“Generally Brilliant :)” 4 of 5 stars

Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #73 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“Generally Brilliant :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Me and my partner visited this hotel twice last year, once in September and again in December and both times it has felt like a second home for us. The facilities are fantastic, the rooms are spacious and we enjoyed a really great 3 course meal in the 17th floor restaurant; probably the only negative thing I have to say about the place is that the windows of our room were quite dirty; such that it stopped me from taking a picture of the amazing view (my cameras lens kept focusing on the dirt rather than the view) and the buffet breakfast was a big let down, mainly because it was predominantly a continental breakfast and did not have the features of the full English breakfast I am used to here in the U.K; and at 40 euros my expectations were high. Apart from that though the place is fantastic and during our December trip they had decorated the hotel lobby with the most amazing Christmas decorations ever - hopefully this is something they do every Christmas as I will probably be back in December again this year if not sooner :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

1,078 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Exton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel is not in the city center, if you want to be right in the midst of the action this is not the place for you. It is, however, a short train ride away and a stop is right outside the hotel. The rooms were a bit small, that was expected, but very clean. The hotel staff was kind to us and we had no challenges with customer service. It is a standard business hotel, the kind of place I would probably stay for a conference. It was acceptable for the price we paid and I would stay here again. Coffee and tea in room and in lobby. We did not make it to the continental breakfast, but it was offered to us when we checked in.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Boudewijn M, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, today
Dear D J,

Thank you very much for providing us with a lovely review on TripAdvisor!

I’m very glad to read the you would stay with us again when visiting Amsterdam, this is a big compliment to the whole Ramada team. The tram does indeed bring all our guests to the Dam square in just 12 minutes. Tickets can even be purchased within the hotel in our travelshop.

It was a real pleasure welcoming you at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre and I do hope to do so again any time soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My partner and I booked this hotel as part of a BA package, to attend a family wedding in Amsterdam. When we booked-in around mid-day and asked about lunch, we were told that all eating facilities in the hotel were closed as they were preparing for a major event on the 17th (restaurant) floor in the evening; no alternatives offered, including any nearby eateries ! The receptionist also said that we would be given a room on the 13th floor so as not to be too disturbed by the revelries that evening, but that it would a lovely room with good panoramic views. Throughout our stay, the reception staff were invariably polite and helpful.

In the event we were shown to a room on the 13th floor overlooking a vista of tower-blocks and motorways; if the room had been on the other side facing Rembrant Park, then indeed it would have had panoramic views.

The room was comfortable as per standard 4* international hotel; excepting only missing toiletries (shampoo, creams etc) in the bathroom. The design of the room (#1312), however, was very poor; my teenage son could have designed it better: wasted storage space, dangerous sharp edges near the bedhead etc......though still tolerable for a 4 day stay.

After settling-in to the room, we asked reception about eateries and shops in the vicinity, and I was told that these were available just a 5-minute walk away in a little local square. Indeed they were; comprising a supermarket, some lovely delicatessens, bars etc. and, with a local immigrant community, some interesting budget shops nearby.

In the evening we asked about food again and were told that only a chargeable ad-hoc buffet would be available in a ground floor 'corporate meeting' room. Indeed it was: a limited selection of dishes rather-hastily assembled with bar-bench chairs/tables. A fellow (American) resident complained that, like us and others there, he had not been told of the evening event or lack of restaurant facilities at any time until check-in. Poor communication or just lack of attention to Hotel guests??

On the last day of our stay, we went up to the (now open) 17th-floor restaurant to have lunch. The bartender said that only a bar snacks menu was available, he wasn't sure about any other food being available, and that some aircrew were having a special lunch in another part of the restaurant. He and the only other (lady) person on duty didn't seem interested in serving any customers; just in bantering among themselves.

When I asked to speak to the restaurant manager, a Mr Melle Schellekens appeared. He introduced himself as the F&B Manager...to which I said that I was an F&B (Fed Up and Bored) Hotel Guest; he didn't get the irony !! He - ALL THE WHILE LAUGHING AND SMILING !! - listened to my complaint about the terrible level of service, the lack of knowledge of staff, and the lack of food in the whole hotel, including the night-before experience.

I pointed-out that I didn't find all this very funny, also "Do you think this is the way to treat your Hotel Guests?"......no response, just a boring account of how he had worked in hotels across the world and knew his job !! He then asked the name of the male staff member who had given me the information about food. I reminded him that there was only ONE man (=bartender) on duty in the restaurant, he seemed not to know that ! When it became apparent that he wouldn't/coudn't appreciate the point being made or intended to take any action, I left him to "deal with my complaint in whatever way you feel fit, but I will make a formal complaint to the Hotel Management". He seemed totally disinterested.

