“Bit out side from town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre

You added Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre to your Saves list
Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Staalmeesterslaan 410, 1057 PH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #63 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Bit out side from town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

The location of hotel is bit out side from town, but not made problem since very easy to reach central amsterdam or central station, just walk to the corner and take tram to city. Nice view from the room you could have few of amsterdam. Room clean and comfort. Breakfast in 17 floor you will enjoy nice view of whole amsterdam.

Imre H, Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear ong_giri,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us a review on tripadvisor!

I would also like to thank you for providing such useful information to our future guests regarding the public transportation.

It was a pleasure welcoming you as a guest, and I do hope to do so again in the future.

Boudewijn Martens
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Kent, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at the Ramada Apollo for 3 nights over a long weekend in Amsterdam. The hotel is very conveniently located, with the No 13 tram stop nearby, which takes you right into Central Station. We had a 2nd floor room overlooking the nearby motorway - not a romantic view, but the sound insulation was so good that we never heard any road noise. The beds were extremely comfortable, amongst the best we have slept on in a hotel for a long time. The room was well equipped with a room safe, a kettle and the wherewithal to make tea and coffee, although proper cups would have been nicer than the cardboard ones provided. Brits should take their own tea bags and milk, because the tea provided was not as we know it! Once we got the hang of it, the air conditioning kept the room temperature just as we like it. Breakfast, which was comprehensive and of good quality, was taken on Floor 17, which gave a panoramic view over the city. We visited the bar, on the same floor, in the evening, and had the same breathtaking view, of the city at night. Although a limited range of food was available, we felt that it was expensive,, so hopped into the city for evening meals. Service was polite and efficient throughout our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Traveller130853,

Thank you very much for all your lovely comments regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

The fact that this bed was extremely comfortable is from great importance to us! Also your compliments regarding the delivered service will definitely be shared among the Ramada team.

It was a pleasure reading your review and all your suggestions for our future guests.

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at the Ramada Apollo Hotel. It is a lovely hotel with clean big rooms, comfortable beds, roomy bathroom with lovely shower. We were on the 8th floor and had a lovely view. The restaurant and bar is up on the 17th floor which has far retching views across the City. We only ate breakfast in the hotel but this was good - with plenty of choice. As others have said the number 13 tram takes you straight to Centraal Station. All in all the best City hotel I've stayed in a while.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TheClarks55,

Thank you very much for this 5 bullet review, this really means the world to me and my team!

The fact that you describe the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre as the best City hotel you’ve ever stayed in is one of the biggest compliments we can get!

I do certainly hope to welcome you back once more.

Hotel manager
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel and we have enjoyed our stay!

Good Points:

It's a little outside of Amsterdam but the tram is only around the corner - don't let it put you off. I would in fact recommend being slightly out of it, if like us you prefer a bit of a quieter evening after sight seeing. The hotel has nice modern rooms and the views are fantastic over the city - very unique. The room is clean & fairly well stocked. Nice Bar on the 17th floor, good atmosphere. Very friendly staff at reception.

Bad Points:

I've read some bad reviews and there are some things that I do agree with, whilst others are just "moaning" for the sake of it. Anyway so things I think the Hotel could improve on:

Pillows: I was surprised to find only one for each bed in the room (there was a spare in closet but it was the same thickness), they were all big, and for someone who needs a thinner pillow to sleep I was disappointed that there wasn't an option in the hotel (I asked at reception). Even holiday Inn offers this so for a 4* I found that frustrating and I have slept uncomfortably two nights.

Silly English & their tea: This is for the Brits (cheeky monkeys that we are) - I would expect as part of the tea in the room to have some milk, but again I think it's because the dutch drink their tea black.

Other than this it is a great hotel & I do recommend it! Just be mindful as I've seen a lot of reviewers caught out, you will need to put either a credit card down or a £150 deposit when you check in, also there is a city tax, which frustrates the hell out of the Brits because we don't charge our tourists to visit the UK, but it's the done thing on the continent so just grin and bare it, its not much.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear dmheart,

Thank you very much for providing us with such a useful review!

I am however, quit surprised with the fact that no other pillows were offered to you. We do absolutely offer different pillows to our guests and I’m very sorry we not able to provide you with this service.

Regarding the tea, we do indeed drink our tea black. In case you’re visiting us again, please ask the reception desk to provide you with real milk. My colleagues will be to your disposal 24/7!

The fact that you would recommend this hotel is a big compliment to us, I will definitely share your kind words (and feedback) among my team.

Boudewijn Martens
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just stayed in the hotel for two nights from Friday 21st –Saturday 22nd.
I have broken every relevant area down into mini reviews.

UPON FIRST ARRIVING @ THE HOTEL: It looks quite old from the outside, one of my friends said it looked like council flats in Nottingham. It’s a big brown building.

INSIDE THE HOTEL: Don’t judge a book by its cover; it is lovely inside modern and funky.

HOTEL STAFF: Friendly and very knowledgeable on how to get to all the tourist attractions.

EARLY CHECK IN: We got there way before 3.00- and were able to go straight to our rooms, I realise this may not apply to everyone but we got lucky.

LOCATION: The hotel is not in the centre but just 5 mins walk away behind the hotel there is the tram line which in 15 minutes will get you to the centre. Also Taxi is an option averaging around 3-4 euros each for a group of 6 people to the town centre.

