on the facilities our hotel has to offer. I will definitely share all your amazing words among my team.

From the airport we do actually povide a free shuttle bus. This is much more convient than the public transportation. In case you will arrive very late, you can take a train to central station. From there you only have to hop on tram 13. This tram stops right next to the hotel.

Again, thank you very much for writing us a review and I do hope to welcome you back once more.

Hotel manager
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I travel weekly for work and often for pleasure. I was excited to test this new hotel as it had been recommended by friends in Amsterdam due to the great rooftop bar. If I have to summarize my experience: I have never had such a negative experience in my life. I'm not one to complain and certainly adapt to various cultural differences, languages etc but the service I received, or lack there of, was completely unacceptable.

I was skeptical to stay at the Ramada. I did not know Ramada was a 4 star hotel. They are far from 4 star given the amenities and services they do not provide. My arrival experience was satisfactory and I was upgraded to a 'large' room which was still small with a city view - that was one positive but the only one.

I went to the room and there was a 10 EUR fee for room service. I went downstairs and I was given a paper cup for water. I then went to the amazing roof top bar for lunch where there was no one. I waited 20 minutes for a menu and was served with an attitude and no smile. I live in Paris and am used to attitude. I am not sure why they needed to have an attitude at this place: it's just a Ramada 4km away from the center of Amsterdam…

The next day they did not clean my room. I still have not received an explanation as to why. I called 4 times to have new towels and soap. I bought my own soap because it was never replaced despite multiple requests. I also put the Do not Disturb sign on the door and the maid knocked on my door at 11am.

I went to breakfast at 11am on Saturday and was informed it stopped at 10:30. My fault which is fine. I asked where I could get food in the hotel. The response: Nothing in the hotel is open and all kitchens are closed. I was shocked; I was told 'these are the rules, I cannot do anything' by the Restaurant Manager. That was very unprofessional. I went to a restaurant outside the hotel and paid additional money when I had breakfast included in my rate.

At night, it was very hot in AMS at this time of year. The air-conditioning broke and it took over 5 hours to repair. I went to the rooftop bar again and it took 15 minutes to get a menu, 45 minutes to be served and unfriendly wait staff.

Upon checkout my card did not work due to some cards in AMS not working as they do in most places. I had to take out cash and the hotel said 'We have to hold your back and ID as ransom'

Needless to say, I will not stay at this hotel again and will advise family, friends and colleagues to consider other options. It's too bad; the hotel has potential with a great view of the city from the roof. Price is high for what it is, far from centre and staff and services are the worst I have experienced ever. A public explanation and apology from the hotel would also be appreciated.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, please ask for a room with a view on high floor and negotiate not to pay the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Derek R,

Let me start by expressing my apologies for whatever inconvenience you have experienced during your stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam. I find it a pity that we did not have the chance to meet in person, and discuss these matters already during your stay.

Having read your review, I feel that on the one hand the course of events was sometimes a bit unfortunate (in regard to the breakfast time, your card not working and the A/C installation), and on the other hand sometimes our service delivery was not up to our standards. Finally, having read your complaints about the cleaning of your room; I am afraid there has been some misunderstanding if the Housekeeping department could, or could not clean your room.

Please know that we have had extended talks with all responsible department(s) (heads) in order to prevent such matters in the future.

I would oncemore like to apoligize to you for your unsatisfactionary stay. In addition I would like to emphasize that this is indeed not our standard.

I do hope to have informed up to your satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to contact me in person or reach out to the hotel.

Warm regards,

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here. The rooms though small were adequate. The curtains blocked out the perennial summer sun well. The rooftop deck is decorated nicely. I loved the cafeteria mostly because of the unique way they serve plates and food - self serve chic with a great view. The tram is say 20mins ride to city center where you can visit westerkerk, anne frank house, jordaan area, dam square and the red light district. I would stay here again. Even made a video of my stay http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAlgsRmyQUk. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear TravelBuggy2.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

I have passed on your kind words to our Floor 17 restaurant employees; it is such comments that really keep us going!

I am very glad you have enjoyed your stay in the hotel as in Amsterdam in general. If you ever see a chance to visit our wonderful city again, I really hope we will have the honor of welcoming you again at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam.

Oldenburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

You can read other reviews about the hotel facilities, this review is strictly on its location.

While it is only about 4 km from the center of town, the tram takes about 20 minutes. There is only one tram line that comes to the hotel (#13). The tram is right outside the door and comes often, but if you intend to be out late, then the timing may not work for you. No other line gets within a km of the hotel.

The #13 tram stops leaving the city around 12:30am and the only option after that is the Night bus, which doesn't start until 1:15am. Unfortunately, the bus makes a large loop and it takes 30-40 minutes to get to the hotel. Our night bus "wasn't going to Ramada yet" when we got on (who knows why), but thank god the bus driver went there anyway since we were the only group on the bus. I would take a cab next time.

We didn't feel that it was easy to stop into the hotel throughout the day, to change shoes or grab forgotten items. We wouldn't necessarily swear off the hotel because of it's location, but you should be prepared to spend a lot of time getting there.

Room Tip: If you don't face the park/city, you look over a smaller building's roof
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Boudewijn M, Owner at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Karin Y,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us such an extended review on TripAdvisor.

The hotel is indeed located right next to the heart of the city centre. To the dam square it should take approximately 15 minutes.

To go back by night I do indeed advise a taxi. The charges are around €15 and you will be back at the hotel in not more than 15 minutes form each location in the city centre.

Again, thank you for much for providing our future guests witch such useful information and I do certainly hope to welcome you once more.

Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

When claiming to be four star the hotel needs to ensure that the relative creature comforts such as shampoo, soap/shower gel in the dispensers, real cups in the room (not paper or plastic) are available for guests. Fresh milk would be good as well as at least two servings of tea/coffee per person. None of this was in our room. The desk staff were polite and helpful but the coffee bar/watering hole were almost always unattended and the drinking water jugs stood empty. The arrival of a group of Hells Angels didn't add to the ambience! The room was clean and adequately furnished although the air conditioning was out of order which didn't help with 30 degrees temperatures. The response I received from reception when I reported it was that it was hot so everyone was using it! Really!
The transfer to the airport was cheap and efficient. The views from the 17th floor are exceptional and the nearby tram to town was an added bonus. A good trip but I suggest that the hotel concentrates on the little extras in the rooms if it wishes to be considered as a true 4 star facility.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Boudewijn M, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear dgsw1,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us such useful feedback regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

We did indeed suffer under the unusual heath in Holland the last weekend. I’m afraid our AC did indeed face some troubles due to his situation.

Regarding the guests visiting our hotel, I can only that we do welcome everybody booking a room in the hotel.

On the other side, I’m very glad with your comments towards our shuttle service and Floor 17. I will definitely share these among my team.

Again, thank you very much for sharing all your feedback. This does really help us improving our services.

Hotel Manager

Been to Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!