So...If you go to this hotel, (which claims to have awards within the owner Wyndham Group), do ask about any events going-on during your stay; and be prepared for stone-walling from the management (sic) if you try to make a complaint or get redress!!

On the plus side, the hotel has a free shuttle from the airport, has the lovely Rembrant Park next door, is half an hour from the Central Station by tram, and has some interesting local shops and bars nearby.

Room Tip: Take a room on the other side of Room 1312. Although comfortable, the view is depressing!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel last week (27th June 2014) as part of a hen do of 10 girls. When we arrived at 10am, to our surprise our rooms were ready for us! We were just expecting to leave our luggage there and go out for the day. Our stay overall was great, the hotel and rooms were lovely with great facilities. The bar upstairs was very nice as were the cocktails! Unfortunately on our trip I fell very ill with a viral sickness bug on the last day of our stay there, and we were supposed to be checking out of our rooms at 12pm. The staff were literally amazing, they said not to worry about checking out and I could check out whenever I wanted (our flight was at 9pm that evening). They sent up 2 members of staff to my room to check if I was ok, they were lovely and said if I needed anything like water or food just to ask. They recommended getting a doctor out to me which they organised and he was there within about an hour. The staff kept checking on my progress with my sister (who originally reported the problem) throughout the day. Even with staff changeovers, they had obviously liaised with each other as new members of staff at the reception were aware of the problem. I cannot fault how they dealt with me, I was extremely poorly and they could not do more to help me. I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to all of the staff there for helping me as falling ill in a foreign country can be a scary experience and they really made me feel a lot better about the situation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Feebee 1989,

I have just read your wonderful review regarding your recent stay in our hotel and I would like to thank you for your kind and enthusiastic words.

I am very glad that my staff was able to assist you in such a positive way. I have passed on your kind words to the whole Ramada team. Really, a bigger compliment than this is hard to imagine!

We do certainly hope that when visiting Amsterdam again, we will have the honor of welcoming you in our hotel!

With warm regards,
Vadodara, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Hotel was quite average business hotel. Rooms very tidy and professional, service at front desk was partially poor. Poor meaning not customer focused, complicated, unaccurate information given and responses to email were slow or not given at all. Location next to park is good for jogging and access to city with tram excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear MatkaajaJouni,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor!

I’m very sorry to read about your rather negative experience with the Front Desk. Due to the fact that service is one of our main focus points I will definitely discuss this with the repsonsible Manager and employees to prevent this from happening in the future.

Please feel free to contact me in person by calling the hotel on your earliest convenience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel recently and was very impressed with both the service and the hotel itself. I was on a stag weekend at the time but enjoyed my stay here so much I decided to return to Amsterdam and book the Ramada Apollo this time with my fiancé by my side. I liked the fact that even after check out the staff there allowed us to use the shower facilities on site as we had a late flight that day. I'm looking forward to returning to the Ramada on the 25th of this month for two nights and showing my partner how beautiful Amsterdam is. If you read the previous reviews everyone mentions how much of a great view you get from the sky bar. Unfortunately the only way your ever going to understand what they are talking about is by booking into the Ramada and seeing it for yourself.

B.Campbell

Stayed June 2014
Dear Brad C,

Thank you very much for providing us with such an amazing review TripAdvisor!

The fact that we were able to fulfill all your expectations is one of the biggest compliments we can get! I will definitely pass on your kind words to the Ramada team.

I’m very glad to read that we were able to provide you with such a succesfull stag party is a real honor to me.

Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I stayed here last month for 2 nights and I can honestly say its a really great hotel. Service from every single member of staff was great, the room was beautifully decorated and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! The skybar on floor 17 is a must see as the views of Amsterdam are amazing, not far to the centre of Amsterdam and I would recommend hiring a bike from the hotel to get there!

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Alex 784,

I would like to express my gratitude to you for leaving us such a wonderful review!

Thank you for selecting us to be your preferred accommodation in the city of Amsterdam, we are all very delighted to provide you with such a comfortable stay.

In addition, thank you so much for leaving such kind words for the facilities the hotel has to offer; Floor 17 indeed boosts lovely views over the city of Amsterdam. If you are ever to visit us again please have a look at our rooftop terrace as well; from the 19th floor the views over Amsterdam are even more impressive!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.

With warm regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!