INTERNET: Free wi-fi. We never had any network problems also two computers which are free to use with free access of the internet.

SOUVENEIR SHOP: There is a quaint souvenir shop around the reception area.

SEATING: By the reception there is an abundance of seating areas which makes a nice alternative to just sitting in your room all the time.

ICE: Lol there is a machine with ice on every floor- I’m not sure what this was for but it became a novelty.

ROOMS: Heating was set on constant 25 so you were really hot through the night. There is no air as the windows do not open however you can get ventilation by opening your room door.

ROOMS: We were sharing 3 people in 1 room. Initially there was only 2 beds in there however before you could even dial room service; they arrived with an extra mattress if needed.

DÉCOR: The rooms were very modern with Usb ports, iron and iron board, hangers and a great big shower which was a highlight. There was also an abundance of towels.

HOTEL BAR AND RESTAURANT: Free complimentary cocktail when you arrive in the bar for the first time. We had an amazing gone- ask for this one it contains ginger, chilli, vanilla and strawberries…AMAZING! The bar is a sky bar which looks amazing at night as there is 360 degree views. The food is mid-range to quite pricey however you will know where that money goes when you taste how fresh and delicious the food is. Also they present the food beautifully. Order the soup if you want your food presented in a surprising way and like soup!

BREAKFAST: Lovely hot breakfast! Fresh croissants, 3 types of juice, pain o chocolate, eggs, beans, sausage, coffee, tea, yoghurts, cereal, fruit and bread. Served from 6.30am each day so we got to have breakfast before we left.

SHUTTLE BUS TO AIRPORT: There is a free shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel but upon leaving they charge 5 euros per person. You have to book in advance as the bus only takes 8 people at a time and there are only certain time slots the bus leaves.

SAUNA: There is one but we didn’t have time to visit so I can’t comment.

Room Tip: No tip-all the rooms are nice
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TravelL0ver9,
Thank you very much for this most wonderful review!
All your comments are a big compliment to the Ramada team and I will definitely share your kind words among them.
It was a pleasure welcoming you as a guest and I do hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We travelled just for the weekend, stayed just 1 night. We got a room at the 4th floor, which didn't have an awesome view but who cares.

The check in hour is really late (3pm) and if you drove all the way from south Germany, once you are there you want to leave your stuff at the room, eat something quickly and go down-town. But still you have to wait for your room to be ready (around 3:20pm) The guy at the reception was also more interested in smiling to the phone than to the guests.

After checking-in we were really hungry, so we went to the restaurant at the hotel (there you have a nice view) but the kitchen is "closed" and the only "satisfying" thing you can order before 7pm is a funny and expensive ceasar salad (with sardines) or a tiny soup, also really expensive. Up to that, things were ok.

THE REAL PROBLEM WAS AT 4AM!!! When their st***d staff wakes you up by mistake at 4am!!! They program the TV in your room to turn on, with pretty loud music. So, you get scared in the middle of the night and try to find the freaking remote control to shut that thing down.

STAFF PEOPLE from the reception, you only have 1 JOB and is not that hard! PAY MORE ATENTION TO THE ROOMS YOU ARE SETTING AN ALARM!! is not that difficult!! And try to smile while welcoming your guests! You don't know how tired they are. Maybe they have travelled over 18 hours from China and even if they don't seem happy to arrive at the hotel, IT IS YOUR JOB TO LOOK FRESH AND HAPPY AND CHARMING. SO DO IT WELL!

I was really disappointed about the alarm, they ruined our stay there. Never has that happend to us in other hotels and we travel often. I normally don't like to give feedbacks but this time I had to. You just don't mess up with someone's sleep. NO NO NO...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Silvy P,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time to leave us your feedback on tripadvisor.

I’m very sorry to read about your rather negative experience regarding your recent stay at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre.

Please do contact me in person so we can discuss this matter.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Having spent 5 nights at the Ramada Apollo Hotel I have to say it was the best location. Out of the hustle and bustle but only 20mins away by tram to Central Station using tram 13 and walking at a good pace 45 mins walk.
I was welcomed at the airport by the free shuttle mini bus which took me to the hotel in 20 mins and had the advice from the driver about the tram service which is in front of the hotel. You do not have to pre book the shuttle from the airport only from the hotel to the airport which is 5 Euros. The train is 4.50 Euros and you have to pay for the bus or tram on top.
I was on the 4th floor over looking Rembrandt Park, the neighbourhood has plenty of restaurants, bars and supermarkets. The room was very comfortable with tea/coffee making facilities and on the 3rd floor was an ice machine. I didn't use the floor 17 restaurant as I was out in the town anyway.The best thing I found was the 3 day tram/metro card amazing value and it only starts from the first time you check in on the tram the price was 16.50 Euros and if you need to, you can get 1hr cards for 2.80 Euros.
They have a free Sauna and fitness area but it was lacking in atmosphere so I didn't use it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Imre H, General Manager at Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Cheltenhamspa,

Thank you very much for leaving such useful information to our future guests on tripadvisor. I would also like to thank you for providing our future guests with such detailed travel information.

Thank you very much for staying at the Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre and I do hope to welcome you back in the (near) future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Ramada Apollo Amsterdam Centre? Share your experiences!